Coyote grabs Pomeranian in Pickering area.

fishinfool

Coyotes were descimating sheep in one area, there was a big meeting with a lot of ideas and suggestions and one tree hugging woman suggested castrating the males.

One elderly sheep farmer stood up and addressed the woman. He said "Lady, the coyotes aren't F---ing my sheep, they are eating them"!

Thanks alot Cliff .. that was a complete waste of a perfectly good mouthful of 15 year old Glenfiddich !!!!!

My dad asked a lady for permission to trap coyotes on her property and she said " No I love animals and would never give permission for someone to kill them on my land"

2 weeks later she called my dad and said that the coyotes ate her dog so she wanted him to come trap them. He just laughed and hung up the phone.

I am moving to the country (10 acres) and the increase in Coyote's is concering me. Is there anything you can do to to prevent attracking them? Knock on wood I haven't seen one yet and there haven't really been any issues or concerns and i did see some rabbits last weekend.

I haven't checked the regs and should but might as well ask...are they hunable? I figure that may deter them a bit....

There is no season or limit on coyotes. As long as you meet all other regulations you can shoot them. But, be warned, you may make it worse. Killing off too many creates bigger litters and killing an alpha will as well.

I am moving to the country (10 acres) and the increase in Coyote's is concering me. Is there anything you can do to to prevent attracking them? Knock on wood I haven't seen one yet and there haven't really been any issues or concerns and i did see some rabbits last weekend.

I haven't checked the regs and should but might as well ask...are they hunable? I figure that may deter them a bit....

urinate on a towel and drag it along the perimeter of your property....keep your garbage in tied bags and bins....i doubt youll ever have a problem unless there is a rabies outbreak

as for the foxes....live trap them and send them to Timmins....thats where shania twian is from and she is a fox....eventually they will end up in the good ole US of A

Edited by Twocoda

Damn, the foxes in my neigbourhood play within 25 meters from us, we leave the lights on when we're smoking cigarettes outside my friends car and they yelp and have battle matches. I live in Scarborough.

I've seen more yotes in the past year than in the last five!.. There do seem to be many more than before.

Too bad bout the lady's dog.. no matter what type it was.

Im sure all of you would be pissed if your dog got snatched by a coyote.

Killing them with bullets may be not the answer but as a hunter with friends who have a sheep farm I can tell you that yotes learn real fast were they get shot at and were they don't.My friends lambs are much safer now than his anti-hunting nieghbors. :clapping:

Killing them with bullets may be not the answer but as a hunter with friends who have a sheep farm I can tell you that yotes learn real fast were they get shot at and were they don't.My friends lambs are much safer now than his anti-hunting nieghbors. :clapping:

Exactly what I was gonna say.Lead will prolly work locally but not globally for the problem.Deer also learn which properties are "safe" and which ones have hunters.As long as your neighbors wont shoot them and you will you are safe from them.At least thats how it works in the country.

Joe

Oh lord don't kill the coyotes!!!! Don't kill them unless you're gonna eat them, coyotes and wolves are a noble and distinguished creature who only scavenge for food.... :rolleyes:

*rabbit distress call* *lift .338Federal* *unlock safety* *squeeze until a noticable bang is heard* *watch pink mist*

it couldnt have been coyotes, it must have been wolves, because they are a kazillion times smarter than coyotes,deer,bear,pigs, dogs and humans. folks these guys gotta eat, and they will eat. it doesnt matter to them if its your cat,dog or road kill, or trash. put a price on their heads and the population will drop. i promise especially in todays economy and jobless rates.

jason

A magazine called "outside" did an interesting piece on the Eastern Coyote, they have been mating with wolves and creating a nasty species.

I have a friend in California who was told by his realtor when moving that they suggest homeowners only have dogs over 30lbs, the smaller ones get pegged off quick by the coyotes.

Yes the foxes are getting braver!

This one would eat out of the neighbouring fire pit when we were camping last summer. I figured since we had kids around that I should chase it away. It jumped straight out of that fire pit and started coming at me :blink: ..... well I high-tailed it.... freaked me out lol... my wife says it was the red Hawaiian shirt I was wearing :P

Of course my wife snapped a pic.... :lol:

IMG_2095.jpg

Burt :)

Had a huge coyote run straight at me while turkey hunting. At first, I thought it was a wolf because of the size. At least I know my turkey calling sounds authentic.

It got about 15ft. away, then started moving toward my decoy, caught my scent and did a 180 in a hurry.

I didn't move. Shotgun was pointed away from it too, making it tough to swing it around and get a shot.

He couldn't see me, just smelled me.

I guess my odor is enough to make anything run off in a hurry. :lol:

A magazine called "outside" did an interesting piece on the Eastern Coyote, they have been mating with wolves and creating a nasty species.

I have a friend in California who was told by his realtor when moving that they suggest homeowners only have dogs over 30lbs, the smaller ones get pegged off quick by the coyotes.

All the coyotes in southern Ontario are wolf/coyote hybrids...well maybe a stretch to call them hybrids, but they all descend from hybrids. A study I read the other night showed all coyotes in the area had wolf DNA. As they migrated east moving in as wolves were being hunted out, there was quite a bit of cross breeding.

The Fish/Wildlife Tech that is helping me told me that 70 pound urban coyotes are not uncommon due to the wolf DNA assisting in its growth and ample food supply coupled with no natural enemies.