Sub Zero and Ice Cube

Jonny

dud I gotta be honest....a few people suggested the Ice Cube huts to me when I was asking about building one, and here's my experience with this style of hut.

I only used one ONCE last year with BBR from OFC...

A) It was what felt like 50 below and windy that day. Putting up the hut was a chore and a half because of the wind

B) We Froze our hands off putting it up, because we couldn't get it up with our mits on. (poles zipper etc.)

c) Everything was wet all around us once it was set up because there's no floor.

d) Once it's set up it isn't moveable unless you want to take out the anchors and carry the damn thing around.

I swore that day I'd never buy this style of hut.

Just my opinion - some people love'em

good luck.

Buy a Clam 2000 Ice hut, it's nice to have a floor... I've had one for 3 years, and love it. BPS had them for $179.99 last time I was there.

I looked it up. It looks OK, and nice to have a built-in floor, but it's a bit small for two people plus a heater. It's only 4 x 6.

dud I gotta be honest....a few people suggested the Ice Cube huts to me when I was asking about building one, and here's my experience with this style of hut... I swore that day I'd never buy this style of hut.

I don't know what other options you'd have with a portable. If you want at least a 6 x 6 size, and portability, is there anything else out there worth looking at?

So far, I think it's either one of those, or the round-top collapsible home-built that's in one of the other threads here.

Edited by Jocko

I looked it up. It looks OK, and nice to have a built-in floor, but it's a bit small for two people plus a heater. It's only 4 x 6.

I always Ice fish with another person, and the Clam 2000 has enough room for 2 big dudes, plus all your gear - a heater, bait bucket, Aqua-view/Lowrance, beer, tackle ect.. It has enough room for your needs for the day….. It sets up super fast and traps heat quite nicely, and the zippers are quite durable too. Believe me, you'll want to have a floor to keep your gear and feet from getting wet.

The key is to actually see one in person already set-up, if you can make it to BPS they have a ton of portable huts set-up as they have most of their ice fishing gear out already, it’ll be worth your while.

I always Ice fish with another person, and the Clam 2000 has enough room for 2 big dudes, plus all your gear - a heater

You certainly make a good case for the Clam. What kind of heater do you have?

My heater is the one I use in my 6 x 8 regular ice hut - the circular kind (about the size of a pie plate) that mounts on a 20 lb propane tank. I'm afraid that would be too large for any portable, let alone one that is 4 x 6, but at 6 x 6 I'm thinking I just might have enough room to get it out of the way. It's easy to burn yourself on, even on low setting! :D

I bought a Clam 5600 last year (bigger version of the 2000). Way too heavy and impossible to pull by hand with anything more then 2" of snow. After two frustrating outings I sold it and bought an Ice Cube. Way lighter and more portable. I bought a separate sled and pulled it out that way. Much roomier than a 2000 or 5600.

Yes, it can be a challenge setting up in the wind but with two it's no problem. Without 40km winds it will setup in 30 seconds by one person. Taking down takes me about 4 minutes.

I did have one day where the side flaps froze to the ice but that's more a function of the weather. Same can happen on flip over portables that have the same flaps. Just be careful to use dry snow and keep water away. Worst case use a portable heater to melt them loose.

One issue is securing the ice anchors. In clear ice it can be difficult getting the screws started. A drill would help or just be patient and push very hard while turning.

There's a reason why Clam, Eskimo and all the established portable hut makers are now offering the cube style huts. THEY'RE POPULAR AND RELATIVELY CHEAP!!!

I also have a Schappel Rover 1.5DX. Great one person (2 in a pinch) flipover style hut. However I'm intrigued by the new giant 2 man Denali huts by Clam.

Edited by rover1.5dx

Some great detail there, Rover.

Posts like yours and many others here (first-hand stuff) are always informative... exactly the kind of stuff that leads to a more informed choice.

Once you buy, it's hard to undo. And not having fished in a portable hut, I don't know much about them.

You certainly make a good case for the Clam. What kind of heater do you have?

