I need your opinion (NF)

keram

Currently I have Rogers - whole package ( 1 HDTV, 2 reg TV, high speed internet and three cell phones). After seeing last bill :o :o I've noticed that my charges went up on average 5% every 2 months. I'm seriously considering switch, but I know nothing about BELL (only have 1 phone line and do not use them for long distance)Is there any other option then Bell & Rogers. I live in Oshawa

Is it warth to do it ( reliability ?, TV programming ?, price ?, cell phones ? ). Please share your experience.

Thanks in advance

I HATE ROGERS.... But unfortunately I hate ma bell aswell. Both companies are crooks. And all I can suggest is you call rogers customer retention and tell them you gona go to bell and they will bend over backwards to keep you. I have hdtv free for a year right now and my box is only a penny for a yr. But I still hate them both. I am thinking of Voip and just getting a really good internet connection and hooking it up to my TV so I have web tv. Or just cancelling it all and just fish.

I had to make 2 installs for my satellite to be hooked up and talked with over 10 reps to do so, 3 of them being supervisors... prior to that i had to make 2 install appointments for my bell internet... seems astho they have a serious habit of "losing" orders.

After the 1st install was missed it took 6 Bell reps to "find" the order, the 5 other basically said i was crazy and it didn't exist, the 6th one found it apologized up and down, waived the install fee and all equipment rental charges- so we booked another appointment. Called the day before the appointment was scheduled, they couldn't find it again... kept transferring me to every department before someone finally found it and confirmed they would be here.... and even prior to our first booked appointment we spoke with a half dozen people from bell over the phone, trying to get it set up... they told us to go to the nearest bell store (1/2hr away) and pick up the receiver, so we did only to find out that we can't get it there, we have to have someone come out with it cause we live in a multi-dwelling unit- which the reps on the phone knew already.... and now i'm finding out that we can't get WFN or WildTv because our dish on the roof isn't setup for it <--- again after we were told we could order it!!

This has all taken place in the last 3 weeks, we shall see if any charges were waived on the bill, if they aren't then bell can get lost and we'll switch everything over to cogeco!!

Little long winded, but i haven't had the chance to rant about it... and i didn't even get to the missed internet installation and then the problem we were having accessing sites with JAVA and being told to take out computer in to a "professional" and have JAVA configured with sympatico's software...

ticked, i am!!

Sorry to hear of your issues Phat basturd....

Myself I love Bell and Cogeco can go climb up a rope! I have wayyyy better internet then Cogeco ever had, my HD and my regular receiver work top notch and I have my long distance from them... So I get a savings bundle...

I believe in order to get WFN you may have to be pointed to Nimiq2 your probably pointed to Nimiq1 if you have non-HD receivers

I did the install myself (it is SIMPLE!) I just bought the receivers from FutureShop (with the dish) and carried it home hooked it up and called to activate.

Gerritt.

Guest lundboy

Yeah pretty well all service providers are crooks. With bell you need to sign a 2 year contract minimum to even get satellite service. All cell phone accounts require 2 or 3 year to get discount and hardware (phones). Home phones and highspeed internet bundles require contracts to get discounts. It's all a racket.

Long distance I just use the 1010 type numbers. As for VOIP unless you use LD alot, you still have a monthly minimum bill to contend with whether you use it or not like $30/month. With the 1010 services you get LD anywhere in Canada for as low as .04/min (And US too I think).

For satellite you could always go FTA (Free to Air). Not a lot of "free" channels certainly no Canadian content. But there is FOX, ABC News, CW, RTN etc. and you don't pay for subscription no contracts. (I can't say outright what else an FTA receiver will receive) ;-)

For Cell, wait for later this year. The "portable phone number" ability is supposed to be out by the fall, which will allow you to keep your existing numbers on rogers and move it to another carrier. I'm sure once this happens everyone will be moving because everyone hates the company they are with now. Maybe the carriers might get more competitive with pricing at this time to lure others to them. You could also look at removing features on the cell account. If you have kids and they download a lot it will cost a bundle. Also call display text messaging and voicemail sure adds up and is a huge cash cow for the carriers. The web feature can be locked out by application lockout features on the phone itself, or by telling rogers to remove the function from the account.

Internet, you are pretty well stuck for what is in your area. Rogers offers nothing cheap, on Bell Sympatico I managed to find out that if you agree to a 1 year contract they will reduce the monthly fee from 44.95/month to 34.95/month. They don't advertise this, you have to ask for it. (Modem rental fee waiver).

By bundling most people think they get a good deal, but really they get stuck in contracts and end up buying services they don't need or use.

Maybe it's time to un-bundle, and manage each service individually. Be carefull though, if you agreed to a 2 year contract to get the bundle discount, you may have to pay penalties to break the bundle.

So take a hard look at what you have and what you actually need. The FTA thing will save you a big chunk since TV is the 2nd biggest expense.

Good Luck

Edited by lundboy

Thanks for replies everybody. I will need to make some calls tomorrow :devil:

Oh BTW, DanC

Stick with Rogers. We all have to help to pay those ever increasing Blue Jay salaries.

I did few phonecalls

I've almost got the job which paid 200.00$ for a spit(Mc Donald ( instead of 20.000 + )), but some " smart" manager has told me that I'm over qualified ( I can read :wacko: ) so 7.00$/hr is more then I need :thumbsup_anim: . I'm sure I can support those who spit against the wind :o for only 19.000 $+/spit

If only I had my arm bigger then my head :wacko::thumbsup_anim::) Not e chance :dunno: , birth defect :w00t:

I think I will call Bell tomorrow