Hard work pays off

justin elia

Aaron and I decided to hit up some NY tribs for some browns. With a lot of hard work and patience, we landed a few browns and had some steelies mixed in. The water on the Lake O tribs are extremely low and clear, so we had to scale down our presentations to light leader, small roe bags and small flies. For a weekday, both tribs were stuffed full of anglers.....and some non-ethical ones too. I would hate to see it on a weekend. Enjoy!

Nice female Brown!!!

NY_Browns_10-2009_1.jpg

Aarons beauty

NY_Browns_10-2009_2.jpg

This male took a small purple jig

NY_Browns_10-2009_3.jpg

Close up

NY_Browns_10-2009_4.jpg

Nice browns! I need to make a trip out that way this year.

Not many fish around and they are all spooked after the first 30 minutes of light. Tons of Salmon still around and too many anglers hovering over the pools and runs. I would wait until we get a significant amount of rain before going that way or hunting season starts.

Glad to see you are enjoying the steelie/brown fishing on the NY side of the pond. And thank you for not stating specific locations of where you fished like you did on your WFN blog posting.

Good Fishing,

Tom

There are secret spots in NY? lol

Glad to see you are enjoying the steelie/brown fishing on the NY side of the pond. And thank you for not stating specific locations of where you fished like you did on your WFN blog posting.

Good Fishing,

Tom

Not so secret anymore...all we have to do is check out his blog and round up the posse to go overfish all the good spots! Thanks a LOT for blowing that one out of the water, Tom :P

Nice fish, Justin...thanks for sharing :)

There are secret spots in NY? lol

Yes BillM there are still a few spots in WNY that get minimal pressure. These areas are kept tight lipped as they are a fisherman's utopia. Maybe when you visit and walk some of the local WNY waters, you may find a jewel in the ruff.

I would have figured that Justin, an individual that is so passionate about his sport, would have had the ethics and common courtesy not to post specific locations on a blog. I am sure these actions would not be tolerated if they affected your local tributaties?

Hopefully we will meet on the water some day and share our experiences.

Tom

BillM,

Yes there are some amazing and scenic waters in the area. I have recently discovered the joy's of the area you pointed out with the guidance of a fellow angler.

The point I was trying to make comes up every year. Yes, many areas are known, but why the need to state specifics.

Tom

Yeah there's definitely still some secret spots south of the border.

Pretty much every single stream, brook and ditch that flows in Ontario and Erie's south shore sees a run of fish.

Many of these fisheries are completely untapped.

The problem for me is I hate fishing small water for steelhead, so even though I know these fisheries exist, I stay away.

Some of the creek mouths can be good. Fishing in the lake has saved my bacon more than once when everything's been blown.

As far as naming this particular trib goes I just can't see the harm. It's not possible for that place to become more of a zoo. :whistling:

As far as I'm concerned it was the several fly fishing mag's that printed feature articles on it a few years ago that really piled on the pressure..

As is the case with most pressured spots wait 'till the snow flies. The fairweather fishermen will be gone, and there'll be lots of room for the diehards. :)