buying a truck

pike slayer

I've been looking around for an older pick up something in the early 2000s. Now i talk to guys selling trucks and i seem to get alot of the same thing. They are selling it "as is" and i ask them if they would be willing to take it to a mechanic and just find out what it needs to be certified. I'm not asking to spend the money and get it done just get a list of what it will need. and alot of guys are like nope not doing it selling it as is, take it or leave it. like really?? is it me? am i asking to much? like i dont want to buy a truck and get any surprises. i feel they are trying to just dump off old junk for a higher price. every vehicle i ever sold was certified or i gave them a piece of paper from my mechanic showing what it needs before they purchase it. ohh and im looking for a ford f150 extended cab 4x4 with the 4.6litre v8 with under 200km in the the $4-8000range.

people will sell as is for 2 reasons

1) There is major problems and they don't want people to know about them

or

2) The guy just doesn't want the hassle of taking it in and dealing with it. They just want the right buyer to come along that knows what to look for and either say "no thanks" or "yes please".

When I was selling my truck I used reason number 2 :)...I HATE people...and I HATE having to jump through hoops to sell something...come see it, if you like what you see take it...if not move along. :lol:

In the aircraft world we call that a "pre-purchase" inspection.. and they come at the prospective purchasers expense... if they want one done. Cheap insurance if you have an uneasy feelings about what you're possibly getting... just remember it has to go back out the way it came in.. ie no pulling someones airplane/truck apart and then telling them you don't want it. Every day occurance in aviation... but not very common in the vehicle sales world though...

Caveat emptor...buyer beware.. if you expect to have a somewhat detailed list of repairs, then I would think the buyer should pay and then keep the list unless the seller wants to pay for it. As is, where is, leaves the eyebrows in a raised state, unless you have the capability of wrenching yourself...

If the buyer really is motivated to sell the truck, then he should take it in and have it looked at. But keep in mind, most shops are going to charge you a service fee. which can be up to an hours worth of labour, and most shop rates can be $75-110 hr.

We charge 1hr for a general inspection, and 1.2hrs for a saftey check. But getting that vehicle on a hoist is probably the best thing you can do before you buy it. Just be there when they put it on the hoist , so you can look under it too. Just make sure what ever you buy that you test drive it and have it looked at by a mechanic before purchase.

Strange subject to me. I have purchased many pre-owned vehicles in my lifetime and I have never, ever gotten a dud. The last one I bought was from a good community member here. He offered to have it inspected for me and I felt that he had already done his part with the great price and the in depth description of the vehicle...pictures included. I had the inspection done here, there was nothing to find of course but, to justify their jobs they found that the front passenger ball joint was weak. I had them replace both of course and that was the end of the story.

All that to say that eventually, in your lifetime, you will have to trust someone and they will have to trust you. Do your homework...don't be in a rush. Also remember that verbal agreements with people you know are morally binding.

i'm looking all over for trucks and will probably end up getting one down south. not as easy just taking it to a mechanic. but yes definitely test drive it and i wont buy it unless its certified or they have in writing from an authorized mechanic saying what it needs. it will be my first time buying a truck out of town so it will be a learning experience. i did drive 10hours round trip for my snowmobile in the states, the border was quite interesting haha!

I hear ya I too have been looking and trying to find a certified and etested truck in that price range .I cant believe how many sellers refuse to let me take it to my mechanic,I just walk away . I always feel they have something to hide IMO if they are not willing to let me check it out at my own expense

Just because a vehichle is certified doesnt mean you wont run into problems .It doesnt cover motor or tranny.

i feel how your feeling fishingnut. if your gonna be like that then ya you have something to hide and i dont want it, ill keep looking, i dont need something right away. My truck runs and gets me where i need to go just want to upgrade so i can take as long as i want. and yes i do understand that doesnt cover motor and tranny but brakes, ball joints, needs new headlights, etc etc that can really add up. When i bought the truck i have now i drove it for 3days and blew the transmission in it and i was not "hot rodding" it. $2500 later really hurt on a vehicle i just bought and the guy at the transmission shop said the guy could have never known this tranny was gonna grenade, these trannys go without warning at anytime, thanks dodge!!

Wow am I hearing this right if Im selling a truck as is, you want me to take it in somewhere and pay to have it looked at my expence. Your kidding right I have never heard of that in my life I dont buy new vehicles and have never even considered asking someone that. if you want to know something about the vehicle. Take it in someplace and get them to do the same inspection they do for a safety and pay for it yourself why because it is being SOLD AS IS.......HELLO!!!!!

