Hunting and the media

hammercarp

This article and video recently appeared in a local newspapers webpage. It portrays a family terrorized by careless hunters .

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/ArticleDi....aspx?e=2435197

The truth came out a few days later

The hunters were 400 m. away not 240 ft.

The hunters were on the neighboring 100 acre property at the request of the land owner.

They were set up to decoy in coyotes.

The dog was stalking the decoy.

They both were experienced coyote hunters and had shot black coyotes before and even had a picture of one.

The dog is shepherd like.

The hunters immediately talked to the police about the incident.

They offered to pay for the vet bill.

Nuff said. :angry:

This can go either way, but I have to say that's careless. I am an avid coyote hunter I've been doing it for years to help out farmers. If I can't distinguish if it's a dog or a coyote I just don't shoot, plain and simple. Yes the dog shouldn't have been there, but that no excuse. Good thing they didn't hit any vitals on the dog.

I've seen black yotes and white yotes here lately....

But I can tell the difference between a dog and a yote. If you can't don't pull the trigger!!

If you are that far away from your target that you don't notice its a shepherd or that it has a collar on, use binoculars.

The yotes here come with 50 ft of you without much fear...or in my backyard to fight my dogs in one case.

I've seen black yotes and white yotes here lately....

But I can tell the difference between a dog and a yote. If you can't don't pull the trigger!!

If you are that far away from your target that you don't notice its a shepherd or that it has a collar on, use binoculars.

The yotes here come with 50 ft of you without much fear...or in my backyard to fight my dogs in one case.

Black ones, white ones, more than likely a result of domestic dog genes in the mix, coydogs. Lots of shades of grey out there. May account for the behavioral change we seeing as well, way bolder than they ever used to be. My mom lives just outside of Fonthill, while walking her dog, a friendly pet runs out to say hello , the owners make no bones about it lineage, it a coyote mix.

The shooter was using a shotgun, so I'm assuming the range would have been quite close, probably 50 yds or less. Other than a collar, in some cases your best feature for ID is going to be gait and behaviour .

What's that old expression ? " If it looks like an duck, acts like a duck and quacks like a duck "

I think a lot of you guys missed the point or you have such low expectations of the media that you just took it as a matter of course. The media got their facts wrong, they played the story up into something it wasn't and were completely irresponsible. This resulted in a man being harassed and threatened who did not commit the alleged offence. :angry:

Are you surprised the media worked it up?? :rolleyes:

I didn't miss the point, I just kept my mouth shut. I have many things I'd like to say, but I'm not going to here.

When the media gets thier hands on anything hunting related, it gets turned around 180.

Its too bad the guy is getting harrassed. Hopefully someone gets charged for harrassing him, but I have my doubts.

S.

That dog looks nothing like a coyote. There are black coyotes, but they certainly don't look like that.

I'm sure there was no malice intended but it was a bad shot. Not sure what the controversy is?

Also not really that great that they let the dog run back into the woods (they probably realized what it was afterwards)...

Also not really that great that they let the dog run back into the woods (they probably realized what it was afterwards)...

Most things that get shot will run before they drop, then find a spot to lay down and bleed out. Best practice is to leave it for a half hour or so, then go find it.

S.

Most things that get shot will run before they drop, then find a spot to lay down and bleed out. Best practice is to leave it for a half hour or so, then go find it.

S.

Guess what i'm saying is they likely had time to recognize it as a dog when it ran away.

Edited by cram

I lost my temper.

The issue/contraversy is not whether he could tell the difference between the dog and a coyote.

The issue is the way the media portrayed the event. The complete diregard for the facts in the favour of sensationalising and sucking up to popular sentiment. This has led to a man being harassed and threatened for something he did not do.

If you wish to voice your opinion on this here is a contact for a letter to the editor.

http://www.niagarafallsreview.ca/feedback1...erToEditor.aspx

Edited by hammercarp

I lost my temper.

The issue/contraversy is not whether he could tell the difference between the dog and a coyote.

The issue is the way the media portrayed the event. The complete diregard for the facts in the favour of sensationalising and sucking up to popular sentiment. This has led to a man being harassed and threatened for something he did not do.

If you wish to voice your opinion on this here is a contact for a letter to the editor.

Too often the media are less concerned about delivering the facts than getting readership to help sell their ad space. I can't help second guessing everything I read any more, even from the most respected newsfolks. If there's a recurring theme across the board then I start to lose the pessimism a bit. Local and political writers are the worst for biased or revisionist writing.

JF

I understand what your saying hammercarp, and I feel for the guy, but the problem is someones dog was shot by hunters. That makes a great headline, and is VERY easy to sensationalize. Throw it out to the general public, and they will take it for a ride for sure. I know the media turned it all around, and didn't use any actual facts, but that's what they do!!!!

IMO, they shouldn't have fired a shot. 6 shots out of shotguns, and only one pellet hit the dog?? That alone tells me these guys were just unloading thier guns, hoping to hit the yote, and that it was out of range. Whether it was a dog or a yote makes no difference to me. I'm assuming they were using buckshot or the likes, because if that dog was hit with a slug or sabot, it would be in much worse shape.

Then there is the point of a dog at large.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. :)

S.

have to agree with you mr. obanion,, as i was fortunate to grow up on the east coast and have also seen many varieties of coyote\coy-dog mix .both with varied coloration. the strict rule excepted by rural families then was a dog in the woods close to hunting season was a dog that shouldn't be there , hence, AKA a coy- dog,, shoot it. they were proving to be a big problem for wintering deer in deep snow .

attitudes have changed but the meat of it lies here, that dog looks nnothing like a coyote ,especially when it's in close proximity to a residence .

media grab or not, bad call

Edited by waterwolf

I lost my temper.

Sorry I didn't understand what was going on in the beginning. It was a bad shot, but that's not the argument. So, YES the media thrive on this type of occurrences and blow it all out of proportion and the innocent one gets the....... Harassing and threatening the non accused is wrong, but the media portrayed both parties as criminals. Now I understand and agree. Sorry again.

Yotes or dogs

well where we hunt there is a definite rule with the farmers anybody that owns a dog in the area has bells on there mutts and yes they run around from farm to farm.

The rule is this if it is not ringing shoot it

very big coy dog issue in the area.

just my 2 cents

The media will always print what sells. Newspapers have become more sensational in order to survive.

Unfortunately we have a serious coyote problem here and the next story, I predict, will be about a child getting bitten by a yote. The females are now in heat, and the males are especially crazy right now. Two nights ago they were walking down the street in my neighbourhood.

No one should harrass anyone. The hunter was in the wrong, but he did make amends and the dog appears to be fine. I would think the guy learned his lesson. I don't know his experience level, but I think it just went up several notches.

I do feel for the dog owner. It is a rural area and dogs at large are common. I know how I would feel if someone shot my dog.