Pinning in the rain

danjang

I was out last night trying to fish in the light rain. I managed to hook two but both were snapped off because it was almost impossible for me to properly palm the reel. The water made the reel super slick so I had to either put a lot of pressure or basically let the spool run free. So how do people overcome this?

-Dan

Welcome to the wonderful world of pinning in the rain :lol:

For me, I’ve got both hands working the palming rim. When I’m using my Islander I’ve got my right hand pinky and ring fingers + left hand palm & thumb working as a break. With my Angspec, I use the same set-up but always have the option flicking the drag on if I’m really desperate (rarely ever needed to use though – I occasionally just use it for carp or salmon off the pier). When I’m fighting fish be it in the rain or in dry conditions, a lot of the time I have my rod angled down to the side, lock the spool handles in place with my left thumb and index finger and play the fish on the rod. Pretty amazing at how little line you need to give when you get used to it.

You can also sacrifice your knuckles to the reel handles in the name of slowing down a big mamma jamma :lol:

I just "finger" the mono instead of the spool......on big water on the initial run, I will sometimes use regular fingr brakes on the rim with the left hand palming as well. Makes you works harder to land those bad boys but the reward is much better. It's more "sporting" IMO when the quarry has a chance of escape.

or you can just get a spinning reel or baitcaster and just crank em like a jeep on a winch.

RR