Fleming Work(Pictures added)

MCTFisher9120

For my "reading" week I'll still be up here in Lindsay. I got into contact with the Fleming Hatchery and it turns out this week we will be taking part alongside the MNR with the release of approx. 22'000 Atlantic Salmon. From what I know it will be in the Cobourg area but I'm not 100% sure at the moment.

Got my self all dressed up and I'm looking to be adding many pictures towards the end of the week. Also, I'll keep my eye out for what Television stations will be visiting us on our visits out there.

Have a great week everybody, I am soo excited and grateful to be taking part in this event.

Tight lines,

MTBF

Edit*

Ok, so I have now added the pictures below, have a look. Have done 4 runs so far, doing 2 more tomorrow out to the location. Out Fall fingerlings are between 10-30isg grams a piece so really nice sized fish2"-4.5")

The Hatchery

ScreenHunter_01Oct281419.jpg

Lifting those buckets full of water and fish

ScreenHunter_05Oct281420.jpg

ScreenHunter_06Oct281421.jpg

New home

ScreenHunter_08Oct281422.jpg

Group Shot

ScreenHunter_09Oct281422.jpg

The Setup

ScreenHunter_11Oct281423.jpg

The first time out is the best, Steve and I get to do the releasing

ScreenHunter_29Oct281429.jpg

(btw other guy was doing underwater filming)

Me!

ScreenHunter_15Oct281424.jpg

wow

ScreenHunter_20Oct281425.jpg

There I go

ScreenHunter_23Oct281427.jpg

Another group shot

ScreenHunter_26Oct281428.jpg

And two more

ScreenHunter_27Oct281428.jpg

ScreenHunter_28Oct281429.jpg

We are still going out tomorrow but there will be no more pictures.

Different kind of report but I like it, good luck fella's!

MTBF B)

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

Should do it at night so the commorrants don't find them as easily.........like they did the odd time over here along Lake Huron hatcheries......release thousands of trout and salmon in the morning and watch those things come on over and eat them all by evening.........

Now are you sure there Atlantics and not browns!! LOL

Are they all going to Shelter Valley and the Ganny I assume?

Ive heard somewhere else, but I want to check if its for real before I say anything...

If it is true its an interesting choice...

nice line of work there Mike, buddy, pal, friend.... :)

Did you get a bunch of PM's on the location yet?

I hope the return rate is better there than what it has been elsewhere in Ontario.

what, you mean that they didn't return like many hoped... :wallbash::stretcher:

I really really really hope this program works....I do.

But, i dunno.

*edit

Im not trying to bash ya here Mike, its great that you're getting involved and its more than I am doing! I hope I'm wrong, I would REALLY love to tangle with one of those little beauties when they get bigger!

Edited by kemper

what, you mean that they didn't return like many hoped... :wallbash::stretcher:

I really really really hope this program works....I do.

But, i dunno.

*edit

Im not trying to bash ya here Mike, its great that you're getting involved and its more than I am doing! I hope I'm wrong, I would REALLY love to tangle with one of those little beauties when they get bigger!

What was the "bash"/ question lol?

If if any of you were bashing, bash me all you want. I loved what I was doing and took gratitude towards Chris and Russ. Those guys really achieved something there, Atlantic's are tricky to create from what I heard.

O and it's not the Granny. A smaller inland river in the Cobourg area

Well done Mike...Good stuff for getting out there :thumbsup_anim:

If if any of you were bashing, bash me all you want. I loved what I was doing and took gratitude towards Chris and Russ. Those guys really achieved something there, Atlantic's are tricky to create from what I heard.

O and it's not the Granny. A smaller inland river in the Cobourg area

What Kemper is referring to is the fact that Atlantics have been stocked into Lake O creeks since the 80’s without any noticeable returns. Probable causes to the lack of returns and a self sustaining population of Atlantics in Lake O include: Thiamine deficiencies due to the smelt and alewife they eat out in Lake O (it screws up their ability to reproduce). Competition from juvenile rainbow trout while they’re still in streams is another factor. There’s some thinking that the redds spawning Atlantics dig to lay their eggs are sensitive to sediment and silt (Ironically they were stocked in rivers known as ‘dirty Duffins’) and the success of the eggs surviving is low.

