Went to The Sportsman Show-Great Experience

ScugogBoy

Ended up heading down to the Show this morning.....I took the "GO" train in and walked over to the Convention Centre (no parking fee this way...can also take the Subway).....

The new venue at the Toronto Convention Centre is "Great".....big, lot's of room , in 2 seperate halls connected (fishing in one and hunting in the other) and very bright as there are huge windows on one wall...

I did not need anything but prices seemed good for alot of fishing related stuff...ran into a couple freinds who were very happy with the deals they got.

Food is always expensive at these places but.........just in front of the centre were 3 BBQ big trucks (assorted menu)...got a hot dog and fries for only $4.50 (dollar extra for Polish sausage)...make sure you get your hand stamped as you leave the building so you can get back in.

Very interesting free fishing seminars I sat through also.

I visited an old freind "Phil" who started a new Club in Port Credit...they have a booth there (donated he said from The Sportsman Show) They are recruiting membership for helping raise funds and volunteers to raise 5,000 chinook salmon next month in a Pen to better the fishery off the Credit and help educate young people in this type of stuff.....I think it's called "Port Credit Salmon and Fishing Assoc"...they have alot of great prizes for member sign-ups.......visit them if you go down.......The guy that runs the Show (Walter Osler) has donated alot of booths to these types of organizations I understand and he donates alot of money also.....another reason to go and enjoy this Show...

I don't have any connection to the Show, but after being told all this from Phil...I thought it should be put out there...

The Show is there and I found it enjoyable...go down and check it out.....or if you don't go.....don't carp about it cause you were not down there to actualy check it out (it has changed this year for the better)

Yea it is $5 after 5. Expect to wait in line though. I went last night, lined up at about 4.50, they didn't move the line till 5. The number of exhibits were less than in the past, and you have a lot more walking to do. I liked how the show is split, but it was too much walking after a full days work... I felt like a kid whinning after the first two hours. lol.

Don't expect too many deals though. We did manage to pick up a couple of dipsey rods for $20 at Grimbsy tackle...SCORES!!!! I noticed there were more information style booths than before.

I'll be there again on Friday, but working the Port Credit Salmon and trout club's booth. $20 annual fee, with some great draw prizes for members. Its a brand new club, that is working on increase the salmon and Trout fishery in the western basin of Lake O. Walter O. was kind enough to donate the booth to the club.

I went yesterday and the new venue is very bright and well lit. I always found the other venue somewhat dingy. Good, cheap food outside on front street. The one thing though is that I know I missed a number of areas because of the way it's layed out. I think once I've been a few times I'll figure it out, but over all I like it.

I was there yesterday as well. New digs look good. I ended up with a great deal for a new outfit. I got a Shimano Cumara 6'8" rod from Natural Sports and the new Shimano Stratic 2500 at Lebarons. Both were a steal at under $200.00!

I think I got the last Stratic at Lebaron. Everyone else had them at $240.00 + tax. Lebarons had it at $190.00 + tax. The rod was originally $300.00 down to $200.00 taxes in!

I cant wait for Bass season to try this new puppy out.

TM

I normally go down to the show but every time I head down there always seems the be a hit or miss on carp baits and gear.

Rather head to the local store that I know does have gear then pay the admission and finding nothing. Has happened before. :huh:

DSN

Edited by DSN

I normally go down to the show but every time I head down there always seems the be a hit or miss on carp baits and gear.

Rather head to the local store that I know does have gear then pay the admission and finding nothing. Has happened before. :huh:

DSN

I saw some carp gear in one of the booths. I forget which one now. :rolleyes:

Here's the website for the new Port Credit Salmon and Trout Association http://www.pcsalmonandtrout.com. Will be expanded soon. You can sign up to keep in the loop on the club's activity.

Ended up heading down to the Show this morning.....I took the "GO" train in and walked over to the Convention Centre (no parking fee this way...can also take the Subway).....

The new venue at the Toronto Convention Centre is "Great".....big, lot's of room , in 2 seperate halls connected (fishing in one and hunting in the other) and very bright as there are huge windows on one wall...

I did not need anything but prices seemed good for alot of fishing related stuff...ran into a couple freinds who were very happy with the deals they got.

Food is always expensive at these places but.........just in front of the centre were 3 BBQ big trucks (assorted menu)...got a hot dog and fries for only $4.50 (dollar extra for Polish sausage)...make sure you get your hand stamped as you leave the building so you can get back in.

Very interesting free fishing seminars I sat through also.

I visited an old freind "Phil" who started a new Club in Port Credit...they have a booth there (donated he said from The Sportsman Show) They are recruiting membership for helping raise funds and volunteers to raise 5,000 chinook salmon next month in a Pen to better the fishery off the Credit and help educate young people in this type of stuff.....I think it's called "Port Credit Salmon and Fishing Assoc"...they have alot of great prizes for member sign-ups.......visit them if you go down.......The guy that runs the Show (Walter Osler) has donated alot of booths to these types of organizations I understand and he donates alot of money also.....another reason to go and enjoy this Show...

I don't have any connection to the Show, but after being told all this from Phil...I thought it should be put out there...

The Show is there and I found it enjoyable...go down and check it out.....or if you don't go.....don't carp about it cause you were not down there to actualy check it out (it has changed this year for the better)