BPS OPen Results

bucktail

I fished this years past, but missed it this year. I hear it was a super tough fish and a really hard day on both the boats and bodies in them.

1 BARRY GRAVES JASON GOUGH 29

2 ROBERT FORMOSA JASON SALIBA 27.8

3 HOWARD GIFFORD MIKE GIFFORD 27.7

4 MIKE REID BRIAN GARDY 27.2

5 ERNY JANZEN ROB HYATT 27

6 DAVE KENNEDY BOB DEVINE 26.65

7 GERRY HEELS WIL WEGMAN 25.45

8 MARK CAVANAUGH MIKE GRAHAM 24.3

9 MARCEL CARTWRIGHT CARRIE CARTWRIGHT 23.1

10 CURTIS ARNDT JAY MCLURE 22.7

11 DAVID CHONG STEVE SPAGNOLO 22.45

12 KAL VAISANEN BILL WALKER 21.85

13 TOM COCHRANE BILL NICHOLLS 20.65

14 DAVE MACINNIS FRANK ADAMO 18.4

15 GREG KLATT GEORGE SCHNEIDER 17.8

16 TODD HATCH CHAD WENTZELL 17 6.55 SM & OA

17 JASON GODIN ANTHONY BURGESS 16.65

18 BARRY PRINGLE SUE WATSON 16.5 Hidden Weight

19 DEREK STRUB MIKE DESFORGES 15.6

20 JOHN VOYLES ROB WEBSTER 15.5

21 GARY O'NEIL JIM TEDESCO 14.4

22 MARK MORAN JOE MUSZYNSKI 13.8

23 JOHN MACDONALD STEVE HAWKINS 13.65

24 BYRON LEADER DON LEADER 12.95

25 GEORGE SALIBA DES BARNES 12.7

26 JAY HOTZAK RUSS WATKINS 11.95

27 JOHN PACITTO BRYAN CARVELLO 11.3

28 RON GAAL BRAD TAYLOR 11.3

29 GASPARE COSTABILE PETER SAVOIA 11.2

30 DOUG BROWNRIDGE JARROD DEAN 10.8

31 CHRIS HOCKLEY ROCKY CRAWFORD 9.7

32 PETER BARTONEK CESARE RUSCIO 9.25

33 MIKE KRAKANA DAVID DUCHARME 8.65

34 ROGER CRAIG PAUL CRAIG 8.25

35 ANDRE LANGDON RANDY DULUDE 6.7

36 MIKE WATSON JIM RODNEY 5.9 Rapala Prize

37 RICK TESSIER GARY MARCON 5.65

38 JIM VENIZELAKOS NICK TERPSELAS 5.45 2.15 LM

39 JIM ESTABROOKS MIKE JACKSON 5.3

40 DREW SCHILLER FRANK ROTUNDO 5.1

41 JOHN CHARTERS DALLAS CHARTERS 4.7

42 FRANK CLARK JACKIE CLARK 4.55

43 SIMON FROST MELANIE FROST 4.3

44 PATRICK CHOW EDMOND WONG 4

45 DOUG HARTLE SCOTT DINGWALL 2.45

46 RICK ELLSMERE CAREY NORMAN 1.95

47 DAVE MERCER J.P. DEROSE 0

48 TODD CURRIE ALEX CAMPBELL 0

49 GLENN THOMPSON BRUCE RODGERS 0

50 GORD ROGERS RYAN ROGERS 0

51 BARRY BENNETT LEN BEVAN 0

52 NEIL MACINNIS DAVE KEHOE 0

53 PETER BOTTING JASON PROTHERO 0

54 FAB MARCHESE BRUCE LEESON 0

55 MORGAN CIGNINI JOE FIGUEIRA 0

56 MICHAEL BROWN MARC MAURICIO 0

57 MAT HOLLAND SCOTT BONE 0

58 SCOTT MURISON PAUL HECKING 0

59 BOB IZUMI WAYNE IZUMI 0

60 BOB BOMMER TREVOR JACOBS 0

61 GARY MILLER STEVE MILLER 0

62 BERT BEEK RALPH BEEK 0

63 CRAIG DENHAM PETE GARNIER 0

64 KIRK SULLIVAN KEVIN SULLIVAN 0

65 CHRIS JANSON CHAD KEOGH 0

66 DARREN NEGRI DAN MASON 0

67 DAVE SPENCE MIKE ZWIER 0

68 MIKE BELL PETER DEMERJIAN 0

69 MARLEY HORNYAK IAN WEST 0

70 DON MCCAW PETE HILL 0

71 CARLO PUIATTI TOM TSATSKAS 0

72 DAVE BECKETT RON COVINGTON 0

73 BRIAN CURRY MARK DELEON 0

74 GREG PITCHER WAYNE GOULD 0

75 RYAN SUSANNA RYAN EOENBOROUGH 0

76 FLAVIO GOMES FRANK FIGULI 0

77 STEPHEN KING JAMES WYLIE 0

78 CHAD DOSMAN FORREST WEILER 0

79 MATT HUBBLE DAVE BAIRSTOW 0

80 HENRY WINTER CHRIS PRINSEP 0

81 DONALD SHELDRAKE CHRISTIAN ROMAS 0

82 CHRIS VOLDOCK MIKE AUGOT 0

83 DAVID STEWART CLAUDIO ABASCOL 0

84 JOHN WHYTE DON WILSON 0

85 GARY SANDERSON TRAVIS MCDONALD 0

86 MARK BENNETT ANDREW SHUFELT 0

87 JOHN SAVILLE RICHARD ASSINWAI 0

88 JOHN YANCOULIS FRANKLIN JANZEN 0

89 PAT WONG STEVE HASHIMOTO 0

90 JEFF ENGLISH ANDREW COPPOLA 0

91 MACKENZIE BUCHANAN JOHANNA WHITE 0

92 BILL CHAMBERS DON TULLY 0

93 BRUCE DISHER DAVE TOLTON 0

94 PHIL DEFOSSE RANDY CRONKWRIGHT 0

95 MATT BELZIL RICK BELZIL 0

96 KIM KWAN MIKE CORREA 0

97 GARY FRANKLIN HUMBERTO ARANCIBA 0

98 GARRY MANSHOLT JOEY MANSHOLT 0

99 BOB MAHONEY JOHN MCGOEY 0

100 ANTHONY BADHAM JEAN-CHARLES GOULET 0

Edited by Harrison

