Waterproof chest/waist packs + underwater cases

MJL

Recently got into photography and digital imagining the last year or so. I guess it stemmed from my last job as a technical writer for Whirlpool (The Whirlpool/Maytag/Kenmore company). I used to be a writer, hand model, photographer and photo enhancing dude for the DIY manuals on how to assemble and disassemble the washing machines + dryers. Well Anyway, I purchased my own camera earlier this year hoping to get more into nature/fishing photography just for my own viewing pleasure (A used Panasonic FZ18 – a more advanced P&S without the heft of a full blown DSLR…Still big nonetheless and doesn’t fit in a pocket very well).

I find I suck at multi-tasking and a lot of times when I’m fishing rivers for steelhead and trout and I’m wading or its raining, I take far less pictures than I would really like…Currently have it in a weather resistant camera bag + plastic bag without holes, but usually that’s tucked away in my backpack on shore. Just wondering if there are any waterproof waist packs or chest packs to shove it in while I’m fishing (even ones not designed for fishing per se) that I should take a look at. Ideally I want something I can strap to myself. It’s no doubt going to be submerged underwater a few times over the years. I already dunked the camera once this year on a brookie hunting mission (It died…Literally). I lucked out when Panasonic actually replaced the damaged parts and sent it back for free within a week and a half.

One other question I have is, anyone ever use the plastic camera housings designed for underwater use? If so, how are they. They look like glorified zip-lock bags with a hard lens (At least the ones for the small cameras do) and they’re relatively inexpensive (Compared to buying a whole new waterproof camera). None of the camera shops around my area carry them and none of them really know anything about them. I’d like to try taking pics of fish underwater while snorkeling (in summer) or creeping up behind them in the river and taking pics of them in their natural environment.

Any help or tips you can give me is much appreciated. Thanks

Here’s the only picture I’ve taken of my fish so far this fall. I played around with it in an HDR program and ran it through Noiseware and like the results.

P1010736_fhdr_filtered.jpg

Mike

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have a panasonic fz50 dslr and found it very difficult and nerve racking to carry when wading. my solution was a small towel and just a normal every day campers drybag. i wrap the camera in the drybag and now carry my dslr in all weather - wading, portaging and all the other scary scenarios i can get my camera into. don't buy the cheap bags as they are not 100% waterproof. they will survive a quick immersion, but will not if you watch your camera float downstream in spring flows.

the drybag is held shut by a simple buckle system similar to what you'd find on a pair of waders so access is quick and timely for fish photos, plus you already have a towel ready for drying your hands before grabbing your camera. i just wish i could figure out a way to take pictures in the rain...

Hey Mike. I used an AquaPac (Company Site) for a while with a Canon S3 and it works with some caveats:

pros:

never leaked

Easy to hang around your neck

Took nice pics under water

easy to use - can take the camera out easily enough if you want to

cons:

Dirty water (grand river for example) would require cleaning the outside of the bag (the 'lens') often

had to remember to remove water droplets from the front to avoid crazy pictures

Hard to use the camera controls through the bag

When my lens extends on start up you had to make sure the camera was lined up right or it wouldn't have enough room to extend

You can see the problems if you don't wipe it clean after soaking it:

1425663500_551b1b7c28_b.jpg

1424775387_d50d731a6a_b.jpg

But if you made sure the camera lens was against the bag 'lens' and wiped off the water you get fine pics:

1424783835_9c9e274c93_b.jpg

And underwater it's fine:

Overall, it worked but I had to get it off ebay and get it shipped here so it was probably not worth it for the money (was probably $80 all in). For not much more I picked up a waterproof/shockproof point and shoot now that I have a kayak as it's much more convenient (though it doesn't have nearly the picture quality of my bigger camera).

If you have any questions just let me know. Fire me a PM and you can borrow mine if you want, it's not being used currently so give it a shot.

Sean

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;itemID=257702

For fraction of the price of a waterproof housing you can get a real waterproof camera (Fujifilm Z33) . . . In my experience with Fujifilm P&S, they produce very decent low light images (little noise @ ISO800) like those dawn/rainy day steelie shots ;)

Seeing you're in Scarboro, go up to P-Mall and check out the Fujifilm Film Developement place at the end of the main building. I'm pretty sure you can get this for ~$170 or less out the door. Seeing it's waterproof, just hang it off of a lanyard into a inside pocket while fishing. Use as required. Long enough lanyard, you can even do underwater shots ;)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/Q209waterproofgroup/

One of the best reviews out there for waterproof cameras.

I plan to pick one up soon as I start wading more often. The DSLR is a hassle as it's too big to bring along on those trips.

Probably more expensive compared to a waterproof case, but worth it in my opinion.

Btw, love that edited photo... i'm really liking the contrast.

Edited by frozen-fire

Mike, I'm about the worst person to be suggesting anything even remotely akin to photography but if I can offer you this ONE tip....

