Fast flow trout fishing - what's the best technique?

jat

I would like to ask how you guys would tackle a fast moving river with regard to setup and techniques for fall rainbow. The last one I tried almost made it impossible to keep the float from blasting downstream and having the bait nowhere near the bottom while dragging behind the float it. I was fishing the edge of the fast water as well but if there's too much weight I would get hung up on the rocks which are everywhere. Thanks for any tips.

Big float (9.0g or more) and bulk shot the hell out of it right above the leader... You need to get it down and keep it down. Also, don't cast upstream, you'll have way better control of the setup if you cast horizontally or slightly down stream from your standing position. I don't start trotting until the float is out of the fast water and into the seam (I keep pressure on it and swing it across). This way you know the bait is downstream when the drift starts...

Lots of shot, lots of trotting, and hold on.

I wasted HOURS the other day with a rig that was only slightly wrong. Buddy if mine gave me a couple of tips and what do you know, 3 drifts later I'm into one..

That's the thing with these river trout...I know I'm close...but I also know that being off by just a bit is killing me. Can I ask how you'd define the term "trotting", Bill? I assume that's feeding a little more line out to keep the drift going?

That's the thing with these river trout...I know I'm close...but I also know that being off by just a bit is killing me. Can I ask how you'd define the term "trotting", Bill? I assume that's feeding a little more line out to keep the drift going?

trotting is when you slow down your drift, so opposite to feeding more lines out.

when trotting is done properly, your float should tilt at an upright/diagonal angle.

cool...thanks :) So you impede it enough to keep it down where you want it, but not so much that it floats up to the surface.

The whole point of trotting is to slow the float down so that the bait is downstream of the float during the drift. The surface water is always moving faster then the water near the bottom of the river (this is where you bait is).. The last thing you want is the float pulling your bait downstream.. You'll snag up way more and it's not a very natural presentation...

This is where the shot pattern is also important.. I usually bulk shot right beneath the float in order to c.o.c.k it, then bulk shot near the leader and maybe even some dust shot on the leader itself, depending on how much flow there is.. I like to then stagger shot from the leader up towards the float with big spaces between the shot the closer I get to the float...

hook----------dust shot----dust shot------swivel-SSSSS--s--s---s----s----s------s------s------s--------------s--------------s-----------ssss-Float.

This is a setup similar to what I used the other day in a fast flow.

Bill, do you put enough shot so that the float is just barely visible or should the float sit higher up?

In fast water I like the float to sit up a bit more just because all the waves will usually pull it down a bit if I have to much shot on..

A buddy of mine puts hardly any shot beneath his float at all, it almost lays on the surface... He catches a tonne of fish :) I think he was up on me about 4x at least last week on me, lol.

In a situation that you describe, I would go weightless and floatless. Use fine clear mono and let the bait drift where the current takes it. Invariably, the bait will do exactly what natural bait will do and end up right in the rainbow's face. Cast far upstream in order to let the bait approach bottom. I'm sure that you can rig up the bait so that the point of the hook does not protude too much and catch on bottom. You will feel the bite when you start to lift your rod tip. One thing for sure, the fish will not spit out the bait so even if you strike well after the fish has the bait in his mouth....it will still be in his mouth.

Use the longest rod you can find. Even a 9 foot fly rod will do.

If you plan on bottom bouncing, don't do it in a run already occupied by a bunch of float guys.

The two techniques don't mix very well.

Why would it be a problem?

Being good at bottom bouncing is far more technical then float fishing anyway. If someone has enough confidence to walk into a run occupied with a bunch of float guys and bounce it chances are they are good enough at it that it wont be a problem.

Why would it be a problem?

Being good at bottom bouncing is far more technical then float fishing anyway. If someone has enough confidence to walk into a run occupied with a bunch of float guys and bounce it chances are they are good enough at it that it wont be a problem.

True, as long as it's not elbow to elbow.

If there is enough room between anglers there is no problem.

I'm another proponent of bottom bouncing in fast water.

The reverse consideration should be observed as well... He who gets to the hole first "owns the hole". ;)

Agreed. Although make sure you give guys flying at least 4-500 yrds :)

I got yelled at last week for being to close... I don't think the guy was making a drift more then 20ft downstream, lol I was at least 50ft away...

Not to mention the idiot was standing in the middle of the run...