Howdy

BFSC Kevin

Just dropped in.

I was bored surfing the net and stumbled on some ads on boats...now I have an itch to switch the motor on my boat to a newer one.

How would I go abouts in doing that? I'm looking to buy from a marina or privately.

If at a marina.. I'm hoping I can trade in on my current outboard...

If a private ad.. I'm somewhat lost on what my options are? Take off my current outboard and chuck it in the garage? Then try to sell it privately? or call up some marinas if they buy old outboards?

kevin

Most dealers will offer to take your old as a trade-in when you repower. Even some manufacturers have nice trade in deals to keep you brand loyal if you're going to buy new. It all depends on how much time you want to put into selling it yourself and how quickly you think it will sell. Sometimes it's not worth the trouble for a few extra bucks when you consider the time it will take. My friend recently repowered her sailboat and donated the yanmar to a small radio station where it'll be used as the backup diesel generator. It was old but immaculate. She just wanted to go faster...I think the whole concept of sailing eludes her.