Roof/baffle question

ColdH20guy

Hi guys

Quick question if you dont mind....so we bought the house we are in a couple years ago in February and noticed a 4' section of ice jam on the roof.(The shingles were replaced 2-3 years ago with double ice shield) by the previous owners..anyway we noticed it again last winter and began wondering..hmmmm

I popped my head up the attic hatch and saw the styrofoam vents that go between the rafters but not where the jamming is...unless the blown insulation has blown them so I cant see them...there is not alot of room to hoist myelf up there and crawl over on pieces of wood not enough room to stand at all)to see whats going on in that spot..is it possible to take a peek from the outside under the soffitt etc?

Or find a really small person to go in? lol was thinking of the heater cables but would rather get the needed circulation up there rather than band aid it....or is it a huge problem at all..we have had no leaks..

thanks guys

Rich

If you can pull out a section of soffit that would be the easiest way, as you know the baffle goes between the top plate of the wall and roof.

You probably want to check the soffit area anyway if they missed installing the baffle in a spot the insulation may have been blown in there.

Use a stick to carefully make room for the baffle and slide it in, take care to get the insulation back in place without compressing it too much.

Dan

Ice daming occures when the air in the attic is not the same temp as the outside air. 80%-90% of the soffits vented correctly should be sufficient to move enough air, the problem may be the roof vents themselves. The # of vents and placement is critical to moving the air correctly. I believe the code calls for a minimum of 1 mushroom vent for every 300 qubic feet of attic space and they should be installed within 2' of the ridge. If you find mushroom vents are not cutting it or are getting covered with snow on a low slope roof you may want to install a couple whirly birds ( http://www.luxurymetals.com/turbinevents.h...3c-983d9bdb35ba ) and even install them on a 16" tower to keep them above the snow line.

If infact the vented aluminum soffit is covering old plywood soffit you may have to remove some soffit and drill 4" holes in the plywood to allow more draw. But as was stated if access to your attic is not possible removing some soffit and doing it from the outside is your next option.

you may want to install a couple whirly birds ( http://www.luxurymetals.com/turbinevents.h...3c-983d9bdb35ba ) and even install them on a 16" tower to keep them above the snow line.

If infact the vented aluminum soffit is covering old plywood soffit you may have to remove some soffit and drill 4" holes in the plywood to allow more draw. But as was stated if access to your attic is not possible removing some soffit and doing it from the outside is your next option.

:angry: Whirlybirds, If I knew back then what I know now about whirlybirds, I would have jammed the damm things up the contractors :asshat: , but, likely he didn't know either cause it appears they are one of those "fad" things. What got me about them, long story long, when there's almost no wind or they get stuck from snowfall, the snow will actually gently sift in and accumulate. How do I know, 5 years ago after the garge was built and not yet insulated, I go out one fine winter day and find about a 2 foot high "snow cone" on the cement floor...WTH, not stuck, just the snow gently sifting in. Then the flashcube goes off and now I know why there's a couple of rusty nailheads showing on the ceiling drywall...yep..right under the bloody whirlybirds. After checking in the attic, 2 nice big 2' diameter depressions in the insulation. I think right about now those whirly birds are on an eliptical orbit...I now have 2 of the Duraflow vents: http://duraflo.com/roofing/roofingvents.htm over the old turbine ducts and one of the the Replacement heads from Maximum Ventilation on the garage: http://ventilation-maximum.com/English/product-model401.html

Check with some bona fide roofers, they will also tell you.