Did you Here what the U. S supreme court decided on

johnston1010

Let the powers that be know this issue is of utmost importance. I wrote the MPP and MP of my former home in SSM, further their counter parts in Michigan. I also contacted OFAH to ensure this was on their radar and they were taking lobby action.

These letters need not be lengthy nor hold cited literature, they simply need to convey that this is an issue to critical importance to resource users on both sides of the border. The ramifications of this species in the Great Lakes could be huge.

No one but fishermen/outdoorsmen are going to bat on this one for us. Where are all those tree hugger groups on an actual environmental issue??? Make yourself heard. At this point it is a lobby battle.

In all seriousness though, this looks like an environmental catastrophe that's pretty much forecasted unanimously by scientists on both sides of the border. The only disagreement is whether the economic impact of locking the canal is justified relative to the environmental impact.

Obviously we think its justified....but its pretty hard for a president in his first term of office in one of the largest economic meltdowns in history to say "hey, lets lock down a pretty vital economic freeway".

Not saying its justified, but it is hard.

He could be measured in the history books as the guy who ruined the great lakes, but i bet he prefers that risk over the near-term alternative if he does lock the canal.

Has anybody fished areas that do have asian carp? Are there still catchable quantities of other fish? I keep reading how they will eliminate all other fish and be the only species left in the lake or close to it. Has this actually happened in other areas?

It seems to me that if they so much plankton that there was no food for other fish then there would also be no food for asian carp.

I don't want to imply that we should just let them in; but we always hear about these doomsday predictions for every invasive species that never seem to be such a catostrophe.

They may be a greater danger to boaters than they are to fish.

They may be a greater danger to boaters than they are to fish.

i agree ...these things will spawn and im sure our top predetors will evolve to eating them if they have to ....personally i hope this invasion is prevented ...but if its not ....fish are resilient and will adapt to their new menu....

i wonder if there will be restitution from the US if this does get outta hand...

i wonder if there will be restitution from the US if this does get outta hand...

I'm sure there will be!

... right after y'all pay us retroactive restitution for letting the Sea Lamprey in through the St. Lawrence Seaway! <_<

... and the Goby.

... and the Zebra Mussel.

Edited by GCD

I'm sure there will be!

... right after y'all pay us retroactive restitution for letting the Sea Lamprey in through the St. Lawrence Seaway! <_<

... and the Goby.

... and the Zebra Mussel.

it isnt like we were farming them and set them free...they are a product of the shipping industry ...mostly American owned i might add...

Has anyone heard when the Caucasian Carp is coming. Those are the ones that scare me.

These are the really smart ones that can't be caught......been around for hundreds of years and no one knew it.. :P...you heard fish are in schools, well who do you think was running all these schools.... :lol:

Well at least we know who despises the U.S. now. Muskymatt and others please grow up!! :angry:

Never said that and don't put words in my mouth.

Having the worlds longest border, I wouldn't want can't imagine and couldn't think of a better neighbour than the US. Their people are great people(GCD excluded :P )

That said it doesn't mean I have to agree with their government policies or everthing they do. ie. softwood lumber

So unless you have something constructive to add why don't you just keep your little personal jabs to yourself! :asshat:

it isnt like we were farming them and set them free...they are a product of the shipping industry ...mostly American owned i might add...

Yup!... we raised them up and trained them to hate (fed them poutine until they were sick of it) and attack Canada, then we showed them which way north was and set them free!

... and if y'all give us any crap at all. we're turning of the electric barrier and you will be doomed! :rolleyes:

Now, if you were a little better informed you would know that the carp escaped the farms when the Missippi river flooded over it's banks and into the farms... kinda like a natural disaster thing.

Who is this GDC character anyway.

That'll be MISTER GCD to you... and I may be your worst nightmare! B)

Remember Dawg...if that barrier goes down, the heavily weeded lakes like Nippissing would be decimated. Lakes like Erie don't have a great deal of vegetation compared to water volume. I think the biggest threat would be to the Kawarthas, Muskokas and Nippissing.

We would have to close down the Trent canal for sure....

As far as us letting in invasive species...the ships that dumped their ballast water, did so illegally. I have always wanted a ballast water exchange law for the mouth of the St Lawrence. That could prevent any further issues.

Remember Dawg...if that barrier goes down, the heavily weeded lakes like Nippissing would be decimated. Lakes like Erie don't have a great deal of vegetation compared to water volume. I think the biggest threat would be to the Kawarthas, Muskokas and Nippissing.

We would have to close down the Trent canal for sure....

As far as us letting in invasive species...the ships that dumped their ballast water, did so illegally. I have always wanted a ballast water exchange law for the mouth of the St Lawrence. That could prevent any further issues.

Actually if I'm not mistake Canada is one of few countries that don't have a law that dumping of ballast water is to be done 200 km from a shipping route water system.

Seems a logical thing to have imo :rolleyes:

here's some info

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/mediaroom/releases...-h069e-3272.htm

http://el.erdc.usace.army.mil/zebra/zmis/z..._guidelines.htm

Edited by muskymatt