Bonjour Monsieur Bass - Quebec Report (Oct. 26)

JustinHoffman

Hello All,

With the weather looking fairly decent today (Monday), and with nothing on for the afternoon, I decided to spend the afternoon chasing bass in Quebec.

Hit a small lake at 1pm and began our search. Winds were very calm, and, although the forecast only called for +4 degrees, it was quite toasty warm in the gear we were wearing. (Of course, within an hour or so, we were greeted by sporadic ice pellets, and continuous showers for the rest of our outing...)

Fish were extremely finicky. This may be an understatement. Any "hits", if you could even call them that, felt like nothing more than a subtle brush of your jig along a strand of weed. Although it took us an hour or so to figure this pattern out, once we did, all of our fish came from slowly dragging our baits along bottom, in many ways, almost dead-sticking them. Any greater action, and the fish just weren't interested.

For our five hours of water time, we put 32 bass in the boat. Fairly even mix of largies and smallies, but nothing overly big. All fish came on an assortment of plastic grubs, including Berkley PowerBait Mud Critters, BPS Flippin' Craws, Gambler Ugly Otters, and a few other grub baits, rigged on 3/8oz Fin-tech TitleSHot "Football" Jigs.

The Kistler Magnesium "Alton Jones" Football Head Jig rod worked awesome for feeling these ultra-light hits, and gave the necessary "oomph" needed for the deep-water hooksets.

Fish were keying-in on depths between 10 and 19-feet, with 15-feet holding the majority of the fish. Most came from breaks adjacent to points, and small pockets of isolated rubble were key to finding concentrations.

Here are a few of the better fish:

Quebec1-1.jpg

Quebec2-1.jpg

Quebec3-1.jpg

I had to hand-line this following fish into the boat, after my braid got tangled around the tip of my rod on the initial hookset - made for an interesting fight!

Quebec4-1.jpg

All in all, another great afternoon chasing my favourite fish. Looking forward to another few outings before the water begins to finally firm up...

Good Fishing,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

nice smallie there, for some reason im horible at using plastics, i need to work on my presentation i guess ur tips will help, especially for all this rainy weather we're having! i usually just jerk my rapala x rap along and find success that way, but in the weeds i get screwed!!!

Thanks, guys...

GCD - just one question for you - ever fish with anything other than Sabiki rigs, not more than 10 feet from the same dam, and take anything other than the same identical self-timer shots of fish that generally average less than 12-inches?? :rolleyes:

But hey, if this is your idea of "glory" fish, I think I'll stick with my bass... ;)

DSC01863.jpg

Good Fishing,

Justin

Thanks, guys...

GCD - just one question for you - ever fish with anything other than Sabiki rigs, not more than 10 feet from the same dam, and take anything other than the same identical self-timer shots of fish that generally average less than 12-inches?? :rolleyes:

But hey, if this is your idea of "glory" fish, I think I'll stick with my bass... ;)

DSC01863.jpg

Good Fishing,

Justin

Ha!... you forgot aboot these Monsewer Dustin!!!

DSC01489-1.jpg

CopyofDSC01642.jpg

DSC01867.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

DSC01357.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

DSC00771.jpg

DSC00718.jpg

Picture1005-1.jpg

Fishin12-26-07002.jpg

DSC01955.jpg

... just to name a few, yes I am a multi-species angler... and I do have the date set to display on my camera so as not to try to dupe the board members into believing that I caught all of my fish in a multiple day outing, in a single day!... but that's just me eh!!! ;)

Edited by GCD

GCD - if you're suggesting I claim to catch all of my fish in a single outing, when they are in fact multiple outings, then you're barking up the wrong tree...

The reason I don't shoot images showcasing a date, is, well, it would be pretty hard to sell any of them to the magazines altered in that state, and since this is my work, that is why I choose not to...(plus, I think it ruins the images, but that's just me)

Great to see your "hero" shots here....now come north of the border where the bass are real braggin' size..

I understand aboot the magazine article/TV show guys not adding the date display to their articles/shows... it would add credibility eh! ;)

I'm also a fan of your hero/glory shots with the relatively easy to catch Bass!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::canadian:

When can we expect to see a Mucksie report???... or does that take too much time?... or are the guides too expensive???

You're too much, GCD...no wonder many just shake their head at you... I know

;)

Not even worth my time responding to any more of your gibberish...:blahblah1: ...and you responded because of why???

Another hijacked thread - go figure.... I just asked a couple of simple questions eh?"!!!

Good Fishing,

Justin