Question for the Center-Pinners?

rbaquial

Hey Folks,

I was out earlier today with a few buddies, been using the UNI-KNOT ever since I 1st learned/heard about it. Its been holding up really well - Anyway, my question is...

- WHAT KNOT DO YOU USE TO SECURE YOUR HOOK TO YOUR LEADER? ANY SPECIFIC REASON WHY? (IE: Easier to tie? Knot strength?)

I'm just trying to get a general idea of what people use...and what their reasoning is. I'm liking the UNI-KNOT, just curious on what other "more popular" knots that Center-Pinners use...

Thanks,

A2F

PS: I've tried searching the board already (and Google) - no luck.

Edited by A2F

I have used this knot for thirty years now, always used an up eye hook, never had an issue with knot strength.

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/whip_finish.htm

I use it because I think I get better hook sets, because of the direction of pull and the alignment of the hook when it is tied to the shank. I also use it cause I run a lot of yarn, making them on the water as this is an eggloop style knot and lends itself to quickly to yarn.

I just take about an inch of yarn and insert it under the line between the knot and the eye of the hook, Slide the knot up to the eye and while holding the bend of the hook pull on the line to tighten. Grab both ends of the yarn and pull them and trim the yarn in a curve so that the yarn flairs in a ball to looks like a single egg. Maybe retighten to get a better flair if necessary. Often I will mix colours, like a peach egg with a few strands of red added so it looks like an eyed egg. If I am running roe bags and don't have the hot colour for the day, I will add a few long strands of yarn in that colour so that my bag looks like it has a pice of skein attached.

A piece of white yarn left untrimmed is a flesh fly. Sure many of the steelheaders made note of drifter's beads, yarn lends itself to the same creativity somewhat and its buoyancy gives it possibly a more natural drift.

I have used this knot for thirty years now, always used an up eye hook, never had an issue with knot strength.

http://www.steelheader.net/knots/whip_finish.htm

I use it because I think I get better hook sets, because of the direction of pull and the alignment of the hook when it is tied to the shank. I also use it cause I run a lot of yarn, making them on the water as this is an eggloop style knot and lends itself to quickly to yarn.

I just take about an inch of yarn and insert it under the line between the knot and the eye of the hook, Slide the knot up to the eye and while holding the bend of the hook pull on the line to tighten. Grab both ends of the yarn and pull them and trim the yarn in a curve so that the yarn flairs in a ball to looks like a single egg. Maybe retighten to get a better flair if necessary. Often I will mix colours, like a peach egg with a few strands of red added so it looks like an eyed egg. If I am running roe bags and don't have the hot colour for the day, I will add a few long strands of yarn in that colour so that my bag looks like it has a pice of skein attached.

A piece of white yarn left untrimmed is a flesh fly. Sure many of the steelheaders made note of drifter's beads, yarn lends itself to the same creativity somewhat and its buoyancy gives it possibly a more natural drift.

I forgot about this one, this knot every steelheader should know how to tie.....yarn is a go to bait on the Niagara come winter time

I use just a simple clinch as it's quick and is easier to tie properly (which is important given the number of times that one re-ties when Steelheading, especially in snag-filled water). The improved clinch is a stronger knot however it must be tied perfectly, otherwise a well tied clinch is stronger than a poorly tied improved clinch.

Sorry about the long answer.

Google 'Orvis Knot'. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this knot. There is no knot stronger than this one. I've tried them all in 50+ years of fishing.

I saw a fly finshing show about 15 years ago made by Orvis(naturally). They had a contest to find the strongest fising knot (leader to fly/hook). This is the one that won. The guy demonstrating it consistently broke the leader before the knot broke. So I did my own testing at home. I simply took a small barrel swivel and attchedet it to the leg of a table using some 30lb dacron. To the other end I tested fresh 4, 6, 8 and 10 lb test mono and leader materials (one at a time , of course). Using a pair of leather work gloves I pulled. The majority of the time the line broke somewher above the knot. I tried my favourite knots (clinch and its derivatives, Polamar, uni, etc.) and the majority of the time the line broke at the knot. A few times the line broke above the knot.

Next I tested the Orvis knot against all the other knots head to head. Again I used 4, 6, 8 and 10 lb test mono and floro. One one end of the barrel swivel I tied the Orvis knot and on the other I would tie my other test knot. I wrapped one free end around my boot and the other free end around the work glove. I pulled straight up. The Orvis knot just wouldn't break. Every other knot would break first or the line would break.

After that day I have 100% full confidence in the Orvis knot. Every time I tie this knot I still have doubts because of the way it looks but it is very rare that I have it break on me. Usually it breaks after hours of fishing without retying. I think that the hook hinging breaks down the mon/floro eventually.

I aslo did similar testing for the Orvis tippet knot against the surgen's knot, barrel knot and double uni knot for joing a tippet to my mainline. The Orvis tippet knot won hands down. Again don't be fooled by its simplicity.

Here's alink to the Orvis site for the knots.

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

Try testing it, you will be surprised. With a little practise you'll find that it is a very easy knot to tie also.

Yes I use the polamar knot often when using heavier lins and the uni knot to join two line together (as in mainline to backing), but day in day out I go with the Orvis knot for 10lb or less attached to the busines end. I find I can horse a fish more often as I know the knot will hold.

muddler

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i use the palomar. i don't like using the clinch knot with fluorocarbon... it has a much thinner diameter than mono creating a weakpoint where the line is attached to the hook. i find comfort in the fact that there is double pass of fluoro on the eye of the hook. i also find it to be much less visible than the clinch, and if i can see it, so can the steelies in the gin clear superior tribs.

What does the center pin reel have to do with the knot you use?? Silly question if you ask me............use whatever works for you in any fishing situation. The reel you use makes no difference.

S.

No, but the setups commonly used when float fishing do :)

I think that's what the OP was referring to.