Stupid question

mistaredone

We all hear about Niagra,BOQ and St L muskys. What about the rest of lake O? Hamilton? Toronto Islands? Frenchmans? I know there is alot of pike in these areas but with the size of the body of water cant there be both? Do gizzard shad spawn in these areas? Sorry I tried searching this info on the net but no good results. Anyone put in any time or are we talking needle in a haystack?

Apparently there is supposed to be a few of the islands but I have never seen any pictures or reports.

The Duck islands in the east end are rumoured to have some, your best bet is the east end from prince edward county to kingston.

Quinte coughs out some very large fish irregularly, it used to be a great muskie fishery. I have seen a picture from the turn of the century of a stringer of 8-10 muskies from quinte.

Who knows how migratory the fish are in the east end.

Just keep trollin!!

They are there, but as mentioned, it's not easy to catch them.

My uncle works at the Pickering nuke station and sees the odd muskie get sucked against the water intake grill, along with numerous other species. They have to pull it up to clean it and there's always a lot of fish trapped against the grill. They just get too close or are already dead or weak and float towards the intake.

I've heard of muskie being hooked by shore anglers at the mouth of the Credit River in Mississauga. A rare occurance, but it does happen. Probably any large rivermouth around Lake Ontario attracts baitfish and has the potential for holding a ski or two. There's little structure,

if any, so these fish roam a very large area of open water. That's why it's like finding a needle in a haystack. The east end of Lake Ontario has much more structure and prefered habitat and therefore, logically and factually, holds more muskie than the rest of the lake. There's also more current where the lake starts to narrow towards the St. Larry, attracting other species that the skies feed on.

I would think there's a few around the Toronto islands because they spawn in the same areas as pike and frequent similar water temp. and habitats. Not as numerous as the pike though, so again, not easy to catch one here.

Give it a try. Even if you don't get one, at least you tried and spent some time fishing.

Good luck !!!

I read in musky hunter mag that Hamilton Harbor is cleaning up and the musky are coming back.

The MNR used electro fishing to see the health of all fish in the harbor and found some musky swimming around well floating around.IF you ever want to give it a try I will be happy to go in your boat and help you find them :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff

I saw one caught off of Pickering many years ago, there in the Niagara R. and St. Lawrence as well,

but muskies aren't open water roamers they like structure and reefs of which there is little in mid-lake.

Definite needle in the haystack in western L. Ontario, could be a big one out there however!

There was a mid 40"s- 30 pounder caught off St Catharines this spring, 30 fow, on a Rapala J-13 behind a downrigger.

Lake_O_Muskie.jpg

They're out there, probably some big ones, some big Pike as well I bet. You could spend your lifetime looking for them...

Edited by Pigeontroller

I read in musky hunter mag that Hamilton Harbor is cleaning up and the musky are coming back.

The MNR used electro fishing to see the health of all fish in the harbor and found some musky swimming around well floating around.IF you ever want to give it a try I will be happy to go in your boat and help you find them :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim: :thumbsup_anim:

Jeff

Im still waiting for my new motor after getting the old one stolen. I have my fingers crossed to get back on the water soon. Your welcome to join the hunt.