Float Rod & Reel Storage en Route to fishing destination...

rbaquial

Hey Float-fisherman,

I just have a quick couple of questions...

While you are en route to your fishing destination... do you keep your ROD and REEL out in the open? (in the back of your car/truck?) or do you keep it in some sort of bag? (so not to accidentally close a door on the rod tip)

The reason why I'm asking is that I am in the market in looking for some STORAGE for my FLOATFISHING gear while en route to a fishing destination. I've already had 2 rods break on me in the last 2 months alone!

If anyone can suggest a carrier that is excellent for holding FLOAT ROD & REEL I would greatly appreciate it - again, I am in the market for one.

ONLY 1 REQUIREMENT for this "Storage" case...

- Must be able to store both ROD and REEL at the same time (preferably line and terminal tackle still attached; just collapsed; so all I would need to do is assemble rod, and I'm ready to fish)

- Would be nice if it could hold more than 2 in 1 case...

Something similar to this I suppose?

case-797559.jpg

Thanks! (Any all help is much appreciated)

A2F

Go to Canadian Tire or any home supply store. get a piece of PVC pipe of the corresponding length and enough diameter to handle your guides and a couple of test caps. Been using the same case over twenty years and the same rod too. :whistling:

sorry didn't realize you wanted to keep the reel on the rod, that makes it tough

Edited by dave524

Go to Canadian Tire or any home supply store. get a piece of PVC pipe of the corresponding length and enough diameter to handle your guides and a couple of test caps. Been using the same case over twenty years and the same rod too. :whistling:

I thought of doing that - don't you find it really heavy?? Can you PM me a pic your finish product? I just think it would look odd carrying a piece of pipe to a river.... :dunno:

Edited by A2F

Most tackle shops carry rod cases that will hold the reel as well, and/or multiple rods. They may not have them in stock that size, but if you ask they likely can order something in that will work for you. I got one for about $35 or so last year and it's definitely been good for me.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i just leave mine out because usually i partially rig up at home to save time/trouble in the dark or when i'm trying to beat the after work rush...when i get home i take the reel off, clean it, put the rod into a cloth case and store it somewhere safe.

yea i just fold up my 3 peice 13' still rigged and than put the neoprene cover over my reel and the blank holds it good enough

Same here. I've also never been fond of leaving things in my car in plain sight for thieves to see (like a long rod tube).

I would be cautious though with float rods using the PacBay high-frame guides when doing this. I've broken a number of these guides just trying to break down my rods while it's still rigged.

The folded up rod sits shotgun. Its further up the totem that the fishing cohorts.

I usually wrap a towel or spare shirt around in the truck to stop the rattling.

Once broken down I find them pretty tough. Tie em up with a couple of the old ladies hair elastics so theres no sunbaked elastics and youre set.

i just leave the 15 footer hanging out the back of the truck...( but i dont have to go far)...when i did have to go far.....i used the pvc pipe with abs glued cap on the front ( faces into the wind) and a cut out of the pipe up to the reel seat ( keeps the reel on while transporting ) and a non glued abs cap on the other end....