Steelhead, Ho's and Browns

solopaddler

I still havn't managed to retrieve the pic's from last Thursdays incredible day of fishing. I tried everything that was suggested to me so far with no luck. <_<

In any case here's a few more shots from Saturdays outing with BillM.

Bill's rosy cheeked beauty once again:

SaugeenNov09008.jpg

SaugeenNov09009.jpg

A funky looking male coho. Fishing dead slack water with a big, bright jig under the float. This type of fishing is a lot of fun as you constantly twitch, twitch, twitch the float, even popping it every once in a while.

The ho's it seems can't resist and the hits are savage:

SaugeenNov09003.jpg

One of a handful of steelhead:

SaugeenNov09011.jpg

And finally, the reason we were there: :)

SaugeenNov09012.jpg

Gold baby, gold. B)

Cheers

That Ho has the meanest Kype Ive ever seen,....lol. Quite obvious where you guys were now. Hope you left a few brownie eggs to spawn ;) kinda surprised to see the last pic to be honest. To each their own. cheers,

One brown made a donation of roe that day..

The rest is chinny.

I told Mike to post that pic just because I wanted to laugh at all the roe monger responses :)

One brown made a donation of roe that day..

The rest is chinny.

I told Mike to post that pic just because I wanted to laugh at all the roe monger responses :)

Chinny? are you telling me there are still chinnies down there? I have only seen one salmon in the past 2 weeks and it was a half dead blood red ho swimming upside down up and down the current and tramatizing the steelhead I was gunning for. I wanted to put him out of his misery, but he kept coming back to life, then he would go belly up and drift down,...then back to life. Harvesting Chinny roe is one thing, but brown is quite different and steelhead different again,..dont you agree? But I also know how good the later 2 especially brown work,...but like I said, to each their own. No Mongering ;) and I for sure know it wasnt slit and tossed on the bank, like I have seen so many of....quite surprised a brown still had roe by now actually.

Lots of giant black boots.. I think I pulled 3-4 hooks out of the one I landed, poor thing...

I've never harvested brown roe before, actually haven't yet.. both fish I took roe from were chinnies.

Only time I harvest rainbow row is from down in the US, and it's from a trib that's made up of stockers.. I won't touch a wild fish.

Lots of giant black boots.. I think I pulled 3-4 hooks out of the one I landed, poor thing...

I've never harvested brown roe before, actually haven't yet.. both fish I took roe from were chinnies.

Only time I harvest rainbow row is from down in the US, and it's from a trib that's made up of stockers.. I won't touch a wild fish.

What would be nice is if we could buy the dam stuff except in those $20 cavier bottles in the delicacy stores. so did the boots hit like wild or did you just lift em by the tails and fill bags,...lol. Just kidding,..still surprised they havent dropped their load by now. where I been fishing they are Gonzo half covered with silt!!! those browns we saw on the flats must have been spawned out also hence just hangin around the way chinnies do after spawning.

The chinnies were full of life man, I couldn't believe it. I had a monster hooked (legally) and I couldn't even make headway on it. I've never had my GL3 bent over like that before... Everytime the float would quiver, I'd be like "Oh man, not again" A few quick pops to try and dislodge my hook from wherever I flossed the stupid thing. If they were ganked, they'd break you off in a few seconds, or we'd just bust it off ourselves.

I actually had a pair spawning right in front of me... Won't be much in the way of chinnies down there in the next week or so, definitely near the end.

But full of life, that's for sure.

The chinnies were full of life man, I couldn't believe it. I had a monster hooked (legally) and I couldn't even make headway on it. I've never had my GL3 bent over like that before... Everytime the float would quiver, I'd be like "Oh man, not again" A few quick pops to try and dislodge my hook from wherever I flossed the stupid thing. If they were ganked, they'd break you off in a few seconds, or we'd just bust it off ourselves.

I actually had a pair spawning right in front of me... Won't be much in the way of chinnies down there in the next week or so, definitely near the end.

