Cribbage - Another Passion of Mine!!!

Leecher

This past few days, been busy making a cribbage board, another passion of mine and one of it's kind. Thought I'd use one of the plaque I made last fall. Had an idea and proceeded to it. Got the first coat of white on

DSC02825.jpg

and a second

DSC02826.jpg

Since I made this plaque last year after deer hunting, thought I'd stay with the same theme. Only thing I could think of was "SCOPE" and "TARGET". After numerous attempt at creating one, finally came up with this one

DSC02827.jpg

It seemed to be quite fitting for what I was feeling and wanted to do. After a dry fitting for the look and feel, got to the painting stage

DSC02828.jpg

Once this done, had to begin touch ups so that it looks clean. Here a shot after

DSC02829.jpg

Then added the year to it at the bottom

DSC02830.jpg

Now that was the easy part a couple of days later :lol: Next step would be figuring out the layout of the game. Had numerous attempts but after a whole day of trying, this is what I came up with..... this is the template I had finally done for it

DSC02832.jpg

Secured it to the piece and started punching the holes with a nail and hammer..... this is another step that is quite time consuming :lol: Once this done, proceeded to drill the holes with the press-drill for a couple of hours :lol: Here's the results

DSC02833.jpg

Now for the pegs used aluminum rivets, dipped them into tremclad in different colors in pairs. Don't have a pic of them but you can see them it the next pic

DSC02834.jpg

Now all that remains is the final painting and 3 coats of varnish, then it's good to go :D

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Edited by Leechman

Very nice Leechman you do some nice work

Rob

Thanks Rob!!!

Nice looking board. I just never get past the 60 peg. I have this thing about the number "19" :wallbash:

Thanks Bruce!!! I hear ya on the 19's..... double skunk happens to me from time to time also <_<

That's a great hobby! It can probably keep you busy until the ice is ready.

Thanks crankbait!!! It sure can B)

congrats leech i play every night awesome board

Thanks corvette!!!

a friend of mine will take large logs from the bush, split them in half and make a nice "natural" looking crib board. haven't seen the finish product, but it sounded very nice. Think he put some smaller logs on it for legs, lacquered it up, etc.

nice work!

Thanks jayess!!! That's something I'd like to do too.... get a 1" thick slice of oak or maple and build one from that keeping the bark on the side B)

Having made a couple of much simpler game boards for a "PIG" game, I can appreciate the tremendous amount of patience you must have had to lay out and drill all the holes so precisely!

Nice job, Jacques!

29's to you!

Edited by Jocko

quinze deux, quinze quatre , quinze six et deux huit et deux dix. quatre dans le kitty. Ca donne 10-4.

Alors 10-4 est belle ta planche de crib.

Merci Dan!!!

Ah good old cribbage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 15 2 15 4 15 6 and a pair is 8! Nice stuff.

Thanks dizzidevil!!!

Having made a couple of much simpler game boards for a "PIG" game, I can appreciate the tremendous amount of patience you must have had to lay out and drill all the holes so precisely!

Nice job, Jacques!

29's to you!

Thanks Jocko!!! Patience is a virtue and precision is a must.... that is why I created a template for the layout of the holes :D

Great Job.

Question - any special varnish you use ofer the paint. I have not had good luck varnishing a painted surface, orange peeled once and the other time a coffee cup removed the paint and varnish 3 weeks later. No idea why, paint was dried for 3 days prior to varnishing, too short?

Great Job.

Question - any special varnish you use ofer the paint. I have not had good luck varnishing a painted surface, orange peeled once and the other time a coffee cup removed the paint and varnish 3 weeks later. No idea why, paint was dried for 3 days prior to varnishing, too short?

Thanks Bubbles!!! Nothing special, just Varathane Diamond Wood Finish water based. Varathane oil based is what I used in the past but it took too long to dry in between coats and over time would turn yellow. The water based will not. It goes on white and dries to a perfect clear coat. I also use water based paint and lay a couple of coats.

Maybe in your case, you needed a primer coat to have your paint adhere to it :dunno::unsure:

Hope this helps you out :canadian:

Leechman