Musky net???

sconceptor

What net are you musky fisherpersons using these days?

I would like to improve my handling quality and care......currently have a large salmon net which did okay on the 51x24.5 we just caught......I'd like an upgrade!

Thinking of a Frabil cradle, but the thought of not netting and having to slide it in, then losing the fish as it swims away is super scary.

Frabil Big Kahua is too big and expsensive......then they have lots of other options on their website.....I might ask them for assistance, but what do you all think?

Limited on my storage as my boat is only a 15ft princecraft dlx.......salmon net would stand on guard, blocking some casting.....I think a cradle would slide in between the support and side storage along to the stern just like where I keep the paddles and rods.

Thanks for your input!

Mid summer I got all the way to Lindsay before realizing I forgot the net. Picked up a lucky strike net at CT for $50. It could be a little bigger but the small mesh did no damage to the fish and was easy on the wallet. It handled a 45 no problem. As for cradles they make me too nervouse.

A landing net and a cradle are two different things and serve different purposes. The landing net is used to hold the fish in the water while hooks are removed...also to help the fish gain some strength after the combat. This time is also used for getting the camera ready should you want a pic of your catch. After the pic is taken, the cradle is used to hold a fish to measure it showing its full length. The cradle is then slid from under the fish and the release procedure begins.

Trying to land a muskie with a cradle is a very dangerous undertaking.

A landing net and a cradle are two different things and serve different purposes. The landing net is used to hold the fish in the water while hooks are removed...also to help the fish gain some strength after the combat. This time is also used for getting the camera ready should you want a pic of your catch. After the pic is taken, the cradle is used to hold a fish to measure it showing its full length. The cradle is then slid from under the fish and the release procedure begins.

Trying to land a muskie with a cradle is a very dangerous undertaking.

I could not of said it any better.

landing a musky in a craddle will lead to embedded hooks in your hand, arm, or maybe even worse. Of all freshwater species, muskies are the ones yo do not want to take shortcuts with. Do it properly, for the fish but most importantly for you.

Guest gbfisher

just to add a little....make sure you get a net that you and the people you have on board can handle. Not to big..but still big enough to hold a 50 plus in the water... :D

Edited by gbfisher

As Roy said, the best thing about a good Muskie net is that it acts as a holding pen, allowing the fish to remain in the water most of the time. A cradle is a two person operation, where as you can land a fish yourself with a net. A fine mesh Salmon net is really hard on a Muskies Tail and fins. Stowmaster, Beckman or Frabil are the way to go, net cheap, but nothing about Muskie fishing is, and the most valuable thing is the fish, that 51" you got was likely over 20 years old!

Lots of good educational stuff in the replies. My buddy and I use a frabil in my 14'er. Yes, it's a little large, but it is amazing when handling a fish and removing hooks. Then the release is very easy, because of less stress on the fish by leaving it in the water.

So is a 30x 39inche net large enough for a 50lber I'm going to catch later this year or next fall? Should I go with the larger 32x 40?

I think a 4foot handle is enough.

I guess we'll have to miss a few casts and hook into the net, as it stands ready....I don't mind that too much.....as I agree a cradle isn't what I'm after.

There are three good brands of muskie nets in North America. Frabill, Beckman and Stowmaster ...not necessarily in that order. Buy what you think will be good for you, the size fish you're after and, whether you fish alone and the type of boat you have. There's a caveat/addendum I should add to my original post. It really will help.