Something better than Power Pro Ice outside on open ice...

wellis1840

I am planning on joining some friends this winter at ice fishing derbies (Eastern Ontario). Have never ice fished before. Just bought a rod (St Croix Legend), a reel (Abu Cardinal 300) and Power Pro Ice 15 pound line. The salesman suggested Power Pro Ice because it was super strong, very thin, had no memory and great for pike. Not knowing anything about ice line I bought it.

I have since researched it online and have found many people who have tried in on the open ice complained about frozen line and the guides icing up big time. Most stated that in a shack the problem was not there. Since I will be in the open (never in a shack) what line would be better.

Thanks.

Guest gbfisher

I use 30 lb for its size. It's not too thin and easier to use in colder weather. I fish outside. Just add a piece of floro leader.

There's nothing like feeling a tap on your line in deep water. There's no issue with line size when they can't see it.

Pan fish I just use mono.

Edited by gbfisher

I have been using 4lb & 6lb Fireline Micro Ice Crystal with an 18" 3 or 4lb flouro leader for the last couple of seasons, and have had good success with it. I rarely fish inside and I've never had a problem with excessive ice on the line. I have also never had the mainline break on me, but I generally use fairly soft ice rods. On rods with a stiffer action I use flourocarbon mainline.

This year I also bought a couple spools if the Stren equivalent of Micro Ice Crystal.

Looks pretty good, now we just need some ice...

I use the 10Lb Fireline Micro-Ice Cristal.

The odd ice jam when it's really cold. It's not enough to bother me. I use a 6-1/2Lb fl leader for trout and whities.

I would use something heavier if i where going for big pike though..

What species are you going to be fishing for?

Hey Guys thanks for responding.

F-is-H, apparently I have been told I will be after pike only.

Now I am really confused but isn't Fireline Micro Ice Crystal also a braided ice line? If so, won't it react to the cold out on the open ice the same as Power Pro Ice. Please remember I will not be in a shack.

Guest gbfisher

There is no issue using braid in cold weather(-30)...... :rolleyes: but use what you have confidence with.

PP(30lb) hasnt affected how many fish I put through the hole on a good day. (50 plus lakers and whitefish....) :D

You will not have any issues using PP for pike in shallow water or deep.

hope this helps.

wait for it....................... :lol:

Anything will freeze in below zero temps if your fishing outside. You have to maintain your line. As long as its down the hole, it won't freeze. I use PP for deep water jigging, and Berkely Vanish for shallow water, or panfish. I'm running 15lb PP with an 8lb floro lead jigging water over say 20ft deep. I find it really helps getting the hooks in big fish out of deep water, and freezing hasn't been an issue. IT will freeze on your spool if your moving locations, but once you get it back down, its fine again. I find it easier to remove ice build up on braid too.

S.

I use Fireline Crystal all year round. It works fine in the cold. Ice builds up on all line when you're jigging if its cold enough. You have to free the ice from the foot or two of line that is nearest the hole every now and then.

If it's REALLY cold, I usually stay home.