2000 Ford ranger

rob v

I own a 2000 ford ranger that I use to tow my boat - tounge weight about 225 pounds +/-. The weight of my boat is well within the towing capacity of the truck (boat motor etc about 2000 pounds) and the tounge weight appears correct also (+/-). I notice however that the truck "squats" a bit more that I think it should when I have the boat hooked up - and I'm looking for ways of beefing things up a bit in the back. As far as I know the shocks are still the originals - would replacing them with a heavier duty version help ? Do they make shocks designed specifically for this kind of thing ?

I've talked to a couple truck accessories outfits and they're suggesting some $400-$500 lift kits (air bags) - I'm not sure that's the correct term.

Any suggestions from some of the people out there that I know have experience with this kinda thing ?

Thanks for your input.

Rob V

Edited by Rob V

you could try a spring shop and a add another leaf t it however that will make the truck ride a little rufflike the differance between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. should be your cheapest route if not air bags with a build in compresser to inflate and deflate the bags but that would run you a fw more dollars a spring shop should be able to help you with the best set up.

Hi Rob.

Shocks do not change ride height. They are designed to absorb the energy of hitting a bump and reducing spring bounce.

There are air shocks that you can add air pressure to adjust ride height but air bags last better.

There are also several bolt on rubber stops that work very well, are inexpensive and easy to install.

They only contact the spring when there is a load on your pickup so it wont affect your ride unloaded..

Good automotive aftermarket shops should have some makes to choose from for you.

Just remembered the name of the ones I put on...... Timbren ...They work very well.

Edited by Bernie

There are air shocks that you can add air pressure to adjust ride height but air bags last better.

I used to have a Riviera that squatted in the rear when I towed a heavy trailer so I had a set of air shocks installed and they worked well. They ran the air line up and attached it beside the rear license plate for easy access. Anytime I was gonna tow the trailer I'd just hook up the compressor and pump up the air pressure, then decrease it again when I was finished with the trailer.

They also used to sell shocks that had a coil spring on them that you could bolt right on yourself. Me and a friend put air shocks on my dad`s 65 pontiac catalina station wagon, he wrecked it a short time later. The shocks can change the handling characteristic of a car. You need to let air out when you are done hauling your boat.

Thanks - Lew I was thinking about the air shock idea - I may have to look into that.

Bernie I'll have to look into the Timbren product also.

And the extra leaf spring is another alternative.

Like I said - the truck is 10 years old (albiet in good shape) and I'm not certain I want to put a lot of $$'s into it.

Like I said - the truck is 10 years old (albiet in good shape) and I'm not certain I want to put a lot of $$'s into it.

Couple hundred $$$$ to beef up the suspension is alot less $$$$ than a new truck Rob :lol:

I'm just surprised a Ranger can't handle that weight without squatting. 225 lbs is no more than a large person sitting on your tailgate. What would happen if you ever put a proper payload (700 or 800 lbs) in the box? Are you sure there isn't another issue with the suspension.

Last year on our camping trip, I towed a fully loaded 16' boat (with most of our gear in the boat I'm sure the tonque weight was close to 250 lbs), plus a 12 foot tinny and more gear (including a 9.9 motor) in the box. Four of us in the cab and I doubt my Dakota squatted more than a couple of inches, barely noticable...

gallery_273_73_64328.jpg

Now I know the Dakota is a slightly bigger truck, but I would think the Ranger suspension shouldn't bottom out so easily. It is a truck afterall.

I had an older ranger (95) quite a few years back with the same problem .. I brought it to a leaf spring shop who found a couple of them were cracked .. replaced the broken ones and added another .. it was fairly cheap if I recall .. I would check the existing springs for cracks before doing anything

Actually; if gone properly, adding an extra leaf to a leaf spring suspension, should only increase the ride height by the thickness of the leaf and that depends on whether the spring is mounted above or below the axle.

It will increase the load carrying capacity probably by 15-20% and yes you’ll loose a bit of ride; but it’s a Ranger not an Escalade or Navigator.

Plus beefing up the leaf springs is more or less a permanent repair or solution to this issue; no blown air lines, leaking air bags. There won't be any worries of looking for a source of compressed air to get the bumper off the ground, when a line or bag does blow; half way to your fishing hole and the truck loaded to its nuts (and bolts).

