center pin question

spinnerdoc

been looking around and can't quite decide yet...budget is always a deciding factor.looked at the islander, ravens and saw the angling spec. , i am gearing towards the ross flow reel...any thoughts on that reel...would appreciate it... till i make up my mind...i'm sticking with my abu legend...working good so far

tight lines

Edited by spinnerdoc

I’ve only fished with 1 guy who had the Ross Flow – Haven’t used one or played with one myself…Quirky reel design, you can pop the spool off and switch the handles to the other side if you ever decide to retrieve with the other hand – No need to respool the other way (great if you get tired and are ambidextrous :lol: ). I own a few Ross fly reels and they’re quality pieces for the price (Cimarron and CLA) – Not sure how their float reel would compare.

If it were me, I’d go with either an Islander or a Raven SST if you can afford something in the mid priced range. In the end (in most cases), you won’t be spending more by buying a more expensive but quality reel that will last and perform to your needs. I’m more partial to Islanders mainly because I’ve had one for ages, abused it and it’s never let me down.

Was looking at the Islander as well, I don't think you'll find many negative reviews of the IS...

I currently use an Okuma Aventa...and it's not as refined of a reel as I'd like (ok it's the crumbiest cheap reel out there lol) but the price was right and it works!

Just remember, the reel is just a tool, it's your noggin that will lead to catching fish ;)

Tony

i agree that the reel is just a tool. with these i'll be able to make my decision.i liked the raven sst, feels nice and smooth. i'll see in a few weeks...bearing-wise...which do you guys think have better...the islander feels nicely as well...are parts easy to order or they have to be special ordered?

hey rain coming on thursday..... :)

i agree that the reel is just a tool. with these i'll be able to make my decision.i liked the raven sst, feels nice and smooth. i'll see in a few weeks...bearing-wise...which do you guys think have better...the islander feels nicely as well...are parts easy to order or they have to be special ordered?

hey rain coming on thursday..... :)

Both the Islander and all Raven models are good reels. Both companies have great customer service, I doubt you will have a problem with any model you buy or accessing parts. I have personally used both the Raven Classic/SST 2 and Islander IS and dont have any complaints. Welcome to the wonderful world of centerpinning, you won't go back. Good luck.

J

Edited by justin elia

if you have your budget in mind just buy a used reel in good condition and swap in new bearings....a centre pin reel itself is pretty simple by design, they're all pretty much the same....but it's the bearings that affect the performance you experience on the water....pretty much the more you pay the tigther tolerances you get

my 4 yr old aventa with upgraded bearings outspun every islander I played with yesterday....

I'd recommend looking for an okuma...aventa or sheffield....relatively cheap brand new and lots of used ones everywhere, good quality and look good enough too....a little on the light side to balance the long sticks or heavier rods but there are ways around that too

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i'm fairly new to centerpins as well but as with spinning combo's i found the rod to be more important than the reel. i too use an okuma reel at the moment, and there is nothing wrong with it whatsoever. the okuma rods were garbage though, and within months of getting my first combo i was upgrading. i own a quantum coldwater and a raven now and i'm much happier.

had a closer look at the ross flow and i will not be getting it, the bearing case is thin as hell. anyway, i'm still thinking getting one after christmas, and yes i am still learning to fish steelhead on both my spinning reel and baitcaster...between the 2 i like the baitcaster better.

i'd have to say 3 outings and 2 hooked and one landed gets your heart pounding...i'd say about 3 hrs each time. the view was amazing, i could why someone would be addicted to this

Get a pin and learn and by spring you'll be all over them. islander is great reel ravens are good to but don’t get one that’s to light because your going to have a hard time balancing your rod. best advice is... steelheading isn't as hard as your going to think it is, don't put it in your head that if your shots are not exact or your leader isn't 2 feet you wont catch fish. just fish with confidence and go up to someone with a pin who "is catching fish" and ask them if your set up is right that's all. don't lose sleep if you get skunked don't get frustrated you'll just dig a bigger hole. when I first started I dug a hole big enough for me and 10 others my mistake I took it to serious and not enough confidence. I learned its not as hard as I was making it out to be and as soon as I simplified things I start to have great days on the water.

Good luck

Edited by silvio

Get a pin and learn and by spring you'll be all over them. islander is great reel ravens are good to but don’t get one that’s to light because your going to have a hard time balancing your rod. best advice is... steelheading isn't as hard as your going to think it is, don't put it in your head that if your shots are not exact or your leader isn't 2 feet you wont catch fish. just fish with confidence and go up to someone with a pin who "is catching fish" and ask them if your set up is right that’s all. don't lose sleep if you get skunked don't get frustrated you'll just dig a bigger hole. when I first started I dug a hole big enough for me and 10 others my mistake I took it to serious and not enough confidence. I learned its not as hard as I was making it out to be and as soon as I simplified things I start to have great days on the water.

Good luck

^ good words.

Take a look at a bunch of us "starting steelheaders" this season and how we have been skunked time and time again. But we keep going back and staying at it.

Laz was the first one to break the ice and now I'm waiting on mine! lol..

nice to know that people haven't forgotten that they were once newbies like me. in terms of getting skunked i am not too cencerned about it as i go fish to relax and be with nature, so to speak. i've learned a long time ago not to go fishing expecting to catch anything, for me i'm always glad just to go fishing.

nice to know that people haven't forgotten that they were once newbies like me. in terms of getting skunked i am not too cencerned about it as i go fish to relax and be with nature, so to speak. i've learned a long time ago not to go fishing expecting to catch anything, for me i'm always glad just to go fishing.

Exactly :)

It's better to be in the middle of the river catching nothing, than sitting at home doing nothing.

Gear is Gear... but with crappy gear, it decreases your chances at landing a fish greatly.

Thats why I on oam biting the bullet and getting a nice float setup.

My dauhters barbie and nemo combos out fished me everytime I take them out.Mind you I had to land them.5 lb bass at temagemi(pictures to come),on a kiddy rod trolling.Same as the grand 4lb pick.If you know the equipement and the fish your fishing for.There should not be a problem.I bit the bullet too many times and she bit me for it,no regrets,but like I was told by an all knowing fly fisherman :worthy::worthy: you can catch a fish on a twig with string.tried it,and it worked just fine.