But full of life, that's for sure.

Weird for this time of year, although I know there was a late run with all the rain a couple weeks ago,..those guys musta been locked from moving up. anyways,..no matter what anyone says,..I love playin with chnnies too and it goes without saying that any self respecting steelheader is gonna break off a snagged fish at the fist sign. but still even a 30lb Chinnie chin chin (unless it is Chrome fresh) is no match for a 10lb wild fresh Steelhead, IMHO anyways, especially considering where you need to pull them from.

Tied into a few big wild 10lb'ers on the 'Geen a few weeks ago.. As soon you put hooks into them, they went directly for the sky.

I gotta agree with you on that one, steelies are one of the best.

Even those small 3-4lb'ers that you sometimes get in the Notty in early October are a hand full.

Tied into a few big wild 10lb'ers on the 'Geen a few weeks ago.. As soon you put hooks into them, they went directly for the sky.

I gotta agree with you on that one, steelies are one of the best.

Even those small 3-4lb'ers that you sometimes get in the Notty in early October are a hand full.

You sure you didn't hook em in the belly...lol, just kidding,...Ive hooked into plenty of 10lb+, but I find they rarley jump at that size,...depends on the water and the temp and time of year I think. As for those notty 3-4lbs, YEAH,...its like a 7-8 lbs+ from Lake O plus they have the acrobatics ;) They get bigger in Novemeber ;) but the Crossbow hunters are also more prevalent :unsure:

Great reportage Mike. Gnarly looking coho for sure.

Weird for this time of year, although I know there was a late run with all the rain a couple weeks ago,..those guys musta been locked from moving up. anyways,..no matter what anyone says,..I love playin with chnnies too and it goes without saying that any self respecting steelheader is gonna break off a snagged fish at the fist sign. but still even a 30lb Chinnie chin chin (unless it is Chrome fresh) is no match for a 10lb wild fresh Steelhead, IMHO anyways, especially considering where you need to pull them from.

There's 2 rivers I regularly fish which are notorious for late running chinnies (fresh chrome ones mixed in too along with the zombies). One river there are literally loads of them from mid August through to mid November. The second river the main run starts much later on average compared to all the other ones around it (Usually mid/late October and ends in late November/December)...I've caught silvery (not entirely chrome) and lightly darkened chinnies in mid December. One fish I hooked into in mid-December, I thought I hooked a world record steelie till I brought it up to the surface :lol: Was a slightly darkened king...No complaints :D

Great reportage Mike. Gnarly looking coho for sure.

There's 2 rivers I regularly fish which are notorious for late running chinnies (fresh chrome ones mixed in too along with the zombies). One river there are literally loads of them from mid August through to mid November. The second river the main run starts much later on average compared to all the other ones around it (Usually mid/late October and ends in late November/December)...I've caught silvery (not entirely chrome) and lightly darkened chinnies in mid December. One fish I hooked into in mid-December, I thought I hooked a world record steelie till I brought it up to the surface :lol: Was a slightly darkened king...No complaints :D

Mike I just realized I was supposed to message you last week as I read your reply. :blush:

Very sorry!

You sure you didn't hook em in the belly...lol, just kidding,...Ive hooked into plenty of 10lb+, but I find they rarley jump at that size,...depends on the water and the temp and time of year I think.

I'm a professional flosser if I can belly hook a 10lb'er in the 'Geen.

We hit it just right, one of the best days I've had out on the water this year...

It's fun to see big fish leap out of the water 4-5 times.

I'm a professional flosser if I can belly hook a 10lb'er in the 'Geen.

We hit it just right, one of the best days I've had out on the water this year...

It's fun to see big fish leap out of the water 4-5 times.

C'mon,..belly hooking and flossing are 2 totally different professions,..lol. Besides I was kidding ;)

Nice fishin there guys. Be sure to check the regs before carying that much roe on you down there. You probably already know, but some guys might think that they can go down there and help themselves to as much roe as they want. This is not the case.