20 yards short and loss of daylight

misfish

With only having an hour and half at most after work to sit in the field stand,I make the most of the time I can get.

Today I had this feeling like I should go out,so,right after work I head. Im not to confident about having the smell from work on me,but something just said go.I boot it to the field stand anyhow.

In the stand for an hour when I see a deer.Yes I seen a deer,oh my. :rolleyes::lol:

It,s like 130 yards away.Just in the corn thats been knocked down by the raconons.

Top right of the pic.

20090910_09.jpg

Now with using the pic,you can follow the story.

She continues to feed.I decide to give a couple of bleets.She raises her head.Ok I got her attention.She puts her head back down.Ok,lets do this again.Bleet,bleet,up comes the head again,looking in my direction.Where the pic was taken.

So light is about leaving 15 minutes from now.She starts to take her sweet time deciding to come my way.She starts right on the trail.5 minutes later shes about 85 or so yards.Ok Im saying to myself,you got time girl,keep coming.5 minutes later shes about 70 yards.Lets just say she was taking her time like a typical women. :rolleyes:

So it,s almost non shooting time and she reachs pretty darn to the 60 yard range.The whole time she is face on,never turning.As I raise my bow and look through the scope,I can make her out,but at 60 yards,I just couldnt take the chance,no matter how bad I want a deer.I lowered the bow and just watched her graze in the high grass.

By far this (except the 10 point) my best encounter of getting close for a shot.Just 5 minutes more of daylight, she would of been in range.

She was one of the big does too.I could see her above the high grass.

God I love this sport.To call a deer in and watch it all,man,heart stopping.

Ok Im done talking to myself,which is what I was doing the whole time I was watching her. :blahblah1:

Thanks for reading.

I have day and night time pics of her on the trail cam,so she is coming to the field alot.

Edited by misfish

Here is the bunny and the doe.

Buddies.jpg

I haven't seen either during daylight hours. Makes me wish I had made more of an effort to get out while the days were longer. I didn't sit in the blind until the last week of October. Wasted three weeks of the season. :angry: Maybe you need to move that stand to the other side of the field. One of those tall skinny poplars would be perfect. lol Perhaps we can get out together again this weekend Brian.

Keep at it Brian and I am sure it will pay off.

Looks like a good spot.

I know what you mean with having them come in to you it is really exciting.

I rattled in a nice eight point the other day but was not quite what I was looking for so I let him pass.

Nothing like the excitement of watching a buck come across a 300 yard field to within 20 yards of my stand looking for the two fighters LOL

Anyway hope you get one soon.

Rick

give it time brian! did you ever figure out what was on your ladder that they loved so much?

not everyone gets as lucky or should i say unlucky as me! i went for a walk the other day after putting out more bait and walked up on a doe a spike and a fork horn all at about 15 yards in some beaver grass broadside. thats the lucky part, unlucky was i didnt bring the bow cuz my hands were full of corn salt lick and apples on the way in!

Perhaps we can get out together again this weekend Brian.

Done deal Doug.Same time, same place.

Like I have said so many times.I could put up a dozen stands in this area,and still find another spot to put one.

This weekend looks like the cold maybe be coming.With this warm area,scent floats around.Where as with the cold weather,scent will drop to the ground,making it better for the hunter.

give it time brian! did you ever figure out what was on your ladder that they loved so much?

Yeah I believe I did.I snapped an old straggly apple tree at the base of the stand when I set it up.I figured the sap was giving off alot of scent.

Im going to move that stand 20 ft east towards the corn field.Theres a nice thick tree set back about 10 ft in better cover.Theres also alot of action in that corner of the field.All the grass is banged right down.They seem to be cutting right there.

Will do this Thursday after work.I also have to find my cocking aid.Couldnt find it last night in the dark. :wallbash:

Thanks for the replies.

I know what you mean with having them come in to you it is really exciting.

I rattled in a nice eight point the other day but was not quite what I was looking for so I let him pass.

Good work on getting him in,but I dont think I would of passed.LOL

Edited by misfish