Shorelunch, too many variables, numbers on results do not tell the whole story.

1. boat could of broke down

2. too ROUGH to get to their water (this time of year fish are sparsely placed, take a week to find one quality pod of them to win)

3. small amount of weight, didn't weigh in.

4. super tough fishing

5. plain ole badluck

Good call Roy. but we are talking about JP :D

I wager becasue Mercer was hosting and JP was fizzing they got in early if they didn't have a big bag.

But, atleast they tried.

Edited by Harrison

Oh no, we fished! Ran the rough which really wasn't that bad of a ride... thank God Dave can drive a boat! Took us an hour to get to our first spot... the fish were there but not cooperating at all... stayed on it for a little over an hour without even a sniff!

Moved to our second spot that had 5 other boats on it and only 3 fish were caught out of the six boats there... marking lots but super tight lipped... checked out two more spots, marked very little on the next one and had a pile of fish on the last spot.. had two bites there and both Dave and I rolled over the fish on the hook set but never got them to the boat! That's fishing Simcoe in the fall... you can catch 25 or 0 and it's one of the only lakes like that!

The team that won only had 7 bites and landed every one..another team only had 5 but weighed in over 27 lbs... I don't know of any team that was on the big fish that had double digit fish caught. If you wanted to catch a bunch but have no shot at winning then there were areas for that but what's the fun if you're not going for the win which means you need better than 28 lbs! Dave and I agreed to stay on our big fish spots knowing full well that we could come up with nothing... and did! Last year we had big fish on a spot the day before the event and on the day of they changed from 4's, 5's and 6's to under 2 lb fish! Smallmouth move, they shut down and they don't handle pressure very well, especially come event day! Rotten fish! :w00t:

Some of the lake's best anglers had really tough days and it shows from the results... when the weather is that rough and you only have 7 hours in the day and you use up two of them running there and back you really feel the pressure knowing you don't have much time left... you have to hand it to Barry and Jason as well as the other top 10 teams that landed everything they got.

Roy, I wish I were that smart to stay safe but unfortunately our competitive nature and experience with big water makes it more of a challenge for us. I once ran 16 miles to a spot in a Lake Erie tournament in legit 10 footers and by the time we hit Point Abino they were 12's. We totally submerged on one wave when it folded over us and filled the boat to the top of the gunnels and just started up the motor, pumped out the boat and kept going... it really is amazing what a bass boat is capable of if you know how to handle them and the water.

What an amazing event it really was fishing the Bass Pro Shops Lake Simcoe Open.. I have to hand it to George Wallace from BPS, Andy and Vita along with their crew from the CSFL and the Aurora Bassmasters along with their volunteers and those from the CBAF who made sure that all aspects of the event ran smoothly and professionally. We are really looking forward to another shot at it next year!

JP

I'm sure that alot of guys throw their fish back before weigh-in if they know they're not in the running for money.

Like if you have a 15lb bag on Simcoe, you aren't cashing a cheque, so throw them back and skip the line for weigh-in.

Some pretty heavy hitters in that tourney, and still some really impressive weights brought in.

