Tying Trailers on Trebles

Fishnwire

I want to start tying my own trailers (I think that's what they're called...I'm referring to treble hooks dressed up simular to a fly) to use on my cranks and topwaters as the tail end hook or on spinners and spoons. What would be required to set myself up to be able to do so, and about how much would I need to spend to get started? I assume I would need a little bench vise and that tool fly tiers used to hold the spool of thread as it is wrapped around the fly. Is there anything else I'd need? And again, how much is this going to cost me?

Thanks.

Edited by Fishnwire

Oh Oh, it's gonna' cost you big time, this is just the tip of the iceberg. ;)

Now to be serious, you can spend a bunch or you can spend a little (don't tell my wife I wrote that).

I've used vicegrips to hold dressed hooks, cheap fake feathers from a craft store, sewing thread and nail polish to make flies and such. Cheap way to start to see if you are happy with your results.

Don't go whole hog on dressing all of your hooks until you can test some. Sometimes the dressed treble will harm the subtle action of some baits.

you can set yourself up with a proper vice for around or under twenty and a bobbin thing that holds thread is a couple bucks and head cement is a couple bucks as well and thread so with about 40 bucks you can get set up to do what you want for around 40 bucks

That's about right, the cost that is... you can get the cement at the $$ store and some of the items needed as well to dress the hook. go check out the fly tying section at your local tackle shop as well as craft stores...

Edited by GBW

This is a page out of the luremaking.com catalogue which is entirely downloadable from their site.

http://www.luremaking.com/howto/bucktails/bucktail1.htm

Awesome!

Thanks Roy and everyone else. I'm going to give it a try for sure. Something fishing related to pass the time during those long, cold winter nights is just what I need. Hopefully I'l have some pics up in a couple of weeks with some early results.