Boq Walleye Scrappy Or Not?

glen

When you get into the 12 pound plus fish they fight very well. Get yourself into a trophy 14 or higher and they can peel some line and do real damage to hooks and stuff.

The shallower you hook them, the more fight, in my experience. Perhaps the shock of ascent from the depths limits their fight when caught in 30' or deeper...

Yeah the docks at Tip of the Bay always produce nice fish at night. Bring lots of different sizes and colors of crankbaits and use a spinning reel. Baitcasters freeze up fast in this weather.

Last fall we were going with big and slow baits and had limited success on the docks. The locals were using small perch Salmos and killing them..so you never know.

I am amazed at the size of walley coming out of BOQ. I've only been able to pull out some smaller wallet on smaller bodies of water. I sure do love looking at other anglers big walley pics. Rick can you be a sweety and post some pictures of these big 12 lb.walley you have been so lucky to experience. :worthy: thanks Ricky, your a pet :blush:

made a day trip to Quinte yesterday & my buddy got a 10lb'r & the thing took of a like salmon - peeled off almost 100 additional yds, we had to clear the other 3 rods & chase it

but yes all the other eyes we've got this yr from Quinte have come in like a big waterlogged XL sweatshirt, with a couple headshakes thrown in

I generally get to icefish more than anything else for walleye on the Bay, and find them to be logs. They can be heavy and little else under these conditions in my own experience. I look forward to spending at least a week fishing for them at Christmas, and will hopefully catch a hog....despite targetting smaller fish in the 2-4 pd category....that I find fight far superior when one compares. Just some tidbits.

outdoorguy61

The last time I was out I got a 8lb walleye, came in like a log I did get a pike about the samr size and it put up quite a fuss from stars to finish come to think of it I got an 11.5 walleye from Erie this summer that was a dissapointing oppenent as well both wallies come from deep water, probably a factor

My experience with BOQ walleye have been similar to Grog's. Heavy weight on the line, the odd pull back. On a couple of occasions, I just thought I had bottom! Never seen the hook bend action, but I have heard of it for sure.

IMO, if you are in it for even a modest fight, walleye isn't the game fish of choice.

I was in the Boq Saturday.As fof big Walleye I find they don't fight much.This weekend I pulled in 9.9,11.4,11.8 you don't feel much until you get the boards off.Most of the time they feel like a heavy log .When they arrive at the boat they give a few last tugs but nothing like a Pike of equal weight .I would have to catch over 12 to find out what some of you are talking about.My favorite fish pound for pound are smallies.So for now I would have to say not too scrappy.Mike the Pike

~~~First post on this site, I was down on the Bay Saturday and Sunday. My partner landed 1 at about 7+ and then we found out we had a dead battery, were able to signal for help and 2 other boaters came a over to lend a hand actually a battery, to re-star out motor. One of the guys that came was from this board and I like to say again a BIG THANK YOU for comen to our aid, of cource after helping out he released the 3 monters he had. Sorry I've have forgotten your handle, but again Thanks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Bill

Edited by oldphart

The best fight I had on Friday was from a 5 lb ball of weeds! The 31.5 x 12lb + I reeled in later in the day came in easier..although it did do some fighting..running left and right before hitting the net.

Saturdays 28" was another story. 10'6 Med Heavy Talora....5601 reel...30lb PPro with mono leader and my arms were falling off. It wouldn't budge..thought it was a huge sheep head...and then there was this guy Ronnie callin on the radio during the fight just to add to the fun..that lasted at least 15 or 20 minutes.

The quality of walleye the area produces are definitely world class and to consistently catch and land 7-14lb walleye is a great fishery. However, their fight is almost non-existant as it's like reeling in a big old wet sweater like Fishdawg stated earlier. You don't go there to talk about the fights you had with big 'eyes but rather to talk about the numbers and consistently large size.

You want good hard fightin' fish come salmon or rainbow fishin' on Lake O or Erie ;)

Cheers,

Gman

Edited by Gman

I've been fishing Quinte for a while now.

Found that the later in the year and colder

the water gets, They become more scrappy.

When I got my trophy, at first thought weeds again.

All of a sudden their was some big head shakes and

she was pulling drag like i've never seen a pickaral do.

My wife and I have landed four 11+ pound Walleye west of BOQ this fall and in general, this is what we have noticed.

They hit very soft....once the hook it set, they've fought for maybe 20-30 seconds pulling drag etc. After that, they are pretty much logs coming in.

I would think that once the water warms up in Spring/Summer, they'd fight a bit more and not be as lethargic.

Just my two cents!

Difficult to say with impunity... I've had some smallish fish that I thought were double digits and the opposite as well. Really can't generalize, but i can say that I've had some biggins that I couldn't move off the bottom and when they finally arrived at the boat, they took off like their rear end was on fire.

HH