Edited by MJL

Maybe the Atlantics are just smarter than the rest and don't come back to the rivers to be snagged during spawn !!

Great stuff Mike... good to see a young lad participating in this and not spending the week doing what most of the students were...

Oh... you did that too, well that's all right ! :D

Good on ya Mike.

In my eyes, there is nothing more gratifying than putting something back into what someone has a passion for. Ironically lots of people have a negative opinion on the Atlantic Salmon program. The sad part of it is, most of them are avid fishermen/women and do squat for ways to improve the fishery. What I don't understand, people harp and whine about what a waste of money. I always ask them, "what did it cost you?" They don't have an answer because it didn't cost them a dime. It didn't cost them a dime for the amount of volunteer hours spent to improve the stream sides. It didn't cost them a dime for the amount of volunteer hours spent raising awareness in the high schools where students took on a handful of fry to raise as fingerlings and then to release them into the streams. It didn't cost them a dime for having volunteers organize a "clean up day".

It didn't cost them a dime to have volunteers improve the structure on the river and stream beds.

It didn't cost them a dime to have volunteers stock these native species in the water sheds. In fact, the people who hope this stocking program fails should know it didn't cost them a dime to improve the over all fisheries of native, naturalized and introduced species.

The Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project was funded in large part by Banrock Station Winery, OFAH and the LCBO. Here is a web site for those of you who think this is a waste of time. http://www.bringbackthesalmon.ca/

Mind you, how can it be a waste of time if it's not your dime?

Thanks Ron. It was great to get in with those guys and I am hoping to be out there for every event. Last year only the 2 bosses did it because there were no volunteers :o I am shocked that with so many fishermen at our school nobody was there at times.

I'm in for good like I told Chris, if a tank needs to be cleaned or the floors in there whatever. Anything to give those guys a break I'll be there to help out.

If you have released Ron then you know how it feels,

Mike

It was Durham Region Anglers Assoc. and Bowmanville Creek Anglers Assoc. that got the Atlantic Program started. We had a meeting with Ministry of Natural Resource Newman in his office about Salmon stocking.

Atlantics are a heritage species and we got browns stocked in small numbers in Oshawa Creek,Bowmanville Creek and a couple locations out east when we were there.

There was a MNR policy to not stock Chinook east of the Rouge, we but 7&8 clubs in a room developed a plan that included research materiel, coverage in local news papers, additional press releases and had that policy dropped.

The MNR took a bus trip fact finding trip to New England, New Hampshire and New Brunswick to strat off the Atlantic program. I believe the only person that read all the study's and reports was me.

One thing I remember is that the Atlantic in prints to the creek and the location in the creek so any stock stocking should be in smaller #'s in every hole.

And the most damming thing is they are suckers for flashy spoons and spinners, with our charter boats they don't stand a chance.

I really haven't seen any stream work directly focused on the Atlantic program so the money is being wasted.

Garnet

Good on ya Mike.

In my eyes, there is nothing more gratifying than putting something back into what someone has a passion for. Ironically lots of people have a negative opinion on the Atlantic Salmon program. The sad part of it is, most of them are avid fishermen/women and do squat for ways to improve the fishery. What I don't understand, people harp and whine about what a waste of money. I always ask them, "what did it cost you?" They don't have an answer because it didn't cost them a dime. It didn't cost them a dime for the amount of volunteer hours spent to improve the stream sides. It didn't cost them a dime for the amount of volunteer hours spent raising awareness in the high schools where students took on a handful of fry to raise as fingerlings and then to release them into the streams. It didn't cost them a dime for having volunteers organize a "clean up day".

It didn't cost them a dime to have volunteers improve the structure on the river and stream beds.

It didn't cost them a dime to have volunteers stock these native species in the water sheds. In fact, the people who hope this stocking program fails should know it didn't cost them a dime to improve the over all fisheries of native, naturalized and introduced species.

The Atlantic Salmon Restoration Project was funded in large part by Banrock Station Winery, OFAH and the LCBO. Here is a web site for those of you who think this is a waste of time. http://www.bringbackthesalmon.ca/

Mind you, how can it be a waste of time if it's not your dime?

Sadly you seem to leave out the MNR and Conservation Authorities who are 100% funded by my dime. I don't totally disagree with what your saying but lets get all the facts correct.