snowmobiles!

pike slayer

thankya Dan. Sometimes this forum just won't accept a picture from me. Something about scripted tags..beats me. I do the same thing a few hours later and it works just fine

It's because you're Canadian! :canadian:

Here's a shot from inside my snowmobile on the 29th of December of last year!

12-29-08005.jpg

Edited by GCD

its a 2003 polaris rmk 700. 144"x2" paddle track. Lets see your machines!!

Thats a sick sled man! Hate to have to take her out on simcoe when theres no snow on the ice though!

Heres my machine picked her up last night courtesy of the good old supershopper!

sled.jpg

1990 Polaris indy trail $900 in pretty good shape, will be giving her a going over this week. Those whitefish and lakers and going to have a tuff time running this year! :)

I haven't had any sleds for years but this thread is bringing back great memories. I put myself thru university working in a Skidoo shop, then after my university years worked for the eastern Cdn distributor of Rupp products. Those were great years. I got to ride some very cool (and fast) sleds and didn't have to pay a penny for 'em. The fastest stockers were probably the Rupp F/A's from the winter of '75. My last ride was the day I exploded the track showing a local Skidoo F/A rider that his sled was in fact NOT the fastest thing ever to run on snow. Fortunately he had already conceded defeat when the track let go. Dunno how fast I was going at the time but it was an exciting ride at the end. It looked something like this. I had to find pics on the 'net as I have nothing at all in my own photo collection.

1975FA.gif

The sled I really coveted was Gene Bloom's factory Mod 440. Saw him race up at Ironwood Mi. and smoke the other factory guys driving bigger sleds (Cat, Polaris, Motoski, Blizzard, SnoJet etc) and he did it with a high mounted engine against the new low front mounted angled engines.

I think though that the best thing Rupp produced for trail guys had to be the Nitro II sleds. They were very fast for F/C sleds but considering that they were the same engine as the SnoTwisters of the day it stands to reason. We ran them pretty competitively against F/A's back in those days with only a minimum of cheating involved, but then the F/A guys were no doubt cheating too. Again a borrowed pic

2226907041_10360c4ff4.jpg.

All this talk about hard water sledding got me thinking about the good old days when we occasionally ran the sleds on soft water, sometimes not very far, but it was fun. There used to even be competitions for distance. I never did that. It had to be very hard on the sleds to get dunked hot. There was a guy up in northern Ontario who was pretty well known for it, I think his name was Frenchy Cloutier, from Timmins.

And speaking of racing, do any of you from the French River area know any old racers by the name of Haas? They were fun to watch. They'd show up at OSRF races in a converted school bus with a wood burning stove inside. Seems to me they were Blizzard riders in those days.

JF

Edited by JohnF

heres my 2009 yamaha nytro xtx 144

940.jpg

heres the 2010 summit x 154 800r

IMGP1438.jpg

IMGP1441.jpg

i changed back to 2 stroke because i do mostly off trail riding in the back country woods here in quebec and that 4 stroke is way too heavy when you get stuck! first ride for me is november 20th, cant wait :D !

AWESOME SLEDS GUYS....I"M GREEN WITH ENVY HERE. ONE DAY I MIGHT GET ONE OF THOSE YAMAHA VENTURES TOO...ONE DAY :huh:

Anyway...here's my ride....a bit heavy for where i go, but goes like a rocket...which is handy when trying not to get stuck in the slush...lol.

XLT 600 TOURING

IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2626.jpg

heres my 2009 yamaha nytro xtx 144

940.jpg

heres the 2010 summit x 154 800r

IMGP1438.jpg

IMGP1441.jpg

i changed back to 2 stroke because i do mostly off trail riding in the back country woods here in quebec and that 4 stroke is way too heavy when you get stuck! first ride for me is november 20th, cant wait :D !

The Skidoo loooks like some kinda Transformer. :D

Back in the day the Chapparal was the coolest looking unit, for a while anyway. My personal fave for looking tough was probably the Kalamazoo sleds or the Thunderjets even if they were death machines.

JF