splake fishing!

pike slayer

So trout is closed right now due to them spawning. Splake is open year round. Would it be a good time of the year to target splake? dont they act like they are in spawn mode? also what depths would they be around?? they wouldnt be slowing down right now like pike, bass, walleye or would they with the lower water temps? some help would be great! thanks

hmmmm.....good question...they don't spawn, cause they're hybrids (right?!?) but would they act like they are...? I'd go for it...good time of year for brookies and lakers, but since seasons are closed, go legal and catch brakers :o nice!

don't think they will slow down....they are trout. Colder the water the better they are. I iced fished a lake a few winters ago, and they went nuts on my lure. Not sure what depths to fish thou, but i would say jig them like you would lakers, tip the jig spoon with a minnow too!

I fish a fair amount of splake this time of year. I am heading to my favorite splake lake on Sunday.

I fish them like I would specks: if they are shallow and active I throw spoons, bucktails, small countdown raps, and small swimbaits to catch the lunkers. If they go deep, jigging spoons, jigs and lots of luck. I generally find them cruising the shallows this time of year, hitting pretty aggressivly for awhile and then turning off suddenly.

Edited by singingdog