Dan.

toyota tacoma same issue, was a technical bulletin in canada. extra leaf solves the problem (toyota also added shocks and alignment). shocks will not alleviate the problem, even though they might need replacing at the ten year mark. 200 bones to add a leaf to each side, i can give you the name of a spring shop if you are in the hamilton area.

RobV

Sorry for not noticing this before but with you being here in London; go and see Terry at Harry’s Spring Service on Horton St. here in town. They’re in the goofy spot where Horton St., Hamilton Rd. and William St; all kind of crisscross.

I have used Harry’s for many years for most of my customer’s leaf spring needs.

Terry is a good guy and will not throw you a line of crap to get your business; tell him what you want and he’ll tailor the suspension to your needs.

Tell him Dan from D&S Auto sent you; not that that will get you a better deal but he’ll make sure that your satisfied with the work; that’s if you come to an agreement on the costs.

If anyone here wants to call SPAM (it does sound like it doesn’t it LOL) go on a head; because you’ll be wrong; like I said I use and pay for their services for my customer’s vehicles. I don’t think in the 30 years I’ve known them that they’ve ever given me a reason to doubt them. They’re in the book, look them up and give them a call?

Dan

I own a 2000 ford ranger that I use to tow my boat - tounge weight about 225 pounds +/-. The weight of my boat is well within the towing capacity of the truck (boat motor etc about 2000 pounds) and the tounge weight appears correct also (+/-). I notice however that the truck "squats" a bit more that I think it should when I have the boat hooked up - and I'm looking for ways of beefing things up a bit in the back. As far as I know the shocks are still the originals - would replacing them with a heavier duty version help ? Do they make shocks designed specifically for this kind of thing ?

I've talked to a couple truck accessories outfits and they're suggesting some $400-$500 lift kits (air bags) - I'm not sure that's the correct term.

Any suggestions from some of the people out there that I know have experience with this kinda thing ?

Thanks for your input.

Rob V

Air ride is an excelent choice.Ive installed them on bigger ford p/u s.And the reason or installation was to beef up and smoothen the ride while towing.I have a lincoln with air ride and I tell the truth.It makes for a comfortable ride while towing,mind you the rear end sways a bit,but a nice ride.

adding leaf springs almost always creates a rougher ride. more importantly it will often make wheel hop worse which can be dangerous if you hit a decent bump on a bend at highway speeds. leaf springs are a permanent option and you have to consider how often you'll be towing or have weight ion the back to see if its worth the bumpy ride all the time.

air bags are better, but pumping air into them when you want to tow or move something would be a pain in the butt.

google "super springs" for your answer ;)

last summer i was considering beefing up the suspension in my dakota because i was sick of it squatting down. i did a ton of research and it seems like the best thing out there are the super spring style springs. there are different brands with slightly different designs, but they all do the same thing. i decided on another brand, but cant think of the name for the life of me. you should be able to find something on the net though.

the best thing about these types of springs is they DO NOT affect the ride at all with the truck empty because they are "self adjusting". i was set on buying these, but then i decided that i would just buy a real truck this year B)

i believe a set for my 2000 dakota was going to be around $200...

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update - I took the advise of several folks - included Dan D and had an extra spring put in. I,m very pleased so far. It raised the back end of my truck by about 3 inches and when I hooked the boat up yesterday the truck held it up much better (used to squat 2 or 3 inches - tounge weight is only aobut 250 lbs). I noticed little change in the ride or performance of the truck with or without the boat attached other than the fact the truck rode much more level and I have much more confidence in the ability of the truck to handle the load.

thanks very much to all of you for the input.

rob V

Hi Rob.

Shocks do not change ride height. They are designed to absorb the energy of hitting a bump and reducing spring bounce.

There are also several bolt on rubber stops that work very well, are inexpensive and easy to install.

They only contact the spring when there is a load on your pickup so it wont affect your ride unloaded..

Good automotive aftermarket shops should have some makes to choose from for you.

Just remembered the name of the ones I put on...... Timbren ...They work very well.

I had timbrens installed on my 93 Dakota that carried around a ton of tools. They kept it up and stable. Highly recommended