Way to go Barry and Jason, good job guys!

Darcy

I'm sure that alot of guys throw their fish back before weigh-in if they know they're not in the running for money.

Like if you have a 15lb bag on Simcoe, you aren't cashing a cheque, so throw them back and skip the line for weigh-in.

I believe even if you had one fish,they wanted you to bring it in for the scaling and testing of the fish.

That would be the only reason to bring in the lower wieghts.

Am I wrong here JP?

Well it sure makes me feel better about not boating a pile of bass on the weekend...only stumbled across 2, that were 30 feet down, and scrawny :(

Thanks for the cool feedback, JPD, and congrats to the Cartwrights!! 9th place!! :w00t: well done!

HOLD the phone!!! I just watched Dave's daily video blog (as posted here on OFC)...he has footage from the tournament...JP, you didn't tell us about your little slip-up getting into the boat :lol::lol: I can see why Dave hasn't posted on this thread...he pretty much summed it all up on the video :P

That was a classic moment for sure... I am typically very sure footed as I fish on the front deck of my boat in 4 and 5 footers with no seat or pro pole but that morning was a bit different... as Dave described it "I was log rolling" for a bit before I came crashing down.

Note to self... never step onto a wet wrap when boarding the boat... lucky for me I am fairly used to taking bodily abuse after years of playing football and it sounded a lot worse than it felt when I came crashing down face first onto Dave's front deck... the best part is that I was up in a flash and never even dropped my smoke! :w00t:

That was a classic moment for sure... I am typically very sure footed as I fish on the front deck of my boat in 4 and 5 footers with no seat or pro pole but that morning was a bit different... as Dave described it "I was log rolling" for a bit before I came crashing down.

Note to self... never step onto a wet wrap when boarding the boat... lucky for me I am fairly used to taking bodily abuse after years of playing football and it sounded a lot worse than it felt when I came crashing down face first onto Dave's front deck... the best part is that I was up in a flash and never even dropped my smoke! :w00t:

\

Fishing was extremely tough for everyone im sure,and i honestly believe there was over 50 goose eggs.I think guys would be crazy for dumping 2 or 3 fish. We only had 3 fish weighing 17lbs which was good for a 16th spot paycheck and big fish at 6.55.We had a great time considering all the bad weather and tough fishing.This tournament was a class act and urge others to think about fishing next year.

chad

\

Fishing was extremely tough for everyone im sure,and i honestly believe there was over 50 goose eggs.I think guys would be crazy for dumping 2 or 3 fish. We only had 3 fish weighing 17lbs which was good for a 16th spot paycheck and big fish at 6.55.We had a great time considering all the bad weather and tough fishing.This tournament was a class act and urge others to think about fishing next year.

chad

Chad congrats on the big fish award. It must have been tough hearing about the big bags that were coming to the scales.

Roy when there is $25K on the line most guys will not hold back.

We fished 1 spot knowing that running anywhere else would just eat up time. Fortunately we had 7 bites and landed them all. Last yr we had 6 bites and only boated 4 -22lbs and we did not want to repeat that performance.

Great job by all volunteers, CSFL, Dave Mercer emceeing and Melanie Frost on the fizzing.

Chad congrats on the big fish award. It must have been tough hearing about the big bags that were coming to the scales.

Roy when there is $25K on the line most guys will not hold back.

We fished 1 spot knowing that running anywhere else would just eat up time. Fortunately we had 7 bites and landed them all. Last yr we had 6 bites and only boated 4 -22lbs and we did not want to repeat that performance.

Great job by all volunteers, CSFL, Dave Mercer emceeing and Melanie Frost on the fizzing.

thanks bob and it was nice meeting you. well done on your 6th place finish as well.

chad

Thanks Brian and Johnnyb for the congrats!! It was finally nice to figure those smallies out for once. It's frustrating having zeroed in the two prior Opens. All the zeroes this year wasn't from lack of effort by all the other competitors. Like JP mentioned on Simcoe you can either catch 25lbs or zero on any given day.

Our day started out great with the wife catching two within the first half hour.We had our limit by 10:15 and felt good about how our day was turning out. At 10:30 we knew we had to make a move to upgrade our weight if we wanted to have any chance at winning so we moved to our second spot. On our first drift the wife hooked into a 6lber. Second drift I hooked a 5 and things were looking good. AWESOME! then everything shut down for the next couple hours. Time was running out so we moved back to our first spot and with 15 minutes left I hooked another quality fish to cull out a smaller fish.

We managed 8 bites and landed all and even a 7lb pike too.

Kudos to all the sponsors of this event and volunteers. Without their help this event wouldn't be as successful. Thanks to everyone involved.. Marcel and Carrie Cartwright

Edited by mart