Spring is in the air!... and the steelies are in the tribs!!

pikeie

Well it has been a long time since i have taken the float rod and reel out, but that changed yesterday!

A classmate of mine wanted to get out to some rivers to see how the fishin is goin, i havent hit a river all winter and i was waiting for the first spring run of fish up the rivers! We hit our first creek and had nothing to show for it even after 2 hours so we decided to pack up and move further north along Superiors shoreline.

IMG_0050.jpg

After a quick drive we made it and quickly got suited up, altough it seemed a bunch of other people had the same plans as us lol there was probably 20 people fishing the main run in this river lol. So we waided past the crowds and took our drifts well below everyone else, fist drift my buddy loses one! Good sign! 20 minutes later my float goes down about 10 feet infront of my buddy lol i thought i was hung up at first untill i felt some quick headshakes followed by a blistering run lol. Boy it felt so good puting a bend in the long rod agian! after a long battle in some fast water i was able to get my hands under her!

IMG_0054.jpg

decided to keep this one ass its been awhile since we've fired up the smoker! and now i have a good supply of roe!

i move back into my drift to start all over agian. 15 minutes goes by and as im drifting a current seam my float drops really fast! I lean back and set the hook, i have never seen a steelie jump so high lol like 4 maybe 5 feet outa the water, and the waters still ice cold! knowing that it was a little bit of a smaller fish i put alot more pressure on him and got him to me pretty quick.

IMG_0051.jpg

gotta love the spring spawning colours on those males!

oh and a question for all u pinners, i let my friend try out my pin as he has never used one and long story short the spool came right off and landed in the water looseing one of the bearings, and ending my day. any idea where i can pick up bearings for a pin? if it heps the number on the bearing is SSR-4ZZ.

Thanks for reading/ any help with finding bearings lol.

Matt

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

Thanks for reading/ any help with finding bearings lol.

Matt

check verne's hardware on great northern...not too sure... i know you can order them on centerpinangling.com as well...

i'll just add my report to this one rather than making a new thread...

we headed out yesterday as well. knowing it would be busy in some of the tribs we took a little stroll to gain some solitude.

beach.jpg

The trib was fairly low and clear so we knew fish would be spooky in this estuary...light weight and light bobbers with white roe bags seemed to do the trick in the early morning light but as the sun rose fish went into hiding, possibly under the ice pack...

chunker.jpg

steeel.jpg

3lbsteel.jpg

For the afternoon we fished brookies through ice on a small lake nearby. Good times!

Real beaut trout----I noticed I really needed a post---I was at 666 posts-----thinkin not a good number

Bushart

depends on if you enjoy Iron Maiden or not

nice fish to both both of you...the insanity is about to begin ....