Coyote problem? Solved

Skud

lol...some of the comments from the ignorant are quite amusing yet sad at the same time...

"testosterone deficiency"

"disgusting"

"who has that much free time"

"how can that be real"

"holy crap..they have a forum for everything"

some places have far too many coyotes and with practically no natural predators we need hunters and trappers to keep the populations in check. if it werent for these men and women killing thousands of coyotes every year there would be much less wildlife in the bush and a lot more livestock being lost. it is nearly impossible to get rid of all coyotes in an area which is why there are no seasons or bag limits in most areas.

Thanks, those words couldnt be more acurate.

Edited by LucG

lol...some of the comments from the ignorant are quite amusing yet sad at the same time...

"disgusting"

"how can that be real"

some places have far too many coyotes and with practically no natural predators we need hunters and trappers to keep the populations in check. if it werent for these men and women killing thousands of coyotes every year there would be much less wildlife in the bush and a lot more livestock being lost. it is nearly impossible to get rid of all coyotes in an area which is why there are no seasons or bag limits in most areas.

My quoted remark was not of distaste or disapproval, it was of astonishment. I know this are of the province is supposed to have an extreme population of coyotes now, so seeing a visual like that is something that puts it into perspective.

My recollection from SSFC is that coyote population control is pretty much an excercise in futility since they will always breed to food supply.

Moles, voles, field mice and rabbits are in good supply with the last two wet winters.

Coyotes (in this area anyway) are actually helpful since we have little other predators, but their increase in numbers is concerning.

"disgusting"

"how can that be real"

There are a lot.. and I'm ok with controlling pop. But I would say that without our control measures, they would cull themselves... by starving themselves one they eat all the prey... it does happen in remote areas where predator/prey relationships are dependent on one anther..

i suppose that we don[t have that much time...

anyhow the posters are entitled to their opinions... I try to take a balanced approach recognizing that people in certain parts of the province, especially farming communities aren't fond of yotes...

There are a lot.. and I'm ok with controlling pop. But I would say that without our control measures, they would cull themselves... by starving themselves one they eat all the prey... it does happen in remote areas where predator/prey relationships are dependent on one anther..

i suppose that we don[t have that much time...

anyhow the posters are entitled to their opinions... I try to take a balanced approach recognizing that people in certain parts of the province, especially farming communities aren't fond of yotes...

when the coyotes eat all they can in an area they start feeding on livestock. its simply to costly for many farmers to coyote proof (they will dig under fences) their properties so the coyotes would just have a hay day on live stock. its also been documented that small game populations will sometimes increase after coyotes move in the area. they pretty much just make up for the loss to coyotes. makes sense i guess.

and no this is not a huge waste of fur. the hides have likely been stretched and dried out already and put in storage for the winter and this was a pic they staged before taking the fur to auction. that is a LOT of money sitting right there and he put in a lot of time to get those animals so i doubt he'd waste em. last i checked the average coyote hide was going for $25-$30 at the toronto fur auction.

anyone wanna take a count to see how many he has up there? :P