Sault steel!

pikeie

So in bettween studies ive been able to hit the river quite a few times. The runs this year have been great for most if not all the salmon species. In the past little while the steelhead have started there fall runs, and we've been getting into them quite good. They seem to be smashing the largest of roe bags over a toonie size... kinda crazy even in the clear waters! the Cohos have been great for me this year with plenty being caught, and some lost lol. The other day i got into them good with three cohos in three drifts haha. so anyways enough chating on to the pics ahaha. ive blured the faces on my buddies, they dont acctually look like that lol.

coho1.jpg

my first coho of the year... alomost looks like a chinny

coho3.jpg

here's the same fish

coho5.jpg

Another nice coho... love the colours on them when they hit the rivers!

coho6.jpg

A Solo shot lol :P

coho4.jpg

Heres a really fresh coho... he is now currently in my buddies smoker lol :P

steelhead1.jpg

nice little steelie...

steelhead4.jpg

my friends first steelhead! shoulda seen him lol hes hooked now lol

steelhead5.jpg

and another one of my buddies with a nice steelie... silver bullets

steelhead3.jpg

ok... one more for the smoker lol :P

so, so far this year looks like its gona be one for the books!

hope you enjoyed the pics!

Your buddies do drugs Matt.. or is it me... lol

Flashbacks to the shroom daze Wayne? It is you, for sure... always you. :lol:

Pikeieieieieieieieieeeeeeeeiiieeeieie..... you've grown up a fair bit since we started on these boards. You're not the "kid' I remember in old posts.

See you were using spawn but drift some jigs in natural colors or a baitfish mimic.

Shhhhh... ;) lol i tie my own and there deadly, coho candy lol.... ill be down there agian tonight see if i can get a few more!

i haven't been brave enough to venture down to the rapids...i'm not big on the salmon crowds.

nice fishies.

Can't understand why you aren't there all the time. When I was home I went before and after work many days. Only during the peak of the run salmon run is it rough on the weekends or after work.

At dawn or after the main salmon snag, the guys you encounter out there are better people to fish around than the beachballers at the hwy plaque.

I think you're afeerd of wading out and catching a big fish.

Im bringing my float stuff home at Christmas to show you what a nancy you are.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Im bringing my float stuff home at Christmas to show you what a nancy you are.

i'm the nancy?

k, when you get sick of catching 9 inch sauger you can come home, and be reminded of how the big boys fish.

bring teacher an apple though mmmkay?

obviously a large part of fishing for me is aesthetics, and sorry to say the rapids in the downtown sault don't compare to the tribs. i'll take my chances on early trib skunkings over downtown steel 9/10.

The rapids, though pleasntly scented by the paper mill, are a pretty cool place to fish. To me, out there on a winter day with no one else on the river it seems a lot more secluded than it is. The flow is constant, and I could turn off the computer at work and have my first drift 15mins later.

Learning how to catch in the rapids will make you much better at reading water. Turn some of those skunkings and maybe instead of catching shakers up north you can hit some better fish.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

on that note, i'm packing my stuff for another 'shaker taker' session tomorrow. :P

i'll get back down to the rapids when i get my new rod in. it's a little better suited for the task.