How to Bear proof a Backwoods Cabin.

holdfast

I was in town trying to figure out how to mount my deer antlers when It was suggested that I should see the local taxidermist for the answers of the questions I was asking. Well he gave me some advice and I thanked him, but I told him I wasn't going to pay $60 to him for him to do the work. But what I did find out is this guy is an interesting feller. Hes an old farmer that just happens to own a small plane in which he has a cabin way up north somewhere around Buffalo Narrows. I was really interested in what he told me about his remote cabin and the fishing on the lake that he flies into. Anyways to make a long story short, it seems that when his cabin was vacated he had bear problems. The Bears would get in to his cabin through his boarded windows and just make a huge mess. He told me that once a bear finds away in, its almost impossible to stop them from doing it again. But he found out a way.

A hinged Board with 2 ' dry wall screws as a deterrent under the windows. The hinge allowed the board to be propped up when occupied. He says since he installed the boards, no more bear problems. Has any one ever heard of this.

img039.jpg

you can see the boards propped up underneathe the windows.

img040.jpg

img041.jpg

I've seen this done

Ron Baron's Partridge Lake/ Kesagami camp had a few "beds of nails" that would be strategically laid out when the camp was vacant, Ron wasn't one to take any chances, also saw something similar at a camp in the Chapleau Game preserve (aka bear city)

I have also seen it done with nails by some Americans on a fly-in lake called Geejay. I built them a new cottage up there and there were many bears. It was a great experience. We flew in every Monday and out Fridays. We had all the material flown in by helicopter in one day. We stayed in a trapper cabin and built a 1200sq' new one right beside it. Fished and swam every night. It was a great 3 months.

Edited by trevy727

I have also seen it done with nails by some Americans on a fly-in lake called Geejay. I built them a new cottage up there and there were many bears. It was a great experience. We flew in every Monday and out Fridays. We had all the material flown in by helicopter in one day. We stayed in a trapper cabin and built a 1200sq' new one right beside it. Fished and swam every night. It was a great 3 months.

[/quotYea I know what you mean. I guess you know exactly what I meant when I was interested in hearing this mans story on his remote cabin. He also says he leaves the cabin unlocked as no matter what there is always someone who will enter it. He buries his tools as it would disappear. For the most part, he says the strangers will usually just leave garbage behind. He also says that there is a difference in the fishery once it has been netted. Pike and Pickerel on the Cabin Lake, but nice lakers a short ways from the lake.

what my buddy does in temagami for out post cabins is he has a steel door 12 inch squares that go on out side of door bolted aon and same for windows should solve problem dont leave food or garbage around

also what anoth group did is put spikes threw peice of plywood with spikes upright at door and where windows are they will step on it and run for pain