Hikes with our students and stream re-hab/hatchery..

siwash

Hey folks,

I have started an outdoor club at my high school where I teach. We're located near BPS. We're considering where to head for our first day hike...we're either going to staying local (Humber Valley/Kortright Centre) or go north.. MAybe even Algonquin for a day.

Any suggestion for good, scenic full day hikes in south-central Ontario? I thinking something within 2.5 hour drive.

Thanks!

p.s. We also want to start a hatchery and help out with stream re-hab along the Humber...

any input or perhaps association out there that would appreciate a group of enthusiastic teens? Does the equivalent to the CRAA exist for the Humber?

Much appreciated...

Edited by swordfish

Hi there I Sent you a PM with the OMNR contact for the region, we don thave a presence on humber but would like to form a chapter there

I just responded.. disregard my question. I now realize your contact is OMNR, which is great! thanks buddy!

Metro East Anglers has supplied fish for school hatcheries in the past. We operate Ringwood Hatchery on highway 48 near Stouville. We will be there Wednesday evenings after 5:00pm and Sunday mornings starting at 9:00am to care for the Chinook eggs.

You can drop by on either of those days if you are interesting in seeing the operation. Other times and/or a group tour with your students can be arranged if you contact us in advance.

Let me know if you are interested.

Metro East Anglers has supplied fish for school hatcheries in the past. We operate Ringwood Hatchery on highway 48 near Stouville. We will be there Wednesday evenings after 5:00pm and Sunday mornings starting at 9:00am to care for the Chinook eggs.

You can drop by on either of those days if you are interesting in seeing the operation. Other times and/or a group tour with your students can be arranged if you contact us in advance.

Let me know if you are interested.

A tour would be cool. How long do they last? Do you give a background on the salmonid stocing program in the Great Lakes?

Thanks