One species for the rest of your days.

Kinger

Say for some hypothetical reason you could only fish for one species for the rest of your life. I'm interested to hear your responses. What species would you choose?

Why? What method do you prefer to catch them?

I will start with my choice. I may be a little bias due to my location but Atlantic Salmon gets my vote. Kings of all chrome. I would fish them only and be quite happy.

Preferred method: 11 + foot rod/float reel.

Salmo Salar ftw!

mlu_ii_04.jpg

Atlantic%20Salmon%20Light.jpg

Whats yours?

Probably walleye.

I world become bored if I were stuck to just one fishing scenario for the rest of my days, and that's why walleye would be my choice. For starters, I can fish for them year-round -- you don't have to drive too far to find good walleye fishing 12 months a year. And there's no end to how you can fish for them. I can jig the shallows in spring as post-spawn fish settle into emergent weeds, or cast twitchbaits along shoreline points, or work spinners over offshore saddles and reefs. Or bottom-bounce fast currents in rivers, if I want to break out my waders. I can huck suspending minnowbaits off a pier, or even fish sunken timber with weedless jigs or a little Senko, just for something different.

In summer I can troll big open water with 'riggers or boards, or Lindy Rig mid-lake flats with leeches or crawlers, or throw out a drift sock and toss slip floats or drop-shot rigs. In early summer I can even catch them on topwaters. Rip-jigging the heavy veggies is always fun, or I can wet wade a big river and sneak a few out of the shallows in evenings by casting floating Rapalas. I can drive farther north and fish remote back lakes where walleyes have never seen Shad Raps or Rattle Traps. Or pull spinner rigs over sand flats, in the Kawarthas or on the Great Lakes. Heck, I can even catch them on flies if I really get bored.

Come fall I can target the big girls as they hit up neck-downs and deep weedlines with crankbaits and huge minnowbaits. Or I can tip prop-jigs with shiners and finesse tough fish off of main basin points. Or hit the dams and lake narrows for some night action with swim baits. Or break out those waders again and hit the marsh at night for giants in only inches of water.

I look at ice fishing the same way I look at clogged toilets, letters from Revenue Canada and objects on the bottom of my shoe that I can't identify, but if push came to shove I could even bring myself to once again fish for walleyes through the hard stuff -- again using a huge variety of baits and techniques.

I can catch walleye on pretty much every rod and reel I own -- spinning rods, baitcasters, centrepin rigs, fly outfits, ultra-lights, rigger sticks, even straight graphite crappie poles (don't knock it till you try it!!). None of my tackle would gather dust.

I admit that most walleye fight like a plastic bag, and are about as smart as a bag of rocks, but if nothing else, they're adaptable. So if I was stuck to only fishing for one species for the rest of my days, I'd probably fish for walleye. There's no shortage of different ways to catch them, and nothing else tastes as good when it's fried up in Fish Crisp.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i could spend every day of the rest of my life in a kevlar canoe or on snowshoes chasing big brookies. it's absolute angling and aesthetic perfection. 23 days!!!