Lookin' for a new Provincial Park

Mykester

A little tough to get a boat & motor into most non-operating parks. Hell just finding access to Queen Elizabeth PP for a canoe is a PITA now that there's no overnight parking on Head Lk.

I always wondered why people concentrate on PP's and not use the extensive tracts of Crown Land around (or atleast for something other than to tear up with ATV's). Grundy is probably the best example, go five minutes down the road and you've got a Gov't launch & dock and 20 miles of the Pickeral River to camp & fish, most is Crown Land and tons better smallie & pickeral fishing.

For a S.Ont PP Massauga is probably the best for mostly sheltered camping with good fishing. But it's busy in summer and I don't like sticking to a reserved campsite itinerary.

That's why god created the canoe ;) but I see your point for a boat and motor.

Been to Restoule its a great spot, enjoy!

Quick question, the river in the park, is it fishable or is it just like the pictures show and a very shallow creek?

If your reffering to Restoule,the river is fishable but not navigatable. There is a 150 yard section that is rapids but both above and below the rapids holds fish. Actually if you camp in the group camping area you have access to the river(you are camping right on the bank among some huge pines,great spot ) and to Restoule Lake,the rapids flow to Stormy Lake.Lots of bass and pike in the river and there are some deeper holes that hold walleye in the river.If you don't need electricity to camp and don't mind using vault toilets I would suggest the group camping area.The main washrooms(showers,laundry) are only a short 2 minute drive away.

If you need any advice on some sites or any other info just ask.

Restoule is one park I would definately recommend. We took kids there 2 summers back and they had absolutely the best time of all the parks we had been to (15 total) For fish we caught panfish,perch,sm bass,LM bass,pike , a laker and lots of PICKERAL !!!. Tip of the week...Make sure you have Leeches or the pickeral won't be biting. ;)

Sites we nice in size,clean, close facilities,beach with volleyball nets,trails.

Boat launch needed a little work though but was usuable. There is also access to another small lake that holds Muskie. You are a 45 minute ride to North Bay if you need supplies but there is a general store about 15minutes from the park for emergency supplies and they didn't gouge you too much price wise for necessities.

If I had a second then it would be Sandbanks...but good luck getting in there now.

Hey Piker...next time you visit take some leeches and fish the underwater humps that go from 50ft to about 12ft you should have success. worms and minnows caught everything but Pickeral.

I fished Restoule over a dozen days last year and caught one pike, one musky, and some smallmouth bass. It has been a very tough lake for me to fish...even using minnows and worms at times. Friends have a cottage there which is what takes me back time after time. It's a beautiful lake and a nice campground, but I don't think I'd go there for the fishing.

Restoule is awesome (great park, fantastic people, great lake and scenery) but don't set your heart on great fishing. It can be *on* sometimes, but for the most part its tough fishing. Its a great trip (esp for family) but frustrates a lot of fishermen.

You can almost always get smallmouth bass.

Pickerel are hit and miss (depends on timing)

Lakers and whiteys are deep

Musky are there but super tough (more like georgian bay vs. kawarthas fishery)

Edited by cram