Nipissing Trip

Pochucker

Planning trip to Lake Nipissing in July. Looking for info/opinions on West Nipissing Resort. Was at Lakair two years ago, loved the place but unfortunately my back went on second day, so I must rule out resorts with pull start motors.

West Nipissing seems to have excellent boats. Any experiences from anyone greatly appreciated. Party consists of myself , wife and 13 yr old grandson. Totally catch and release , mainly bass , pike and hopefully musky will be

targeted.

Thanks in advance, everyones always been helpful on previous boards.

Well I have been member of two previous boards but havent been active past year or so.(back episode curtailed last years trip) Im 56yr old grandfather from lower NY/PA/NJ area. Have been taking my grandson yearly to Ontario for past five years .When my children were small made annual trips to 1000 Islands Area. Have fished upper French , northern Ontario . Am strictly catch and release and have been long before it was fashionable. Mainly target pike/sm bass and hopefully musky someday.

Unfortanately cant contribute much to the board just soak up the knowledge.

Hi,

I have been to West Nippisssing Resort 4 times over the last 7 years or so. I am in a bit of hurry today, but I highly recommend it. Ian the host is great, fishing great. Expect lots of pike, plenlty of bass, and yes muskie. We only caught 4 or some muskie, but all where huge. My friend caught a 54 inch 39lb muskie. BOATS are awsome, and the initially the reason we choose this place. Nobody has better boats. Big, wide, fast and you can fish in comfort all week!

Hello,

I am not sure where you are planning on going on Nipissing ie: South side (North Bay , Callander) or the Northern side Sturgeon falls area but if you are looking for bass, pike, musky I would say stick to to the Sturgeon falls side... I know Glenrock Cottages is on the lake and they have boats, mainly 16' cedar strips but they handle the Nip water well. The reason I say stick to this side is the pike fishing is by far the best in Cache Bay which would be about a 5 min boat ride from glenrock or the mouth of the Sturgeon river. You can catch pike all day long in this bay, all the pike tournaments are mainly held here. Look Cache bay up on the map you wont be disappointed, the whole bay ranges from 2' to maybe 10' and it is packed with weeds.... You will definatley know when you get into the bay as you will be cleaning your prop off regularily. For musky you can go to the top portion of Cache bay near the mouth of the Veuve river and even into the Veuve, I have landed some very nice ones in there. As for bass , you will see alot of rock markers and islands on the way to Cache bay and any of these rocky spots produce large Smallies. Also if you ever are interested in going out for Walleye by best buddies Dad is a guide and I could set you up for a half day or something, I dont know what he charges but he has a sweet boat and he has been fishing the lake for 30 years.

Hope this helps, any questions let me know.

Chris

hi chris

no info on west nippissing but I 've stayed at sunset cove resort nr callandar on the east side of lake

and they have nice Legend 16 ft with 50hpmerc so you don;t have to worry about pull start.

good bass and pike in area / also wall eye if you no where to go.

I have bit of back problem too,so I know how careful you have to be!!

good luck..

flyer

Thank You all for the great info. The OFC members never cease to amaze me with their willingness to share information! Thanks again and one more question if I may -- are the first two weeks of July a good time to use big bucktails for Musky on Nipissing or would I be better off with one of my myriad of other Musky lures?

HI,

If you choose West Nippissing Resort, you can go to cache bay in 10 minutes. We do it all the time. Yes Cache bay is very good for pike and muskie as Benny suggests, and bass on the way out of cache.

I go in June or Aug, both are good. I am sure July is fine. I cant really find a reason for any of the months other than the weeds are higher in Aug and you have to fish slower.

Bucktails for muskie in July would be fine and work, However, because of all the weeds on the lake, large spinnerbaits are much easier and effective. I would put on a big muskie spinner bait and leave it on the whole time. Body baits, cranks, etc. are difficult because of the weeds also. The mouth of the Veuve you can toss some crankbaits and suck becaues the river only has weeds along the edges. I would count on spinnerbaits.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...

Stayed at West Nippissing several times, although never in the summer. Pike action was very good. Fish around the bridge that is right next to the resort. Deeper water and cover seems to attract them. Will also catch tons of rock bass and catfish. If you drive to some of the bays that have rocky bottom you should get some smallies. No welleye there at that time of year. Ian is a great host and you should catch a lot of fish. Remember the best fishing is right next to the resort.

I'll bet you have a great time with your grand-son up there. Those will be the days he'll long remember and talk about. I didn't get much of an opportunity with fish with my g-father,but he also loved his Ontario fishing. Make the most of those days then, when you come back, share your report and pics with us, we'd love to see them. I'm chomping at the bit too, as I have two trips planned up that way this year. Lakair in June and two weeks on the lower French in September. Sure am anxious to get back up there.