Pigeon Lake Musky

Bobber Down

gotta really like how the fish is hanging from the hook......

might as well been from january 03 , nothing is right about those photos

I agree. :o

I'm gathering it's one of your first muskies. If you continue to target them you should really read up on proper release techniques (and tools required) and handling of these fish.

One of the reasons I hesitate to give tips to inexperienced Muskie anglers is that they'll go out and catch one with 0 idea how to handle one! They are just fish to most people! To those of us that target them we do our best to handle them gently...They look big and mean but they are very fragile creatures, prolonged fights on too light tackle, too long out of the water, mishandling(verticle holds,laying on floor of boat to flop around) can all contribute to a dead fish. A 48"er from Pigeon could be 20 years old and is a trophy fish! Congrats on your first(BIG) Muskie and I'm glad you let her go! If you are going to continue to target them, please school yourself on the best way to handle these important fish, and the best equiptment to do so. Again, nice fish and congrats!

Here is an example of why we use a big Muskie net....Fish resting comfortably after hooks have been removed.

6266niagaramuskie2.jpg

626638_topwater.jpg

All the right landing equipment, Muskie net, hook cutters,longnose pliers,jaw spreaders

all_ready.JPG

Dax Jacklin

Chairman, Hamilton Chapter of Muskies Canada

www.muskiescanada.ca

Edited by Pigeontroller

• 2 weeks later...

The manner in which the fish was displayed was not the best. It was just over excitement of catching a fish that big and there is no excuse for not having a big net. The fish was put back in the water and swam away. There is a no limit rule on our boat. My apologies to anyone offended by the pic..

Hey...we all gotta start somewhere...nice fish. Occasionally, you will see through the flames on this board that it can be a wonderful place for learning and self-improvement...if you've been bitten by the muskie bug, and want to catch more of them while ensuring their healthy survival, you will pick up all kinds of tips from the folks and links on this board.

Congrats, on the fish...thanks for posting...and welcome to OFC :D

The manner in which the fish was displayed was not the best. It was just over excitement of catching a fish that big and there is no excuse for not having a big net. The fish was put back in the water and swam away. There is a no limit rule on our boat. My apologies to anyone offended by the pic..

Thanks for understanding the constructive critism, keep at it!