Clear water steelhead, had to work for these!!!

Burtess

Have a problem this year, can't land any big ones :dunno:

Had a beast on today, but broke the leader.....

Water was ultra clear (as it is in most smaller flows).... Small roe bags and pink worms produced these:

1-1.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

That last one I had to keep (hate doing that...), she sucked the pink worm into its gill rakers and bled profusely when I landed her. I was surprised to find some loose roe in her, not much as she was only a 21" fish.....

Burt :)

Nice going to get fish in these tough conditions. Similar to Stonefly, I didn't bother this weekend either.

I notice that a lot of guys use hair elastics etc for reels with weak clickers so I thought I'd post this little tip which works for all reels - say goodbye to those elastics. Thanks to Treeman from floatfishing.net for posting this originally.

Simply place your hook in the hook keeper and pull the line around the back of the reel. Simply give the reel a bit of a turn and it will stay tight, without even engaging the clicker!

weakclickerfix0111.jpg

Edited by wallacio

Nice going to get fish in these tough conditions. Similar to Stonefly, I didn't bother this weekend either.

I notice that a lot of guys use hair elastics etc for reels with weak clickers so I thought I'd post this little tip which works for all reels - say goodbye to those elastics. Thanks to Treeman from floatfishing.net for posting this originally.

Simply place your hook in the hook keeper and pull the line around the back of the reel. Simply give the reel a bit of a turn and it will stay tight, without even engaging the clicker!

weakclickerfix0111.jpg

Whats Wrong with Elastics? lol. I rearely use the hook keeper, My reel is pretty close to it, just the position i prefer and I find I end up touching the hook too much while walking, especially not good if you have a roe bag on it. I just use the stem of the first guide as a hook keeper, it does need cleaning more often this way however.

I think some state side fish are making there way into our rivers I got a few fall spawners this year very weird. I know in the states there are a lot of fall spawners so there is that possibility.

Nice fish btw much deserved

Edited by silvio

Wallacio, I will give your method a try next time I'm out, maybe I can get rid of the elastic lol....

I think some state side fish are making there way into our rivers I got a few fall spawners this year very weird. I know in the states there are a lot of fall spawners so there is that possibility.

Are those fish clipped, because these were all unclipped and I presume wild?

Also, smolts this year are bigger than usual, a lot in the 10-12" range.....

The fish that I kept, on cleaning and examination of stomach contents, the stomach was full of the moss that grows on the rocks, with some scud like insects as well. I imagine that they are feeding on the insects and ingest a lot of moss incidentally?

Burt :)

I am not sure if the states clip there fish but dam i've seen alot of fall spawners super dark fish with there vents out already.

Even if they aren't clipped, look at the top fin,... if they are compressed and close to the body, it's a hatchery fish for sure.