Insurance claim stratagies

HTHM

My daughter totaled off my (her) car two weeks ago not her fault and I am not satisfied with the value of the offer the insurance is proffering. Are there any stratagies I can employ to get the offer more in the ballpark?

The car was a 2001 Pontiac Sunfire, in very good condition. The insurance company will remain unnamed, as they are playing the same game as any other company would.

Edited by hometownhandyman

I got some extra when my ex totalled her car. I simply used the internet and found identical cars at dealerships that were going for more than they were offering. I gave them links to two cars that had all the same options and mileage and they then upped the amount by $900.

Of course they always get it back somehow...

I got some extra when my ex totalled her car. I simply used the internet and found identical cars at dealerships that were going for more than they were offering. I gave them links to two cars that had all the same options and mileage and they then upped the amount by $900.

Of course they always get it back somehow...

That is exactly what I have done in this case as well. They are still telling me to pound salt....

In addition to Autotrader check cars with identical specs at your local dealers and try to get the written quote, this will help you in establishing the value of the car in your area and you can use same paper as baseline to negotiate with insurance company. This is what I did couple of years ago.

Make sure you ask for the tax on top of the value they offered...

Every little bit helps.

My parents '06 Jetta TDI was totaled.. It had 56K on it I think, they got 22K + tax as the buyout.

Edited by BillM

You may want to try www.nadaguides.com... It's in US funds but helped us when our 2002 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE got totalled.. Offer went from $6100.00 to $8300.00 with alot of whining.... Keep the pressure on them... keep giving them examples of similar cars....

Here's a pic

001-13.jpg

Best of luck to you...

Tiz

Edited by tizfun

I'm feeling for you, big time. Dealing with insurance companies is probably one of the things that most people would love to avoid. They have no trouble taking huge monthly payments, but when it's time to use all that great coverage they tell you that you have to cover a claim, the real truth comes out. What they try to get away with is criminal! :angry: Especially when the accident isn't your fault.

It almost liked dealing with a loan shark or someone like that.

Tell them you want it fixed. Then there is no question about the value, they pay the bill.

Not so..they will not pay to repair something that will cost more than it's worth. General jargon is "when the cost of the salvage+ parts + labour amounts to 75% to 100% (variable depending on policy/company) of the face value" (or book value) of the policy they will ride off the car and pay you the agreed value of the insured vehicle. If no agreed value.. blue book is generally used. In todays market you ain't gonna get much for a sunfire unfortunately Albert.

Not so..they will not pay to repair something that will cost more than it's worth. General jargon is "when the cost of the salvage+ parts + labour amounts to 75% to 100% (variable depending on policy/company) of the face value" (or book value) of the policy they will ride off the car and pay you the agreed value of the insured vehicle. If no agreed value.. blue book is generally used. In todays market you ain't gonna get much for a sunfire unfortunately Albert.

I am aware of that, but it is SO MUCH FUN aurguing with the adjuster. Being a stubborn dutchman and all.....woooden shoes, wooden head, wooden listen. :lol:

It is a matter of pride to get the offer above 4k

I am aware of that, but it is SO MUCH FUN aurguing with the adjuster. Being a stubborn dutchman and all.....woooden shoes, wooden head, wooden listen. :lol:

I assume it was a GT model in near mint condition if your looking for over 4k??

If you didn't own it would you pay $4k for it?

Unless it is a GT model in MINT condition it is probably worth no more than $2800. If you manage to get $4k for it and it is not a GT model in MINT condition then please tell us your secret.