what's your favourite oil and grease for your reels

jamisteel

For the bearings, I use Rem-Oil or Hot Sauce. Just one tiny drop. I want the main bearings to be like they were dry. For grease, I have a can of instrument grease that I got over 30 years ago when I was an instrument tech in the Air Force. Wow....this stuff does not even think about getting thicker....even at -30 F. Then there is just ordinary sewing machine oil for the places where the bearings are not subjected to high speeds.

However, I will be buying an oil called "Rocket Fuel". It's a tad thicker than Hot Sauce. I have heard that Hot Sauce is sometimes too thin. I clean and lubricate my spool bearings a couple of times during the season.

Another vote for Hot Sauce!!! As for grease, Hot Sauce Grease. I like it HOT!

On my level wind worms, I put a bit of grease and work it around, on all the bearings, a dot of oil.

It is much slicker than light machine oil and I find my reels perform much better.

A secret (no longer) is when the surfcasting competitions people would degrease/clean their reels and then lube up the bearings with lighter fluid to give them just the right oil but not the drag of a heavy lube. The downside is it has no rust or corrosion prevention so after the contest they would oil the reels till the next time and then degrease and lighter fluid them again....

Art