My heater is the one I use in my 6 x 8 regular ice hut - the circular kind (about the size of a pie plate) that mounts on a 20 lb propane tank. I'm afraid that would be too large for any portable, let alone one that is 4 x 6, but at 6 x 6 I'm thinking I just might have enough room to get it out of the way. It's easy to burn yourself on, even on low setting! :D

I use a Mr Heater Buddy (1lb canister size) fits nicely between 2 people in there. The Difference between the Clam 2000 and and the Clam 5600 is about 30lb, so you can see why it is harder to pull on the ice. You also have to remember that ice fishing companies will sell anything to make a buck since they know we are suckers for the latest greatest trend. B)

I have a Clam 2000 as well and it is plenty room enough for 2 big men. The price at Labarons this year is 350.00 Last years price was 299.00.

Wow, Chanco said he got one for $179. Big price difference!

I have the Eskimo Quikflip II and the Ice Cube. Both are good in their own ways. The flip style portable hut is better designed and construction. The tent is cheap and gets you out of the wind. The tent fits into any car and the Eskimo requires a van or truck. Depends mostly on your budget and your vehicle. And shop it around til you're redy, you have time before the hard stuff is redy. B)

I have the same hut as the Clam 2000 from Fabrill and I'll echo that it has ample room for two guys. I use two fold up chairs, i have room for my big BPS waterproof bag in-between, and my backpack I throw in the space beside my chair and the door. Still plenty of room to pile stuff on top in the middle such as jackets, rods/rod bag and on the other side of the second seat and under each seat.

I have a fold up stool that i place in-between the holes for my fish finder to elevate it up for viewing and to clear the heater which i place in front. I now use a Coleman Blackcat, but a Mr. Buddy will fit nicely as well, which you can attach to your 20lb tank with a hose and keep the tank outside. Only issue I foresee is that it radiates straight out horizontally and may not spread head efficiently. The Coleman can tilt up on an angle, which is why I got it. You are right that it will be tight and a burning hazard to try and fit a 20lb tank inside, so if you go with this style hut you may want to consider the heaters I mentioned or a sunflower one that is portable with legs that you can attach to a hose.

I drill two holes on my side: one for the transducer and one to fish. On the other side you can drill just one hole and use the extra space for a heater as well. I use that free space for my butane stove to cook.

Edited by Jet

I have the same hut as the Clam 2000 from Fabrill and I'll echo that it has ample room for two guys. I use two fold up chairs, i have room for my big BPS waterproof bag in-between, and my backpack I throw in the space beside my chair and the door. Still plenty of room to pile stuff on top in the middle such as jackets, rods/rod bag and on the other side of the second seat and under each seat.

I have a fold up stool that i place in-between the holes for my fish finder to elevate it up for viewing and to clear the heater which i place in front. I now use a Coleman Blackcat, but a Mr. Buddy will fit nicely as well, which you can attach to your 20lb tank with a hose and keep the tank outside. Only issue I foresee is that it radiates straight out horizontally and may not spread head efficiently. The Coleman can tilt up on an angle, which is why I got it. You are right that it will be tight and a burning hazard to try and fit a 20lb tank inside, so if you go with this style hut you may want to consider the heaters I mentioned or a sunflower one that is portable with legs that you can attach to a hose.

I drill two holes on my side: one for the transducer and one to fish. On the other side you can drill just one hole and use the extra space for a heater as well. I use that free space for my butane stove to cook.

I have the 2 person model of the Sub Zero hut and use a sunflower on a 5# tank as it's much more compact.

I don't even bust out the heater, or hut for that matter until it is below -20. :D

I have the same hut as the Clam 2000 from Fabrill and I'll echo that it has ample room for two guys...

Thanks for the detail. It's always good to know what other guys do to get comfortable.

I don't even bust out the heater, or hut for that matter until it is below -20. :D

I find that it's the wind that's a killer. I prefer to have shelter even on a minus 5 day if it's windy. Used to be we would at least put up a tarp as a windbreak.

i rented a clam 2000 once and would never rent 1 again...

not enough room for 2 people (it was me and the GF - I'm huge, she's tiny)

need chairs for a clam... it's a pain to pull with all the gear on top of it... ok on glare ice, but anything else and you'll be picking gear up constantly

i've got a clam fish trap pro and a 4 man eastman ice cube...

the cube is awesome... comes with a back pack sack, very comfortable... you'll still need a sled for your gear though...

IMG_2627Large.jpg

you can see the hut on my back here... it's comfortable enough to fish with it or scout with it without taking it off

only drawback is getting the anchors in, easily fixed with a cordless drill though...