cooked up some pike

pike slayer

So my buddy invited me over for dinner saying that hes had a bunch of pike thats been in his freezer for a while. So i go out to his place and hes out in the country. We go to cook the fish up and theres no type of fish crisp or bread crumbs and hes even out of flour!! so we are like crappp what are we gonna do??? we dont want to drive all the way back into town. So we find some blueberry muffin mix and put batter the fish in that hahahaha!!! and to be honest it was quite good! anybody else make up some weird stuff??

Years ago camping on the Bad River my buds and I cleaned a mess of walleye for dinner.

One of my friends had brought what he thought was buttermilk pancake mix to coat the fish with.

As it turned out he didn't look at the packaging closely enough and it was in fact blueberry pancake mix.

Having no alternatives we used it.

The other guys gobbled up the fish. In my buddy's words "Hey they taste just like blueberry pancakes!"

It was beyond vile, I didn't eat a bite.

Well I'm gonna go out on a limb here but why not just pan fry with Butter...maybe throw some onions in there...or Poach in salt water?

Finish with Some fresh lemon, and pepper?

I do that on purpose quite often....

Beats the hell outta blueberry Pike I would think :o

But if you "must" batter or dust your fish don't rule out corn starch and don't forget If you have bread...you can make bread crumbs.

Cheers,

Ive used all dressed chips before.. that was good!

On pickerel over a camp fire even better.I bring salt and vinegar and all dressed chips with me when camping,just for that purpose and a snack too.Come to think of it,next time im out camping Ill bring some Bud lime and pancake mix.That would be interesting on a fillet.

Years ago camping on the Bad River my buds and I cleaned a mess of walleye for dinner.

Lol, canoe tripping always produces some strange concoctions out of necessity. Some winners, most losers :D

Smallmouth bass coated with Red River cereal I could have done without (tasted like bass rolled in birdseed, the chippy's loved it though).

The Magnetewan Sunrise was a winner though (equal parts red wine, rum and Tang).

heyyyy we did have some bud light lime!! no shortage of beer :P

might have to give that a go next time!

If all you had was Bud Light Lime you had a severe beer shortage :P

I really enjoy eating Northerns. I caught a nice 10 lber 2 years ago on a lake in the Kipiwa. I was about to release it and my buddy was standing there with the bonker in his hand. He said if I let it gow he was gonna bonk me instead. He said it would taste better then the walleye we were eating. There was six of us on that trip and that feed of pike will always be remembered. Man was it goood, better then the walleye in fact. We cut it into 1 inch chunks and fishcrisp batter with beer, then deep fried. I had a few last summer and they were awesome. I only keep em if there over 5 and under 10 for eating.

I am not surprised that the blue bery pancake mix was good... many native Canadian cultures employ blue berry's in every meal... traditionally. I would expect some to like it and some to not.

I have always enjoyed a pike meal, especially if the fish was caught during cold water periods. I prefer the following:

-salt and garlic powder on the fillets, in the fridge for a couple of hours

-dip in flour, then egg wash then Japanese style bread crumbs (Panko)

-fry in hot oil... yum yum!

HH

One time on a canoe trip we ran out of the usual fish crisp stuff and so not having much else in surplus we decided to cook up some bass by marinating in rye and then battering with instant oatmeal. I believe it was cinnamon and spice! It was an interesting concoction to the say the least. On some fillets you could really taste the rye and others oatmeal.

Of course when in doubt you can always season something and pretty much anything with montreal steak spice :P