streamer fishing

basskicker09

im goign to be fishing some local water this week for trout maybe port dalhouseie or lower niagara i was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what colour streamers or what to use this time of year any help would be nice

kinda new to trout fishing

thanks Rob D.

Hi Rob,

Niagara and Port D are both pretty challenging waters to try and fish with flies. If you're new to trout fishing, you might want to forget about the streamers and try drifting roe or emerald shiners along bottom instead. You'll have a better chance of success as you get the feel for it.

Simplest rig is a small hook (#10 or #12 works fine) and enough weight you're bumping bottom now and then without constantly getting hung up. Position the weight about 18 inches up the line from the hook, and don't worry about any snaps, swivels or leaders. Six pound mono or eight pound mono will work perfectly.

If you're getting snagged on bottom constantly, try using a three-way swivel about 18 inches up the line from the hook. Hang a short length of line (maybe six to eight inches) off the third swivel eye, and crimp the weight on there instead of on your main line. When you get stuck, give a smooth pull and you'll strip the weight off the hanging line. You'll need to replace the missing weights, but it saves having to re-tie the whole works.

At least that will get you started. Good luck.

Hi Rob,

Niagara and Port D are both pretty challenging waters to try and fish with flies. If you're new to trout fishing, you might want to forget about the streamers and try drifting roe or emerald shiners along bottom instead. You'll have a better chance of success as you get the feel for it.

Simplest rig is a small hook (#10 or #12 works fine) and enough weight you're bumping bottom now and then without constantly getting hung up. Position the weight about 18 inches up the line from the hook, and don't worry about any snaps, swivels or leaders. Six pound mono or eight pound mono will work perfectly.

If you're getting snagged on bottom constantly, try using a three-way swivel about 18 inches up the line from the hook. Hang a short length of line (maybe six to eight inches) off the third swivel eye, and crimp the weight on there instead of on your main line. When you get stuck, give a smooth pull and you'll strip the weight off the hanging line. You'll need to replace the missing weights, but it saves having to re-tie the whole works.

At least that will get you started. Good luck.

Ditto on what Craig said.

However if you tie your own flies, you can try tying your own polar fiber minnows (I tie mine at 3 inches). I've had great success fishing these in the lower Niagara for the steelhead. I've tied them with colour combinations such as blue + white (seen below), black + purple + white, green + olive + white and pure white. I'm really tempted to try tying them as tube flies for future trips so I can switch up the hook when it dulls from hitting rocks and other snags. I coat the eyes and head with rod building epoxy (30 min probably works best if you can get it) and use crystal flash (Usually red) for the gills. I sometimes tie in a few strands of different coloured Mylar, crystal flash or flashabou along the side of the fly for some added flash.

DSC_0050.jpg

Woolly buggers work great for steelhead and browns as well as 3-4 inch deceivers and clouser minnows if you're beach casting somewhere at the mouth of a river.

Hope this helps