Making a Wooden Spook - Video

Leecher

Here's a step by step video on how to make your own wooden spook for those that are interested. It's kind of hard to shoot footage by yourself and narrate it but I think I did OK..... you be the judge :lol:

I tried to keep it as short as possible but unfortunately the video got over 100MB in size..... Not much I can do about that ;)

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

Here's another link if it doesn't work

th_WoodenSpook-VideoMakingPartII.jpg

Edited by Leechman

Good job.

I know the hand workmenship is what it,s all about,but a lathe,belt sander would be quicker.LOL

I was clicking on the top play arrow.

Thanks Brian!!! Yes there are better tools out there to speed up the process but I don't own any of it.... so I have to build with what I have :P

First time posting an embedded video and the bottom left play button is the only one working for me!!!

Jacques

That's really awesome. I'm going to try something like that for sure. There are a couple of things about your spook that differs from the original though. Trying to incorporate them might really improve performance. First of all, the eyelet on the original is not actually located at the tip of the nose. It is offset a few millimeters and actually points off at about a 45 degree angle. Secondly the original spook is weighted near the tail end, usually incorporating a rattle. Lastly, and this would be the hardest thing to accomplish, the original is actually tapered slightly from head to tail. The good folks at Heddon probably wouldn't have bothered with those details if they didn't make a difference.

Nice work...let us know how you make out on the water.

Here's a close-up look at how the eyelet is attached on the original. As you can see, it doesn't extend straight out from the nose but points down a little.

IMG_1640.JPG

You seem to have things figured out pretty good...you obviously don't need my advice. Have fun and good luck.

Hey Leechman,

You are so creative with your lures and they look great! Too I don't have that kind of patience. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mojobass!!! It certainly require some type of patience for making them lures..... just got to take it one step at a time

That's really awesome. I'm going to try something like that for sure. There are a couple of things about your spook that differs from the original though. Trying to incorporate them might really improve performance. First of all, the eyelet on the original is not actually located at the tip of the nose. It is offset a few millimeters and actually points off at about a 45 degree angle. Secondly the original spook is weighted near the tail end, usually incorporating a rattle. Lastly, and this would be the hardest thing to accomplish, the original is actually tapered slightly from head to tail. The good folks at Heddon probably wouldn't have bothered with those details if they didn't make a difference.

Nice work...let us know how you make out on the water.

Thanks Fishnwire!!! Those are good points you bring forward comparing my version and the original.... I don't own an original, only seen it a couple of times..... that is what I remember seeing. I could always split the piece in half and using my router table, create a pocket in the middle and insert ball bearings to get the rattle noise and then glue it together.

Won't have much time testing it cause deer season is upon us up here and next Saturday is opening day.... but next softwater season will give it a try for sure.

What kind of wood? Do you use some kind of primer on the bare wood?

It's white pine and don't use any primer other than white water based paint on the first coat. Then add color and a couple of coats of varnish to seal it.

Ever thought of starting with a dowel Leechman!

Sorry... I couldn't resist!

...now can you get one here by morning so I can try it out??

Some great work there fella!

Thanks Wayne!!! Yes a dowel would cut down on the sanding time for sure. I'm using the cutouts of the tipups I made last year.... I just could not let them go to waste ;)

Shoot me a PM with your home address and I would be more then happy to send you one..... but I don't think it would get there that fast LOL You could always take off in your plane and land in Gatineau airport if you want ;):lol:

But I wouldn't recommend it today.... winds are from the west at 28km/h :w00t:

Here's a close-up look at how the eyelet is attached on the original. As you can see, it doesn't extend straight out from the nose but points down a little.

IMG_1640.JPG

You seem to have things figured out pretty good...you obviously don't need my advice. Have fun and good luck.

Thanks again Fishnwire!!! Yes I see it now.... maybe the next batch :P

That was great Jacques!!!

Don't listen to Brian and Wayne, lathes and dowel are for old weak men and sissies!!!

Your lures show a great deal of craftmanship!... you should've been a carpenter!!!

Thanks Glen!!! Hope you get your Christmas gift before I leave for deer hunting!!!

Great video Jacques,

I would be inspired to do something similar, however....lol....i spend too much time fishing!

By the way...you sound australian...lol...just kidding...i get that all the time.

Thanks for putting that together.

Thanks Simon!!! Yes I know I talk funny in front of the camera LOL but I'm a Quebec pure bread with some inglaise speaking :lol:

Both of y'all talk funny!!! ;) ... I sure am glad I don't talk funny! B)

What you talking about <_<:lol:

I may make a few myself. Some really big ones for pike and some really small ones for brook trout. I think I will drill a hole from one end to the other and pass a strong wire from the eye to the rear hook. Maybe even make another hole so that I can pass the wire through a wire loop for the belly hook and then fill up the holes with epoxy.

I may make a few myself. Some really big ones for pike and some really small ones for brook trout. I think I will drill a hole from one end to the other and pass a strong wire from the eye to the rear hook. Maybe even make another hole so that I can pass the wire through a wire loop for the belly hook and then fill up the holes with epoxy.

Never tried the wire method before and sounds like a good idea..... Good luck with your project Dabluz :thumbsup_anim:

Please post your results when you make some... I'd like to see them!!!