Toronto Sportsmen's Show

craigdritchie

Toronto Sportsmen's Show  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to attend this year's show at its new venue in the Metro Convention Centre?

• Are you kidding? I would never miss the Toronto Sportsmen's Show.
    • Absolutely - I want to see the new layout and features.
    • Not sure - I'll see what other people have to say about it.
    • Not a chance - it costs too much to take the family.
    • Not a chance - parking downtown will be a nightmare.
    • I already bought my stuff at the Spring Fishing Show.
    • I can go to Bass Pro Shops or Le Baron for free.

I haven't been since the year after I stopped working at the trout pond. Leo and Steve (Fish On) got the contract with a cheaper offer and put in a free dark bottom pond. I used to love wandering around before and after hours, riding on the security golf carts etc. Free pizza at close was also a big highlight back in the day.

I heard through the grapevine Mariko Izumi might be at the show...That's another great reason to go :D

"Ms Izumi...Will you sign my T-shirt?" :wub:

She not bad but I find her annoying sometimes on her show...Give me April Vokey from Fly Max :worthy:

Seriously though I probably won't attend this year and mainly I find parking to be an issue.

She not bad but I find her annoying sometimes on her show...Give me April Vokey from Fly Max :worthy:

Agreed. Ms Vokey's not going to be at the show unfortunately :(. I love what she can do with a big, long rod like the one I have…Double handed fly rod of course :D

With that said…Nothing wrong with watching both on TV for tips... :whistling:

Have a funeral/visitation to go to tomorrow...Heading to the show Thursday instead around 5pm.

I always go during my march break. It's pretty cheap entertainment considering the gate ticket costs as much as a movie ticket nowadays. It's a different story when i start to buy things though. :devil: Also, since i live in the city there are no tackle stores around(unless i want to go to places where i'll to get stabbed). :rolleyes: I always have a great time checking out all the new fishing stuff in person,rather then just the internet.

Agreed. Ms Vokey's not going to be at the show unfortunately :(. I love what she can do with a big, long rod like the one I have…Double handed fly rod of course :D

With that said…Nothing wrong with watching both on TV for tips... :whistling:

Have a funeral/visitation to go to tomorrow...Heading to the show Thursday instead around 5pm.

Yes of course you meant the Spey Rod. <_<

Oh man too funny. :lol:

On a serious note sorry for your loss.

I'd have to agree with CPH. The show is a shadow of it's former self, but that slide began long before the dominance of the internet. What was purely an outdoors show for sportsmen has become more of a recreational show catering to all the new fads and trendy things that people spend wads of money on.

Last time I was there ( 4 years back) I counted 6 sock dealers, 4 bikini booths, lost count of the t-shirt dealers, wake boards, waterskis, jetskis, also manner of extreme adventure tours, packages and gimmicks. Half of the show is power toys. Fishing and hunting might take up a sixth of the show. What does a cheerleader squad have to do with fishing (beyond getting Ron and Leo excited?)

Our modern urban society does not value the outdoors in the way we did, and still do. They don't fish and hunt, a lot don't even have a clue where their food comes from. Nature is something they fear and revere, but like to view with a foolish childlike curiosity. The outdoors is just another place for showing off expensive toys and tearing up the ground ( to the detriment of the outdoors itself).

i will be going,

i always enjoy speaking with the lodge reps and getting a feel of the lodge from them

its also nice to walk around see all the gear in person and hopefully score on a few deals.

i also think its just another excuse to look at fishing crap for me. haha

cheers

First year in many I will not be going and I am thankful for the break as I am usually there on the retailer side. Most people attending have no idea of the time, effort and expense it takes for manufacturers and retailers to attend these shows. I hope it is a good show. It is good for the industry and enables many individuals to get introduced into our great sport. It is a great way to see the newest gear from manufacturers and see the products that you want to buy or just interested in.

We're headed to the Big Smoke on a Mega Bus from Kingston, there and back - no driving, no GO train, just a walk from the bus depot to Front St.

Gonna meet some friends, have a brown pop, talk to some people, check out the grab bins find the odd treasure there.

Gets us in the mood for the fishing season - OH Yea it's still on - out or some more Browning action on the weekend..........................

If you see a couple of older guys wearing the 2009 Trenton Walleye Derby Hats (YELLOW) say hello to Superdad.

Cheers

David aka Superdad

Guest Johnny Bass

I always enjoy the Sportsman show. Not as much deals as there used to be, though it is a nice fishing fix. It helps me through the off season. Plus you get to see a lot of guys you haven't seen in awhile and talk fishing. I'll probably go.

I too am worried about parking. Are they charging for parking?

Do they even have good deals at the sportsman show? You would think, with the stores having to pay the fee for them to be there, transporting gear and using extra staff that every thing would cost more then at your local fishing store. :wacko:

I'm thinking about going just to check it out. Haven't been in about 5 years now..

Do they even have good deals at the sportsman show? You would think, with the stores having to pay the fee for them to be there, transporting gear and using extra staff that every thing would cost more then at your local fishing store. :wacko:

I'm thinking about going just to check it out. Haven't been in about 5 years now..

I think that there are deals to be had, they just might be on things that you don't necessarily need. At the boat show this year I saw everyone walking around with mooring poles. Someone must have been giving them away, but I already had one. I think that you also have to keep in mind that there is almost no deal by the time you add cost to get there and cost to get in etc.

Which brings it back to what I look at it as; a day out to look at fishing/outdoors stuff.

Le Baron does have their no tax event and so do many of the fishing retailers (keeping up with the Joneses).

I'll tell you what I start to feel weird about is talking to boat vendors etc. when I know that I am not going to buy anything, Ya know? Same really with the outfitters that are there.

My son enjoys shooting a bow and arrow and blasting away at the paint ball booth and a couple of years ago went for an elephant ride (where else can you do that?)

Jim

NOPE! I will not fight the traffic to or in T.O., battle for a parking spot :wallbash: then be ripped off for renting that piece of pavement for a few hours :unsure: or endure the ride on the GO Train just so I can have the displeasure my wallet drained at the gate and then again for food and drinks. I can see about all I want to see at Fishing World, Bass Pro, LeBaron's or Bill's and not have to put up with all of the above.

When I was young I looked forward :P to it every year, a nice change, a little bit of entertainment :D and a sign that winter was just about over. But that was then, the last time I went I decided that was it.

I cannot picture the Sportsman Show being in the convention centre, it can't be anywhere close to the same atmosphere as the CNE.

I went today... it was the same old same old. My major issue was that in order to get to the hunting, outfitter, and dog part of the show, you had to walk for about 5 mins from the fishing section. It was quite annoying. There weren't to many deals as well. The only decent deal that I found was $10 for 4 packs of powerbait. But, other then that I had a good time checking out all the new fishing stuff.

P3170183.JPG

I also picked up some swimbaits to try out this year.

Edited by Tibbs