Hockey Spoiler!

redneck666

Ovechkin and the rest of Team Russia could buy the place.Kovalchuk just turned down $110 million!!

I don't know this for certain but I suspect that many of the players you'll be watching are being paid to play hockey somewhere. Europe has pro teams galore. The Russian hockey league is paying big bux.

It's not just hockey that's been bought out either. I've read or heard snowboarders describe themselves as professionals. The American kid with the long red hair flies by helicopter to his private fullsized halfpipe in the mountains somewhere. There are curling teams who are paid to do nothing but curl for their country. The day of the true amateur is dying fast if not already dead. It's understandable though as there's no way modern athletes can fund their own training and equipment costs and hope to be competitive. One need only look at the NCAA to know there's big money in "amateur" sports.

JF

Oh boy we beat Norway hahahahahaha. Russia will make the Canadians look like pylons out on the ice. I still get frustrated when our young tallented players sit and watch on T.V while the old guard plays on there 3rd olympic team. The old guys looked ok last night, but this is Norway there playing against.

Yeah, youd have to include russia in that circle as well.

I mean.........I watched the boys in red last night and C'mon........

Ovechkin

Malkyn

Kovalchuk

Semin

Datsyuk

(spellcheck lol)

Federov..........as a side note, they quoted him as saying "he doesnt miss the NHL......only the friends he made while playing there". I dunno what that means, but its a strange comment for sure.

I have to say that I get more of an olympic feel watching the Womens Hockey games as thats what i think the olympics should be more about. You can sense the excitement and can feel that this is a dream situation to them...........you know what im saying.

Oh and here is Shaun Whites personal mountain halfpipe built for him by Red Bull

He is to snowboarding what Tony Hawk was and is to skateboarding. Im on the fence with all this. I mean on one hand........its ludicrous but on the same token, hes a good guy and good for him i guess.

280209SB06.jpg

Oh boy we beat Norway hahahahahaha. Russia will make the Canadians look like pylons out on the ice. I still get frustrated when our young tallented players sit and watch on T.V while the old guard plays on there 3rd olympic team. The old guys looked ok last night, but this is Norway there playing against.

The Russians had better get with the program before they meet Canada then. By all accounts they didn't look brilliant in their first game.

JF

Old guys? What planet are you watching hockey on?

JF

Your absolutly right JohnF...there are many athletes at the olympics that are paid millions to do there sport, but endorsments also. I read a week ago an article about the highest paid olympians other than hockey and Lindsey Vonn makes near 8 million a year, Shawn White was up there as well.

The olympics are really not becoming the event that amatuers thrived to attend.

Old guys? What planet are you watching hockey on?

JF

over 35 is old in the hockey world these days. Pronger, Neidamier, Ignalia. Wheres Green, Phanuf and Stamkos the young Canadian Talent deserves a shot.

Canada won't advance far enough in this tournament to meet Russia, the same as Gretzky's 2006 team this bunch ain't going anywhere

Your absolutly right JohnF...there are many athletes at the olympics that are paid millions to do there sport, but endorsments also. I read a week ago an article about the highest paid olympians other than hockey and Lindsey Vonn makes near 8 million a year, Shawn White was up there as well.

The olympics are really not becoming the event that amatuers thrived to attend.

It's not an amature event anymore thank god, it's a showcase of the worlds best atheletes which in my opinion is far more entertaining

over 35 is old in the hockey world these days. Pronger, Neidamier, Ignalia. Wheres Green, Phanuf and Stamkos the young Canadian Talent deserves a shot.

Canada won't advance far enough in this tournament to meet Russia, the same as Gretzky's 2006 team this bunch ain't going anywhere

Ah, the wisdom of youth. :lol:

JF

I like to deal in facts (sometimes) and here are a few facts I discovered by looking up the rosters for Team Canada and Team Russia.

Our goaltenders have an average age of 32, the Russians 29. They win the youth award there but is 29 really that young in modern professional hockey?

Our D-men average 30 while the Russians average about 9 months more. Point to the Canucks there. Frankly I'd rather have big smart old D-men though.

Canuck forwards average 3 months over 27 while the Russians are 3 months short of 30. Looks like you really choked on that one. Youth and good wheels up front are great. I'd say our boys have just the right blend of youth and experience to do fine so hopefully they won't let their old age impede their success. ;)

BTW

The youngest players are Doughty (Cdn), a Russian goalie & Toews are a year older than Drew, then Crosby.

The oldest players are a Russian forward born in '69, Brodeur '72, Niedemeyer '73, then a Russian D and Pronger '74, sounds pretty even with perhaps a slight edge to Canada. Personally I think Pronger's a jackass but he is still a helluva D-man.

I just noticed that Getzlaf isn't on my list. Perhaps he's older than he looks and will raise the average up high enuf to work for you. The rosters I used are from the internet and there may have been changes but the Canuck names all sound familiar so my "facts" should be pretty good still.

JF

I like to deal in facts (sometimes) and here are a few facts I discovered by looking up the rosters for Team Canada and Team Russia.

Our goaltenders have an average age of 32, the Russians 29. They win the youth award there but is 29 really that young in modern professional hockey?

Our D-men average 30 while the Russians average about 9 months more. Point to the Canucks there. Frankly I'd rather have big smart old D-men though.

Canuck forwards average 3 months over 27 while the Russians are 3 months short of 30. Looks like you really choked on that one

ZING!!!!!

:D

Sorry...couldn't help my self LOL...

I think the Canadian Team Is solid, Its about as good as its gonna get IMO :dunno:

But the Russian team does scare me a bit....we'll see