You should post this same question in the photography section of the board. If you like, you can leave it here and post again there or I can move the thread to photography. Your call.

good luck.

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the replies. I'll probably go with Doc's idea of a dry bag. I found a few small dry-bag waist packs online which look like they might fit the bill just right.

Overall, it worked but I had to get it off ebay and get it shipped here so it was probably not worth it for the money (was probably $80 all in). For not much more I picked up a waterproof/shockproof point and shoot now that I have a kayak as it's much more convenient (though it doesn't have nearly the picture quality of my bigger camera).

If you have any questions just let me know. Fire me a PM and you can borrow mine if you want, it's not being used currently so give it a shot.

Sean

Thanks a ton Sean. I was really looking for some sample pictures from the Aquapac. I would probably have a camera dedicated just for underwater pictures and use my other camera for the other pictures if I went the Aquapac route.

At this point in time, I will probably save up for a waterproof camera. Really liked some of the underwater sample pictures I found online from the Canon D10.

Thanks guys

Edited by MJL

Did you see my September in Temagami Post?? Everyone of the pictures with Lloyd or myself in it was taken with my Canon A570 inside it's moulded specific waterproof case. The case has buttons and levers for every function on the camera and works slick. The only draw back is the odd hazy pic from a water drop.. .. and a little more prone to sun angles reflecting off the extra clear lense of the case. Case cost more than the camera though...

Yup...I have the same shell for my Powershot...thing is AMAZING! Too bad the camera itself is crapping out...now I'm faced with the decision to send it to Canon for a flat $150, or start all over. :s

I've been more than happy with my waterproof shell....just my $0.02

Thanks a lot guys. Really appreciate the replies. I'll probably go with Doc's idea of a dry bag. I found a few small dry-bag waist packs online which look like they might fit the bill just right.

Thanks a ton Sean. I was really looking for some sample pictures from the Aquapac. I would probably have a camera dedicated just for underwater pictures and use my other camera for the other pictures if I went the Aquapac route.

At this point in time, I will probably save up for a waterproof camera. Really liked some of the underwater sample pictures I found online from the Canon D10.

Thanks guys

You can see my buddy Sam's underwater housing for his Nikon DSLR in the back ground of this shot. It's probably worth more than all my camera equipment combined!!!! :o

Sam4.jpg

It takes pictures like this. :D

20090921-N33_5715.jpg

He's got a ton of good shots from his recent trip to Alaska here: Sam's Alaska Pics

Edited by DRIFTER_016

He's got a ton of good shots from his recent trip to Alaska here: Sam's Alaska Pics

Those are amazing pics Dave. Photographs like those were the ones to really inspire me to get into photography. I've been googling up waterproof hard cases for DSLRs and the setup that your buddy Sam has looks like it's going to cost me as much as a new car :blink::w00t:

All the salmon/steelhead fishing packages I've looked into for the Northern BC and Alaska all recommended I bring a waterproof camera...Might as well go big for a trip of a lifetime :D

Is that a bead I see in the bottom pic? B)

Those are amazing pics Dave. Photographs like those were the ones to really inspire me to get into photography. I've been googling up waterproof hard cases for DSLRs and the setup that your buddy Sam has looks like it's going to cost me as much as a new car :blink::w00t:

All the salmon/steelhead fishing packages I've looked into for the Northern BC and Alaska all recommended I bring a waterproof camera...Might as well go big for a trip of a lifetime :D

Is that a bead I see in the bottom pic? B)

He's makes his living taking pictures so he's got tons of expensive toys. ;)

He's had lots of photos printed in magazines such as Saltwater Sportsman and others.

Yep, it's a bead. B)

I had an older Olympus C-750 and got an Olympus hard plastic waterproof case for it. I found it was big, heavy and expensive but worked well for me. I only used it snorkelling but it was rated for deeper than the waterproof cameras. It leaked on my brother the first time he used it, but seems happy with it since.

I have a Nikon DSLR and would love to get a completely waterproof case, but the cost, size and weight are all limitations. I purchased a Kata rain cover Kata Rain Cover, which is good for rainy days but by no means perfect.

The more I get interested in a waterproof housing/case, the more I think buying a waterproof camera is the way to go. While I didn't buy the DSLR to sit in the closet, there are times when I should leave it at home. A compact waterproof camera is small, lightweight and some of them are good to 33', which meets the vast majority of the situations you will find yourself in. They, of course, have their own limitations (lack of zoom, speed, etc).

Jon

If you are not afraid to get your face wet for that release shot/video clip, this is for you :

http://www.henrys.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se...p;itemID=257661

You might not want to test drive it at the community pool though . . . :whistling:

Seriously, I think the dedicated underwater P/S camera would be your best bet for a reasonable price. I'm sure there is a model out there that offers the image quality for your requirement. It will never beat the dSLR on that front, but doesn't cost you a big chunk of the fishing budget either. Just think of the convenient factor without hiring a film crew to handle the dSLR . . .

My $0.02