Next Camera suggestions

bigfish1965

I am looking at 3 different cameras. All Canons.

The SX20IS, G5 or a used Rebel.

I have an S5 and S3

The price would be about the same except obviously the Rebel would require more additional stuff to buy.

Suggestions??

I have software allowing the S3 and S5 to shoot in RAW and imagine I can find it for the S20 as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of options to buy the additional stuff you'll need/want especially with Cannon. I've been looking on ebay and elsewhere to take advantage of the dollar being up versus the greenback (A strong dollar is not all good, but there are some advantages). I was able to buy a new, brand name flash online from a Canadian seller, paid taxes and all and saved over $300 from what the other retail store had it listed at. Less than 48 hours after buying it, on a Sunday, it was at my front door. Me happy.

Ok, I was heavy into nature photography back in the film days with all the accessories, now I use a Canon S3. My advice would be to get the SX20IS, which I am also considering. First, to get the DSLR capability close to what the SX20IS will do on its lonesome, you are going to have to drop some serious coin far in excess of what the camera costs you, also you will have to lug it all around to get the same versatility. Also the SX20IS uses simple AA cells available at any retail outlet in a emergency. Sure a Canon 600mm f4 IS lens will take a higher quality picture but it is almost the price of a new compact car.

Canon G10.

The 11 is out as well.

I had a Rebel with all the fixings (Lenses, external flash, etc.), but with 2 little ones (2 and under), I found it impossible to devote myself to the SLR Hobby.

I sold the package and bought the G10. Never looking back...

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i own an fz50 lumix dslr. it was the by far the best deal on a digiSLR at the time. if i were to pick a camera now however, it would either be the rebel or a nikon.