OPP Officer shot in the head today

NAW

An OPP officer was shot in the head this morning around 10:00am just north of Winthrop (about an hour north of London)..

They have not released his name, but said he was air lifted to a hospital in London where he is in grave condition.

Supposedly he has been on the force for some 20 years.

This happened only a short distance from my hometown where I was raised, so it hit close to home.

Lets all hope the officer survives this disaster.. Though it really doesn't sound good. The gunman was hit in the gunfight, but is not in as suvere condition as the officer..

There will be a press conference today at 4:00.

Edited by F to the Is-H

It's a horrible loss for the hole community.. He was a soccer coach, and very involved with his local community from what I understand.

What a tragedy eh

Edited by F to the Is-H

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

things were pretty somber today around our place after hearing of this. kept checking the news today for updates.

very sad news for sure.

:( A real Tragedy, all the "goofs" don't live in the U.S., we certainly have our fair share.

Hit's very close to home for us, our son-in-law and his brother are both OPP's, one in Markdale and one in Walkerton. Can't imagine what this HERO"S family must be feeling, can only envision our daughter and grandkids and what they face daily when he "goes to work" God bless them and thank them for their service to us.!

when I first read of this online and saw his picture I thought he looked very familiar....then I read this later on:

"He was an avid hunter and fisherman, and he always had his boys with him doing outdoor things with them. They were involved in hockey and soccer and whenever you saw them, they were always together," she said.

I believe I may have chatted with him for a few mins on the maitland last season, he was a stand up guy, shared some info on the bite....

very sad loss, my condolences to his family and friends

has anybody read anything further as to what caused the old man to start shooting?

and a 70 year old man that will get a suspended sentence because of his age-- ( if that even )

In today's globe and mail they reported that anytime you kill a police officer that is 1st degree murder and automatic life. The globe and mail is flushing out details tonight on the 70 year old man. More here. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nation...article1495642/

Edited by scuro2

What is truly dispicable is that the newspapers are already putting their own "twist" on it by continuing to report the piece of crap (I don't care how old he is) as an "elderly suspect" in the newspapers as if to draw sympathy because of his age. Makes me want to vomit.

I'll most likely be attending the funeral, which will probably be on friday. RIP.

Another hero lost this week and my third police funeral in the last few months.

I will be honoured to march in the memory of PC Pham.

He was a local guy who grew up in Elmira. A friend of mine went to school with him and said he was one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Heroes in life, not death.

I was raised in Wingham, however moved away for school before Officer Pham came to town. I know lots of people who know him. Everyone says he was an incredible man and father. I have never heard any bad words about him.

The population of Wingham is going to triple the day of the funeral.. (If they have the funeral in Wingham)

I just heard on the news that the 70 year old man who murdered Officer Vu Pham has succumbed to his injuries.

I have to admit, I'm a little torn on what to think about his death. The rest of his life in prison, or him being killed? I would never wish death on anyone, but what this guy did what horrible..

Edited by F to the Is-H

RIP to both men who died. Tragic.

I don't know all of the facts involved, none of us do, so I have mixed emotions.

We don't know for certain which of these men, who by all accounts were good human beings, were in the wrong here.

I caution those who would blindly support either individual to wait until the facts of this case are brought to public light. Police are not incapable of wrong-doing, nor are artists/politicians.

RIP to both men who died. Tragic.

I don't know all of the facts involved, none of us do, so I have mixed emotions.

We don't know for certain which of these men, who by all accounts were good human beings, were in the wrong here.

I caution those who would blindly support either individual to wait until the facts of this case are brought to public light. Police are not incapable of wrong-doing, nor are artists/politicians.

Who knows all the detals of what happened? No one will. What really sucks is that a working person died while on the job. No matter what you do for a living, you'd almost certainly rather be somewhere else than at work...to go in and do your job and not be able to go home at the end of the day is a tradegy. I hope it doesn't turn out that something could have been done to avoid this tradegy, but if that's the case it won't make it less of one.

Edited by Fishnwire