Peter

P.S yes you are correct a safety wont detect Motor and Tranny issues but like the seller said Im selling it as is

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Strange subject to me. I have purchased many pre-owned vehicles in my lifetime and I have never, ever gotten a dud. The last one I bought was from a good community member here. He offered to have it inspected for me and I felt that he had already done his part with the great price and the in depth description of the vehicle...pictures included. I had the inspection done here, there was nothing to find of course but, to justify their jobs they found that the front passenger ball joint was weak. I had them replace both of course and that was the end of the story.

All that to say that eventually, in your lifetime, you will have to trust someone and they will have to trust you. Do your homework...don't be in a rush. Also remember that verbal agreements with people you know are morally binding.

you are lucky since there are ALOT out there...

im back to working a few days a week. have some money saved and i plan on selling my sled soon which wont be very difficult to sell. i would love to just buy a new vehicle and take my truck in for that cash for clunkers or whatever it is. i seen 2 weeks ago that the ford dealer here was offering $3300 for your old vehicle. the problem is insurance. If i buy new and do any type of loan i have to put full coverage insurance on it and i would want to put full coverage on a new vehicle. Full coverage is $300-400 and yes i do shop around for the lowest rates. it really sucks being young for stuff like this and no i do not have a bunch of accidents or claims on my insurance.

perhaps but don`t wish away your youth pretty soon you`ll be fifty and taking blood pressure meds,cholesterol meds and having doctors sticking their finger and other assorted devices up your butt.LOL

I`ll trade you twenty years for my low insurance rates.

:lol::lol::lol:

I am finding it hard to believe that you got quoted that high for a pick up in the Soo, in the GTA maybe but that seems a bit high for a clean record and no claims. I'm no insurance adjuster but ouch! (under 25 or not)

:lol::lol::lol:

I am finding it hard to believe that you got quoted that high for a pick up in the Soo, in the GTA maybe but that seems a bit high for a clean record and no claims. I'm no insurance adjuster but ouch! (under 25 or not)

My 23 year old son pays around 200 month for a new Canyon.

IMHO your asking a LOT for $4000.....get yourself a new truck and you will have a warranty to go along with it.

If I could suggest another option.

Buy a used truck around $5000, take the $500+ every month you would of spent for a payment, save it. In a year or so you'll have a down payment for a house, rent out the house or a couple rooms.

There is lots of time in the future for the luxury of a new truck. Nows the time to build your financial foundation. I am not a financial guru, just wish I had this advice when I was your age.

Edited by Harrison

i called every insurance company in town when i bought my truck. i have a 1994 dakota 4x4 v6. the cheapest quote i got was $300 per month for just basic. i looked every where on the net and the cheapest i found was through kanetix and im with desjardin insurance paying $150 a month. i was looking at the new ford rangers and full coverage was $310 per month for full coverage. ya not paying double. and ya i have been putting a bit of money away for a house probably by this time next year(depending on what i do for work and how that goes) i'll buy a house and im sitting patiently waiting for the right place. i want a house out of town on the lake, not gonna be cheap but i do carpentry so a fixer upper would be perfect. i know that property and homes you will always atleast get your money back if not more with raising prices. things take time and money.

Wow am I hearing this right if Im selling a truck as is, you want me to take it in somewhere and pay to have it looked at my expence. Your kidding right I have never heard of that in my life I dont buy new vehicles and have never even considered asking someone that. if you want to know something about the vehicle. Take it in someplace and get them to do the same inspection they do for a safety and pay for it yourself why because it is being SOLD AS IS.......HELLO!!!!!

Peter

P.S yes you are correct a safety wont detect Motor and Tranny issues but like the seller said Im selling it as is

No one said they had to pay for it .I wanted to take it to MY mechanic at MY OWN expense to have it checked out $100. to have my mechanic who I trust to look it over is money well spent.But when someone refuses to let my mechanic look at it when I am paying for it you really gotta wonder why not :dunno:

IMHO your asking a LOT for $4000.....get yourself a new truck and you will have a warranty to go along with it.

Don't do it.At your age debt for something like a car is a big step backwards.Debt of any sort exept for a mortgage starts a cycle of debt that many people never get out of.Save your money and buy new if you have to but dont go into debt for a car.

Joe

I agree with All Knowing Angler, goiing in to debt on a car at a young age is dumb. If you break it down, you are making payments on the truck,gas, insurance, and maitnenece a month. You can buy used and still get a decent warranty. We offer warranties that can be pruchased on any vehicle on or lot. And the warranty company is great to deal with on claims.