Loop Knots

NAW

I have been using a polymar knot for pretty much everything for the past few years. It’s so quick and easy to tie, and hasn’t failed me yet.

I am wondering if I’m selling myself short by using the same knot for everything??

I was watching a fishing show last weekend, and saw a guy using loop knots to tie a jig head.

I know that loop allows a lure to move more freely because the line is not tight on the lure.

I was just wondering what presentation you guys use loop knots for? And if you really think it's worth the extra time to tie them?

I was also wondering if they're as strong as a polymar?

I’m thinking they would be beneficial when using heavy flouro leader that would really effect the action of the lure if tied using a polymar knot. I mosly fish with a 6lb flouro leader, so that's not really an issue for me..

Any input would be great..

Thanks,

F-is-H

loop_knot_final.jpg

F-is-H, the loop knot is used mostly for body baits because is allows more action(wobble) to the lure as some mentioned above. Especially jerk baits.

Sometimes called the rapala knot as it is recommended by them for majority of their baits (body style)

One other application I use this knot for is Jigging spoons.

Good Luck

edit - just noticed the other question around strength. It is not as strong as the polymar, but about the same as the improved clinch. Spent sometime with a few other gents while working a show one year testing out various knots with the berkely knot tester.

Edited by Harrison

edit - just noticed the other question around strength. It is not as strong as the polymar, but about the same as the improved clinch. Spent sometime with a few other gents while working a show one year testing out various knots with the berkely knot tester.

I have to disagree since I use a double improved clinch knot when ever I don't need the loop knot and the loop knot doesn't even come close to the clinch knot strength. These are the only two knot I use 98% of the time........for body baits and jigging spoons etc.....I use a VERY SMALL Berkeley Cross Lock snap....as shown here....http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20293&id=0042807114447a&navCount=1&podId=0042807&parentId=cat20293&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

SIZE #1 is good for any body baits or jigging spoons when fishing walleye or bass. If I'm trolling for salmon or pike I move up to #3.

Bob

I love the rapala loop for all my body baits. However, I feel that using a loop for jigs is a very bad idea. When the line is slackthe loop may or may not be in contact with the eye of the jighead, when you pull the rod tip up quickly you are going to apply all kinds of snap pressure on the line right at the eye. Whereas with a normal knot like a palomar or uni etc, the pressure is always at that point where the eye is and there is no room for snapping pressure. I hope that made sense hehe, it was hard to describe.

I use the loop knot for vertical jigging. I use it on a two jig set up, usually with tubes, and mainly for panfish. I find that top tube tied with the loop knot gets me a lot more fish than the bottom jig every time. The tube has a different action, that is for sure.

S.

I love the rapala loop for all my body baits. However, I feel that using a loop for jigs is a very bad idea. When the line is slackthe loop may or may not be in contact with the eye of the jighead, when you pull the rod tip up quickly you are going to apply all kinds of snap pressure on the line right at the eye. Whereas with a normal knot like a palomar or uni etc, the pressure is always at that point where the eye is and there is no room for snapping pressure. I hope that made sense hehe, it was hard to describe.

I see your point here but it's not happening on my end of 35 years of using it.......I have seen a HIGH increase in bites, which result in a higher catch rate....I really wish what you were saying was true because the loop knot is inferior to many other knots......if you take a bullet head jig and tie a improved clinch knot, after a very short time the jig will hang wrong and catch much less fish.....but the knot is much better strength wise......even using the loop knot while fineness fishing with small 1/64 or 1/32 jigs for crappies really pays off as this is my specialty. But if anyone would rather use other knots I AM ALL FOR IT.... :)

I use the loop knot for vertical jigging. I use it on a two jig set up, usually with tubes, and mainly for panfish. I find that top tube tied with the loop knot gets me a lot more fish than the bottom jig every time. The tube has a different action, that is for sure.

S.

Sounds very similar to my perch rig, except I use a spoon on the top, not a jig. How far apart do you spread the jigs?

On a different note, did you make it out for the late goose season??